Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A few idiots at the ground and online were enough to help Ashley Barnes decide his future lied elsewhere after his Brighton contract was do to expire and the club knew it and decided to sell early to get some cash back. (not the PL i know)

If you get abuse, and Stockdale is someone who wears his heart on his sleeve, he is more likely to be affected by it that others may be. They are still human after all.

The stuff surrounding the young kid (possibly family member) and his Leeds shirt was possibly the final straw and meant he went elsewhere(can't find the original pic any more so it seems like it's been deleted)

Incorrect about Ashley Barnes. He was on shockingly low money when the squad had several players on big bucks. Burnley gave him much better wages and a long contract.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
For me this is as strange as Ronald Koeman quitting Southampton for Everton last season. It made no sense to me at all, but the man felt he had something to prove. Maybe Stockdale feels he has something to prove that it wasn't just because of Dunk and Duffy he kept 20 clean sheets. Or maybe the money is right for him and his family. Who knows but on the face of it it's a bizarre decision.

Thanks to Stockdale for the last two years, he's been fantastic on and off the pitch and will be remembered as a fantastic goalkeeper for us.

I think Ronald Koeman knew exactly what he was doing. Everton are a historically big club with a huge fan base and some real money behind them, not to mention a fantastic youth system. The word is that Southampton's academy is going through a thin patch at the moment and the planned takeover was going slowly.

Stocko, on the other hand ...

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Reading between the lines and snippets ... I'd say, wouldn't be our 1st choice and length of contract offered.

Well yes, but errr Birmingham City? :eek::wozza:

(try it as in the Peter Kay Garlic Bread sketch)

Birmingham?
Birmingham City?
Am I hearing you right?

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Ryan plays for Australia and no doubt used to play in Australia too before moving to Europe

Tony B spends a month or so in Australia every winter - ha may have spotted this guy himself years ago

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Well this is...weird. Not the best advert for the club, losing an established player to Birmingham. Yes ok I know we expected him to go and have options, but not to Birmingham FFS!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm sure, in 167 pages, and more recently, since the official news, all of what I say has been said, this is a very bizarre move for Stockers. Does it show no ambition? Doesn't believe he is good enough? Or the very large lump of money he'll be getting from 'Arry's dog? Or all three?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Odd decision.

2 years fighting for promotion to the PL, and finally make it, and then...

*Nah, I'll stay in the Championship*

Best of luck to him to him, of course.

But it's not as simple as that is it. Many factors to consider aside from what division he'll be playing in. He's already played in the Premier League anyway don't forget. I'm not overly excited by PL football compared to the Championship myself to be honest.

I'd rather he stayed, but good luck to him, as you say. I wish him well for the future and thank him for some great times with us.

el punal

I'm trying to get my head round this decision. I can only assume that Stockdale is going to be paid a shit load of wonga for the next three years to compensate for NOT playing in the Premier League where he might have earned the plaudits and glory with us.

I can almost understand him moving to Leeds, hometown(?) club and all that, for nostalgia reasons. I can understand him maybe going to Chelsea as a back up goalie, with the potential of a few league or European games under his belt. But . . . Birmingham? Very, very strange decision.

Anyway, all the best David, good luck and thanks for everything you've done for us. You will always be fondly remembered.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Well this is...weird. Not the best advert for the club, losing an established player to Birmingham. Yes ok I know we expected him to go and have options, but not to Birmingham FFS!

The fact Dale Stephens is still here probably tells you all you need to know. If we think you're good enough - we'll pay you accordingly on a long contract to keep you here. If we're not so sure we won't. Stockdale is worth about half as much to this squad as Stephens is. Particularly with an heir apparent in the next year or so on the books.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Ryan plays for Australia and no doubt used to play in Australia too before moving to Europe

Tony B spends a month or so in Australia every winter - ha may have spotted this guy himself years ago

Talking to the Bloom brothers on train journeys occasionally, one thing you can say about them is they know their keepers. Slightly obsessional about them even.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
This with bells on. We now have top footballers who are millionaires by the time they even get first-team action and it undoubtedly affects some who lose their hunger. There doesn't seem to be much kudos in representing your country either and here we have a 31 year old keeper given the chance to play at the very pinnacle of English football and surely that was his dream when he was a boy but instead for whatever reason he's decided not to make that dream come true even for just one season.

Best of luck to him and I do mean that but it makes me ever more cynical about how rotten the game is now.

Exactly .

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I wasn't expecting big teams to be queuing up for him. Birmingham was not expected - I was thinking possibly Notts Forrest or Derby

Notts Forrest. Where to start? The 'Notts' or the 'Forrest'. ???

(Morning After Disclaimer - this post was fuelled by several bottles of Elvis Juice)

Bucephalus

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Brighton offered him a year but Brum have offered him three. No idea how wages compare but suspect length of contract a key factor as well as possibly knowing that he'd be #2 for us this season. Life moves on and I wish him well in his new venture but he'll be fondly remembered for his time with us for sure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here