Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Capped energy bills, WTF Theresa...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The only way to improve pricing is to have greater competition between the suppliers, and also to make it more easy and simple to switch suppliers, Many people already do look around and switch suppliers, but there is still a resistance/reluctance to change which needs to be overcome.

Which is all well and good for those able to switch. There are 2.3m families in fuel poverty who are unable to because they have had to switch to 'pay as you go' after being unable to keep up with the bills and now have to VERY slowly pay back their debt. The suppliers can charge these people whatever they like because they can't move. Therefore the poorest people are the ones that pay the most.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry, run that one by me again. I'm not the OP here.
I know you're not, but heathgate was saying it's no more populist than Corbyn promising extra bank holidays (and suggested those that disagree take their blinkers off) and you replied showing how the Daily Mail is also blinkered. Is the Daily Mail the standard you want to compare yourself to? Of course the Daily Mail is blinkered, it's an awful hate filled rag.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I know you're not, but heathgate was saying it's no more populist than Corbyn promising extra bank holidays (and suggested those that disagree take their blinkers off) and you replied showing how the Daily Mail is also blinkered. Is the Daily Mail the standard you want to compare yourself to? Of course the Daily Mail is blinkered, it's an awful hate filled rag.

I get you. The DM is not the only organ of the right to have performed a speedy about turn on this issue, just the easiest one to find googleable evidence of in a short space of time. The Conservative Party itself was arguing on the same lines at the time. Are they awful and hate filled?

And FWIW, of course Corbyn's proposal is populist. It's just not quite as hypocritical.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I get you. The DM is not the only organ of the right to have performed a speedy about turn on this issue, just the easiest one to find googleable evidence of in a short space of time.
I wouldn't listen to the right wing propaganda that said it was a bad idea when Miliband had it, and I won't listen to them now they say it's a good idea. I also won't listen to the left wing propaganda. Left and right wing papers are always full of shit. I just see what each policy is and judge whether I think it's a good idea or not. Regarding the tariff cap - meh, there are more important things to worry about.

The Conservative Party itself was arguing on the same lines at the time. Are they awful and hate filled?
Well they certainly have their moments. They have more than their fair share of selfish MPs.

And FWIW, of course Corbyn's proposal is populist. It's just not quite as hypocritical.
I don't understand the idea of more bank holidays - won't that cost the country money that we can't afford?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't understand the idea of more bank holidays - won't that cost the country money that we can't afford?

It is said that the money generated by people doing things on those days would balance out the loss in productivity. To which some bright spark said 'Why don't we have every day off then?'

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
May only taking questions from pre-arranged journalists with questions stated in advance in a room full of suits today.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
daft when Labour suggested it, daft when Conservatives suggest it. its counter productive too, energy prices have risen above cost for the past 6 months since it was first floated.
Completely agree. Ridiculous popularist shìte from two very poor politicians in Milliband and May.

I won't be voting for Corbyn and his 4 new public holidays idea is certainly popularist, but personally I think that is a really good policy. We only get 8 public holidays a year, lagging well behind the rest of Europe including those countries with well functioning economies.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It's bloody exhausting isn't it. What I did find funny was Labour, and their new policy of giving everyone free hospital parking, UKIP already had that one down years ago.

Yep, actually Labour and the Tories have hijacked a few of UKIP policies, obviously few looked at the UKIP policies and manifestos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here