Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Retained List

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think the U18s played their last game over the weekend. The "list" covers them as well, so perhaps we were just waiting until they had finished their fixtures as well. I think it'll be today or tomorrow.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn't see Elvis, Ince or LuaLua at the parade.

Even though they will be in contract next season it looks like they are gone.

I was going to say this, also none of them were in Vegas, but Walton & Hunt were.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
when we last played Arsenal we hardly touched the ball in first half.

We only lost 3-2. We had JFC, Holla, Ince starting in midfield and they had Rosicky, Ozil and Ramsey. We had Baldock and COG up front, they had Giroud and Walcott...

Bit different now :lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Didn't see Elvis, Ince or LuaLua at the parade.

Even though they will be in contract next season it looks like they are gone.

they're not gone though are they, they're still under contract. The club will either have to mutually agree an end to their contracts, loan them out or sell them.
With Elvis they might find that difficult.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Whilst in an ideal world give present squad a chance have to face facts and say as the gulf between Premier League and championship is so great so many of these players are just not good enough. Our players as part of promotion squad must have decent value and now is time to sell Skalak Hemed Baldock etc who have no chance of getting a game next season. Appreciate season will be defined on results against West Brom Stoke Bournmouth etc but when we last played Arsenal we hardly touched the ball in first half.
I know it's only opinions at this stage, but mine is that Skalak, Hemed and Baldock will all stay. After all, Boyd, Vokes and Barnes all turned out to be good enough for the Prem with Burnley and I would say they are little different.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
they're not gone though are they, they're still under contract. The club will either have to mutually agree an end to their contracts, loan them out or sell them.
With Elvis they might find that difficult.
Yes, of course. We have to pay them even they are not in the 25 man squad.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Hughton thought Hunt wasn't ready for the Championship last season I'd be very surprised if he now thinks after a few months at Oldham Athletic he's ready to compete with Bruno in the Premier League.

It's called development. If he is going to make the grade, he will be more ready than he was a year ago. A year older, a year wiser, and a year more experienced, and all that. Whether he's ready enough yet remains to be seen.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rosenior is already contracted for next season.

I think the Albion will honour all the existing contracts with a place in the 25 man squad (unless a player wants to leave?), some of which only last until 2018; or another club makes a bid. That means there will not be many places (2 or 3?) available for the 25 man squad.

Excludes loaned players https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/brighton-amp-hove-albion/kader/verein/1237/saison_id/2016

PL 25 squad rules
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-premier-league-25-man-squad-3349993

"An Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences.

Hunt and Walton do not count.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think the Albion will honour all the existing contracts with a place in the 25 man squad (unless a player wants to leave?), some of which only last until 2018; or another club makes a bid. That means there will not be many places (2 or 3?) available for the 25 man squad.

Excludes loaned players https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/brighton-amp-hove-albion/kader/verein/1237/saison_id/2016

PL 25 squad rules
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-premier-league-25-man-squad-3349993
Not a chance Elvis and Ince will be in the 25 man squad. Doubt LuaLua will be either.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's called development. If he is going to make the grade, he will be more ready than he was a year ago. A year older, a year wiser, and a year more experienced, and all that. Whether he's ready enough yet remains to be seen.
The issue at hand isn't development ( and thanks for your explanation, who knew eh? ) but about the first team squad for the Premier League.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not a chance Elvis and Ince will be in the 25 man squad. Doubt LuaLua will be either.

I'm trying to work out how many are.

Manu, Ince, Towell, Lualua all have contracts to 2018.

+ 19 players in contract (including Hunt and Walton) = 23

excluding both left backs, and two keepers. And Sidwell.

So almost at best we have 19 regulars who played a part last season and still in contract. Five players to renew only leaves room for three over 21 signings. That's with Sidwell offered a new contract and Manu, Ince, Towell, Lualua, Walton*,Towell and Hunt all leaving. ? I think this means they will be all in the retained list but not in the 25 man squad ? *I think keepers can be recalled at short notice?

Not sure about my arithmetic.

Stockdale (renew)
Bruno Duffy Dunk Bong (renew)
Knockaert Stephens Kayal March
Baldock Murray

Keeper (new) or Mäenpää (?)
Rosenoir Hünemeier Goldson Pocognoli (signing)
Murphy Norwood Sidwell (renew) Skalák
Forward (new) Hemed

Lualua (?) Ince (?) Towell (?) Hunt(?) Walton (?) Ankergen (???) Retained list but not he 25 man squad ?

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm trying to work out how many are.

Manu, Ince, Towell, Lualua all have contracts to 2018.

+ 19 players in contract (including Hunt and Walton) = 23

excluding both left backs, and two keepers. And Sidwell.

So almost at best we have 19 regulars who played a part last season and still in contract. Five players to renew only leaves room for three over 21 signings. That's with Sidwell offered a new contract and Manu, Ince, Towell, Lualua, Walton*,Towell and Hunt all leaving. ? I think this means they will be all in the retained list but not in the 25 man squad ? *I think keepers can be recalled at short notice?

Not sure about my arithmetic.

I'd imagine some of the fringe players will be left in no doubt that they won't be considered for PL football next season and possibly offered a settlement to leave and a chance to get a new club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The issue at hand isn't development ( and thanks for your explanation, who knew eh? ) but about the first team squad for the Premier League.
Yes, so half a season's experience at Oldham may have brought him up to readiness to become a back up RB in the first team squad. It may not, of course, but whether it has or hasn't will be up to CH to decide. After all, every established PL player was once a rookie with no first team/PL experience. If good enough, a young player doesn't have to remain with the Dev. Squad or be out on loan until they are 23 (which seems to be the mind-set of many).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here