Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Retained List

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where was Fikayo Tomori and Paul Nevin yesterday ?

Poco was there as a loanee, where was Apkom?

I think to receive a league medal, the player had to play at least 5 games. Obviously our own squad players like Maenpaa, & Walton, were there, but didn't get a medal.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think the U18s played their last game over the weekend. The "list" covers them as well, so perhaps we were just waiting until they had finished their fixtures as well. I think it'll be today or tomorrow.

Whilst that may be the case, I wouldn't count on it. I'm pretty sure last season the club never even made an announcement about which scholars had been offered professional contracts and which had been released.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'd imagine some of the fringe players will be left in no doubt that they won't be considered for PL football next season and possibly offered a settlement to leave and a chance to get a new club.

I think they'd probably work that out. Doesn't mean they can just stop paying them if nobody wants to take them on as a loanee or puts in a suitable offer. Happens all the time. .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think to receive a league medal, the player had to play at least 5 games. Obviously our own squad players like Maenpaa, & Walton, were there, but didn't get a medal.

I think that's to get a medal from the EFL - the club can buy additional medals for players who haven't played five games

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"I want to fight for my first team place in the Premier League. Give us chance."

"I want to play regular football. And I'm not getting a fair chance."
Return to Sender.

NB: When we got promoted back in '79, there a was at least one player (Peter O'Sullivan) that stepped up to the mark very well for at least one season.

All in the air. My main point, is that I do no expect too many signings. Unlike last season when we rightly went for strength in depth. This new season we might need genuine quality.

Anyrate, honouring contracts worth both ways. At least until January.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I thought I saw them all pick up medals including Rob Hunt. I remember being pleased to see Maenpaa pick up his because I heard he wouldn't because of this rule. Are you sure the rule doesn't include bench appearances?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I thought I saw them all pick up medals including Rob Hunt. I remember being pleased to see Maenpaa pick up his because I heard he wouldn't because of this rule. Are you sure the rule doesn't include bench appearances?

Thought I saw them get a medal too.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
2) Each 25-man squad must include at least eight 'home-grown' players. :mad: This is suddenly looking a lot more confusing.

This won't present much of an issue to Albion. There are up to 12/13 players that meet that criteria (depending, of course, on contract extensions and who gets included in the 25-man squad):- Baldock, Duffy, Dunk, Goldson, Hunt, March, Murray, Norwood, Rosenior, Sidwell, Stephens, Stockdale and Walton.

The current members of the first-team squad who (on a quick glance) don't qualify as HGP's are:- Bong, Forren, Hemed, Huenemeier, Kayal, Knockaert, Maenpaa, Murphy, Pocognoli, Bruno, Skalak and Towell.

I have ignored Ince, LuaLua and Manu in the above analysis.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thought I saw them get a medal too.

I was watching on you tube and Hunt, Walton, Ankergren and whoever else came on in that first group of four did not receive medals.

Correction; Maenpaa did get a medal. Ankergren, Hunt, Walton and Towell didn't. This is my photo from Sunday.

13.jpg

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This won't present much of an issue to Albion. There are up to 12/13 players that meet that criteria (depending, of course, on contract extensions and who gets included in the 25-man squad):- Baldock, Duffy, Dunk, Goldson, Hunt, March, Murray, Norwood, Rosenior, Sidwell, Stephens, Stockdale and Walton.

The current members of the first-team squad who (on a quick glance) don't qualify as HGP's are:- Bong, Forren, Hemed, Huenemeier, Kayal, Knockaert, Maenpaa, Murphy, Pocognoli, Bruno, Skalak and Towell.

Ah I see, when I read home grown I thought they meant from the Brighton area. It was a bit late when I read this :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Sorry to be pedantic but Jamie Murphy was born in Glasgow.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Murphy?

Also is Duffy classed as Irish or NI and does Ireland count as home grown?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sorry to be pedantic but Jamie Murphy was born in Glasgow.

Murphy?

Also is Duffy classed as Irish or NI and does Ireland count as home grown?

To quote from the Premier League squad listing:-

An HGP means a player who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

The nationality of Murphy and Duffy doesn't come into it.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What did the Scottish FA do to upset the PL?

I assume the FAW clubs are included because the senior Welsh clubs play in the English football pyramid system. It would be a nonsense if players developed in the Cardiff City or Swansea City academies didn't count as home-grown players for those clubs, but the Premier League therefore has to extend that throughout the competition. There is no such consideration for Scottish clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here