Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Retained List

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The club release says four contracts have been offered to players and Ankergren a coaching job. That says to me that Ankergren hasn't been offered a playing contract.

But that doesn't mean he's retired (yet), he's still got an option to reject our contract if he fancies continuing his (not) playing (very much) career somewhere else. I fully expect him to accept the deal we've offered him and for him to announce his retirement in the next couple of weeks (until an injury crisis forces him to re-register as a player in January).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If a goalkeeper crisis hit us he could sign at anytime not wait until January unless he had signed to play for any other league club while coaching for us as he will be a free agent.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
If a goalkeeper crisis hit us he could sign at anytime not wait until January unless he had signed to play for any other league club while coaching for us.

It was a joke, besides which even if he re-registered he couldn't be part of the first team squad until January.

Please explain how he can coach for us while having a playing contract at another league club? He's likely be be busy training for his new club at the same time he should be coaching our goalkeepers? How exactly will that work?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was a joke, besides which even if he re-registered he couldn't be part of the first team squad until January.

Please explain how he can coach for us while having a playing contract at another league club? He's likely be be busy training for his new club at the same time he should be coaching our goalkeepers? How exactly will that work?

Didnt Michel Kuipers work for AITC and also play for Crawley,

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is massively different to holding a coaching role at one club and playing for another league club.

He could sign for a club to be used as a cover keeper only. I know for a fact that Barry Lloyd wanted to sign a keeper who played for St Albans (ex league keeper) who worked for his brothers football school just to sit on the bench as cover for 1st team games.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
He could sign for a club to be used as a cover keeper only. I know for a fact that Barry Lloyd wanted to sign a keeper who played for St Albans (ex league keeper) who worked for his brothers football school just to sit on the bench as cover for 1st team games.

Again a massively different situation to this idea of yours that Casper could somehow accept a coaching role with us and have a playing contract at another league club.

If he signs any form of playing contract with another club, even if he'll be 3rd choice keeper, he will be expected to be at training for them every day leaving no chance of him having a coaching role at any other club. He could work in some capacity for AITC which will be a part time role rather like Kuipers did but his first priority will be his playing contract.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As an example he could coach with us and sit on the bench as cover for Portsmouth, Gillingham or Crawley, as a cheap option to not employ a full time back up keeper or even at Whirtehawk, Eastbourne Lewes or Hastings where Hinshlewood is. He would not be required by us on a Saturday or midweek evening game.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
As an example he coukld coach with us and sit on the bench as cover for Portsmouth, Gillingham or Crawley, as a cheap option to not employ a full timeback up keeper or even at Whirtehawk, Eastbourne Lewes or Hastings where Hinshlewood is.

There is no chance he could do that at Portsmouth, Gillingham or Crawley, all their playing staff will be full time. They will want their registered players training for them every day so they are fully drilled in set pieces, formations and tactics etc. No club at that level will have a part time second choice keeper cause what do they do if their first choice keeper gets injured?

It's possible at the likes of Whitehawk etc if they are part time but that wasn't your original argument. Hinshlewood has left his role at Brighton to join Hastings which further disproves your theory.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would say Ince is good enough for the championship. Lets not forget how good he was. He absolute bossed things against Arsenal in the cup.

A bit OTT. He did play well against Arsenal though and looked like he could function in a man-marking role in midfield.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is no chance he could do that at Portsmouth, Gillingham or Crawley, all their playing staff will be full time. They will want their registered players training for them every day so they are fully drilled in set pieces, formations and tactics etc. No club at that level will have a part time second choice keeper cause what do they do if their first choice keeper gets injured?

It's possible at the likes of Whitehawk etc if they are part time but that wasn't your original argument. Hinshlewood has left his role at Brighton to join Hastings which further disproves your theory.

So why was Barry Lloyd prepared to do that for us as the man in question wouldnt have trained with us and we were full time and he was offered £100 plus expenses to just turn up and sit on the bench with an extra £50 if he had to come on during the game and play any part of it. I know this as an irrefutable fact.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
So why was Barry Lloyd prepared to do that for us as the man in question wouldnt have trained with us and we were full time and he was offered £100 plus expenses to just turn up and sit on the bench with an extra £50 if he had to come on during the game and play any part of it. I know this as an irrefutable fact.

I don't know but football has moved on massively from when Barry Lloyd managed Brighton, it was nearly 30 years ago so has no bearing on what is likely to happen in today's game.

What would Portsmouth do if their first choice goalkeeper got injured straight after the transfer window closed and all that had was Casper Ankergren who was only on a part time contract and hadn't even trained with their squad? He's a registered senior player so they can't even apply for a keeper under an emergency loan.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At the time Mark Beeney had been sold to clear bank charges and the only keeper other than youth that we had was Perry Digweed. I could well imagine Crawley being in a similar position to save money and waiting for young keepers to be ready to be thrown in..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't know but football has moved on massively from when Barry Lloyd managed Brighton, it was nearly 30 years ago so has no bearing on what is likely to happen in today's game.

What would Portsmouth do if their first choice goalkeeper got injured straight after the transfer window closed and all that had was Casper Ankergren who was only on a part time contract and hadn't even trained with their squad? He's a registered senior player so they can't even apply for a keeper under an emergency loan.

If it was a long term injury they could still ask for a loan as they need 2 keepers.so the loan comes in and plays and CA continues as back up or they do a deal with us as keepers training with the squad everyday is not of the paramount importance that a Striker Midfielder or CB would be.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
At the time Mark Beeney had been sold to clear bank charges and the only keeper other than youth that we had was Perry Digweed. I could well imagine Crawley being in a similar position to save money and waiting for young keepers to be ready to be thrown in..

Its never going to happen in the modern game, no club is going to take the risk of having a part time player to sit on the bench as it leaves a massive hole in their squad should the first choice keeper get injured when the transfer window is closed. They'd be stuck with a part time keeper and a bunch of kids or desperately looking be for a free agent. It's the kind of risk that would see a manager sacked fairly quickly when it went wrong and managers have have short enough job expectancy as it is. That's without trying to emulate something Barry Lloyd thought might be a good idea 30 years ago at a club that had just sold their keeper to pay a tax bill and avoid a winding up petition.

If it was a long term injury they could still ask for a loan as they need 2 keepers.so the loan comes in and plays and CA continues as back up or they do a deal with us as keepers training with the squad everyday is not of the paramount importance that a Striker Midfielder or CB would be.

They cannot get an emergency keeper as they can only be signed if all senior keepers are injured. If they have one fit and a have to put a youth team player on the bench then the rules state that is enough and any emergency loan move would be refused.

It's why we recalled Walton from loan after Maenpaa got injured in the FA Cup as any injury to Stockdale after the window closed would have seen us playing with Ankergren in goal and one of the development keepers on the bench.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo;794 They cannot get an emergency keeper as they can only be signed if all senior keepers are injured. If they have one fit and a have to put a youth team player on the bench then the rules state that is enough and any emergency loan move would be refused. It's why we recalled Walton from loan after Maenpaa got injured in the FA Cup as any injury to Stockdale after the window closed would have seen us playing with Ankergren in goal and one of the development keepers on the bench.[/QUOTE said:
All rules are made to be got over and I would think that is the simplest one to circumvent, I could do it so I am sure more experienced men than me at the club could, if they wished.. In our case the end product, ie promotion was the deciding factor I would think. That is unlikely to be the case at Crawley.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
All rules are made to be got over and I would think that is the simplest one to circumvent, I could do it so I am sure more experienced men than me at the club could, if they wished.. In our case the end product, ie promotion was the deciding factor I would think. That is unlikely to be the case at Crawley.

So you'd break the rules and lie about keepers being injured, even though it needs independent verification that all senior goalkeepers are injured. You'd then repeat this process every 7 days because each emergency loan deal is for a week. All this just to sign a part time keeper to sit on the bench to save a few quid. Next you'll be suggesting getting Sly Stallone to jump on someone's arm just before they check the injuries.

Crawley might not be looking at promotion as an end goal but having a proper goalkeeping setup might be the difference between them staying in League 2 and getting relegated to The National League.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sorry but I do not have anymore time to discuss this with you as I am going to bed you keep to your ideals. I know what happens in practice. so we must agree to disagree with no winner or ,loser.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here