Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Cortois? Cech? De Gea? Joe Hart? Only joking - quite agree with the point you are making.

If we do have to get a keeper in to replace Stockdale (and I hope he stays) I suppose Boruc from B'muff might be a possibility now they've made a big-money GK signing. Like Stockdale, he has his moments (!) but would, I guess, be a realistic possibility.

I'm with you here. Finding an upgrade on Stockdale is nowhere near as easy as some may have you think. Even Boruc... An upgrade? Not for me... He's a liability. The standard you need to stay in the Premier League is now very high. Look at the first choices of the bottom 5:

Sunderland - Pickford - People reckon he'll go for £30m (madness - but illustrative of the value of a good young 'keeper);
Middlesbrough - Guzan - Terrible;
Hull - Marshall - Signed last summer for £5m and is 32. A good stopper, but a year older than Stockdale and likely to still command a decent fee;
Watford - Gomes - Similar to what some say of Stockdale, capable of worldies and stupid errors and 35 years old so would only be a short term stop-gap;
Burnley - Heaton - A regular in the England squad, and an excellent 'keeper. At 31, likely to command a fee at least similar to that paid by Hull for Marshall.

I would argue that out of those, the ones I would want are unlikely to leave their clubs to come to us (Heaton / Pickford) and the others are not upgrades in my opinion.

Above that you've got Hennessey (Palace), even they don't rate him, Fabianski (Swansea) good 'keeper and likely to stay at the Swans, and Butland (Stoke) and Schmeichel (Leicester) who if they do leave are destined for the higher reaches of the league. So you're looking at either Premier League reserves, Championship (of which Stockdale was voted the best of the lot last season) or abroad (which is always a risk).

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm sure he'll sign... now that Chelsea have gone elsewhere.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Whatever happens with Stockdale one thing we can all rely on is that the club will have planned for him possibly moving on. So we can rest assured that a competent keeper will be in place come the start of the season. :)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I dont get the Westwood love in, he makes far more mistakes than Stockdale in my opinion.

If Stockdale does not sign, Ruddy is a shoe in.

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
I would rather take Ruddy than Westwood if it was a choice.

At least Ruddy has plenty of Prem Experience, knows CH and is a giant of a keeper, also available for free as such.

When I have seen Ruddy, he doesn't fill me with confidence as a keeper. Not saying Westwood is any better at all, think we need to be looking better than a free from Norwich, who couldn't hold down a first team place in an average team last season.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Where's Nicky Rust when you need him? That 1st season under Liam...what a keeper!! And only 18 or 19! Arsenals loss was our gain.

Anyway, back to Stockdale. Let's nick Westwood - arguably best keeper in Champ. Gets my vote.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I just really hope Stockers stays.

I may be in the minority of one here but think Pickford has a long way to go to be a capable prem keeper. I know he's young and has potential but he was utter gash on numerous occasions last season. We aren't in the position to sign an up-and-coming keeper, we need a ready made replacement, not a liability that will no-doubt be world class in five years.
As for Guzan, I'd sooner we re-signed Ryan Harley and stuck him between the sticks.
Ruddy is a decent enough championship keeper to me, but think Norwich may well will be looking to upgrade for a promotion push next season.
Vorm and Adler seem decent shouts.
David, please please stay with us for the season you've earned, you know it makes sense. :albion2:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
When I have seen Ruddy, he doesn't fill me with confidence as a keeper. Not saying Westwood is any better at all, think we need to be looking better than a free from Norwich, who couldn't hold down a first team place in an average team last season.[/QUOTE

Ruddy was axed by the idiot Neil for Mcgovern.....as soon as Neil went Ruddy was brought back in, and form improved.

besides who wouldnt want a man called John Thomas between the sticks... :)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Where's Nicky Rust when you need him? That 1st season under Liam...what a keeper!! And only 18 or 19! Arsenals loss was our gain.

Anyway, back to Stockdale. Let's nick Westwood - arguably best keeper in Champ. Gets my vote.

Westwood is likely to cost upwards of 7 million. I don't see us paying that for a stop-gap until Walton is ready.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Nicky Rust, what a keeper? I hope that was said tongue in cheek! If it's a cheap replacement for Stocko that we are looking for, look no further than the FDM. He sits in the stand and watches most home games anyway. You never know, he may even pay the club to wear the jersey again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here