Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
In a nutshell, longer contract and more money was the deciding factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I wonder if he would have held on to Dunkys back pass from last week. One of the many things we will never know.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
In a nutshell, longer contract and more money was the deciding factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A decorator I know told me Stockers was really tight with money wouldn't pay £150 a day labour which is very average. So I would imagine it iwas all about the money on offer.

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London

It makes me laugh when players say "It's not about money, it's about family reasons, I needed a bit longer on my contract". So money then. Nothing wrong with that at all, but don't pretend it's about family.

Also think he's a complete pussy for not being brave enough to back himself in the Premier League and forcing Hughton to make him our number 1 and give him a longer term contract through his performances. If he'd have done that then his family would have even more security. He clearly can't rate himself that highly, although I guess he's a better judge of his own ability than we are, so maybe he's right.

I'm never one to slate players just because they leave us, I think it's pathetic, but something about his departure doesn't sit right with me. I'm sure he won't be too bothered though.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I was a huge fan of Stockdale, even when he was taking a lot of slack in his first season, I liked his style and felt he was unfairly treated by some fans at times.

However this whole business has really put me off the guy, he is using his family to justify earning more money, which is fine we all want to do the best for our family, but at the end of the day hes gone for more money in the long term. He behaved like a complete moron on social media and really has come out the other side of this looking like a bit of a dick in my view. which is a real shame.

Decent performances in the Premier league could have landed him a much larger contract next season, but instead now he is with Harry and the Lads who will be a bang average mid table side at best and he will be forgotten about.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I do totally understand the thing about his daughter and schooling but I think it's to some extent a convenient hook to hang a hat on. I understand we were already well into the process of bringing Ryan in and Stockdale knew he would start as second choice. Again fair play. Some can handle that and some can't. He's certainly had plenty of that earlier in his career.
I also know he is on less per week at Blues (where he was promised first choice) than he was here for a shorter contract extension.
in a year's time he would have been (if all goes to plan) making way for Walton so looking for a new deal elsewhere anyway. His choice to take a longer deal somewhere now probably isn't so daft in that context.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I was a huge fan of Stockdale, even when he was taking a lot of slack in his first season, I liked his style and felt he was unfairly treated by some fans at times.

However this whole business has really put me off the guy, he is using his family to justify earning more money, which is fine we all want to do the best for our family, but at the end of the day hes gone for more money in the long term. He behaved like a complete moron on social media and really has come out the other side of this looking like a bit of a dick in my view. which is a real shame.

Decent performances in the Premier league could have landed him a much larger contract next season, but instead now he is with Harry and the Lads who will be a bang average mid table side at best and he will be forgotten about.

Totally perplexed by Stockdale's decision.

He certainly puts his family first. According to the interview, he wanted a longer contract because his daughter is taking exams. She's in Year 11 now, so I'm unclear as to how moving to Birmingham has helped her.

In addition, according to wikipedia Stockdale married his fiancée Kate on 3 June 2011, missing out on a place in the England squad for the Euro 2012 qualifier with Switzerland the following day.

He could easily have stayed here. Even if his contract was extended by just a year and he was on an average £30,000 a week, his family are not exactly going to starve, and I'd imagine in the course of his career he would have had ample opportunities to either a) continue playing as Number 1 for the Albion, or transfer to a club in the north, closer to his family.

I fear he had his chance, and he muffed it. It's very unlikely - not impossible - that he'll get that opportunity again.

Paul Barber also stated that he had a great relationship with Stockdale's agent, so clearly there was no skullduggery behind the scenes. David just wanted a 4 year contract and we didn't offer it. Clearly, he is a risk averse chap who likes certainty - I guess you might say they are the qualities of a great keeper.

I feel no bitterness towards him. He was a great servant to us. He pulled of great saves and earned us points. He was fantastic during the Shoreham air disaster, and by all accounts very popular. He'll still have a high status in my book and I'll cheer himont his return to the Amex whenever it happens.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In an interview he gave shortly after the move, the reason he gave for going to Birmingham was the PASSHUN of the fans there, after seeing them celebrating behind the goal at Bristol when they stayed up on the final day. Now its all about the family ?

Make your mind up Dave.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I thought it was any deliberate back pass?

When the law was first introduced, they gave an extreme example of a player kneeling down and using his head to pass back along the ground. They said that would not be allowed.

No, you often see a defender heading back to his keeper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here