Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I mean 6 yard box, the area where in my opinion keepers should take charge of balls in the air.

I struggle to understand that, as no team would intentially put a ball inside the 6 yard box, its just far to easy to defend. I cant say I have ever seen Stockdale fail to clear his lines from 6 yards, I could agree he certainly does have a weakness making the right call coming for the ball a little further out, but so to did Koosh, but Stockdale is certainly not weak in his 6 yard box.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Birmingham are being linked with John Terry today.

Maybe they are doing a Championship "really going for it" this season...

I assume Brum are going for it Large this season with putting Harry in charge, He has never been one for doing it on the cheap. Brum will be paying big wages for sure.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I assume Brum are going for it Large this season with putting Harry in charge, He has never been one for doing it on the cheap. Brum will be paying big wages for sure.

They will be relying on the 33M over 3 year loss rule in FFP, but they will need to get up before year 3!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Player in the Premier League doesn't pay the bills for the next 35 years does it? I agree it is odd that is Birmingham, but circumstances are not given what we 'know'

Are you suggesting that he is incapable of finding any other gainful employment in the next 30-35 years? Sensible footballers make plans for the future whilst still playing. e.g Chris O'Grady, who already has another business up and running. Granted, DS is on a lot more money than COG but the principle is still the same.
People are brainwashed into thinking that most footballers working lives end somewhere between 30-35 and immediately spring to their defence re earnings...." Its a short career " etc. Well a lot of careers outside football are relatively short as well but it doesn't stop people re-inventing themselves.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Are you suggesting that he is incapable of finding any other gainful employment in the next 30-35 years? Sensible footballers make plans for the future whilst still playing. e.g Chris O'Grady, who already has another business up and running. Granted, DS is on a lot more money than COG but the principle is still the same.
People are brainwashed into thinking that most footballers working lives end somewhere between 30-35 and immediately spring to their defence re earnings...." Its a short career " etc. Well a lot of careers outside football are relatively short as well but it doesn't stop people re-inventing themselves.

They have excellent pensions that kick in at 35 years old I believe.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Indeed.

Brainless not to, really (apart from the TOP earners, who actually could very comfortably do NOTHING for the rest of their lives).

Adam Chicksen, as an example, set up a property development company with his brother by the time he was 20, ploughing most of his football wages into it. Level-headed young man.

Similarly Dale Stephens dabbles in property development with his Dad, as evidenced in Homes under the Hammer!

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Birmingham are being linked with John Terry today.

Maybe they are doing a Championship "really going for it" this season...

This is a Harry Redknapp managed team we are talking about, he will lob as much money as possible at the cause.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They will be relying on the 33M over 3 year loss rule in FFP, but they will need to get up before year 3!

I can imagine the discussions that 'Arry has had with the clueless Chinese owners.

'A; So what kind of budgit are we talkin?
CCO: Thirty three million pounds is the limit for losses. So with income we can spend fifty three million total.
'A; Fifty free million? Triffic. Get me Pini Zahavi on the blower.
CCO; that's for three years remember, Harry.
'A; Sorry mate, I'm on the blower. Pini! Long time no speak mate. I've got fifty million quid to spend. What av you got for me?

Nah. Saw enough of him this season to know temperament isn't an issue. He was absolute quality for us, and probably the best distributer of the ball I can remember seeing from an Albion keeper.

He SHOULD be a Premier League goalkeeper Turns out its just all about the money though. What a horrible career move, to a club that is an utter mess on and off the field and has been for years. Enjoy your midtable (at best) season Stockers. Staring at bank statements will be fun for a while I suppose, if thats really all that matters.

Can all the "Stockers" fans then please give me a rational explanation of why the club were only willing to offer him one season if he was so amazing.

Seriously, I'm all ears - ???????

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Can all the "Stockers" fans then please give me a rational explanation of why the club were only willing to offer him one season if he was so amazing.

Do we actually know the offer that was put to him? I'm assuming not, or what was offered to him by Brum?

The club obviously rated him enough to offer him a contract full stop.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Difficult to understand this move at the level of information presented. It should be simple , premiership football with Brighton (or possibly another) or championship football which you have spent the last x years trying to leave to get to the promised land and worse still with a club that is going nowhere. Whilst I appreciate footballers have 'short careers etc' the money they make doing what they love is massive. I think he can kiss any England chance goodbye.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I can imagine the discussions that 'Arry has had with the clueless Chinese owners.

'A; So what kind of budgit are we talkin?
CCO: Thirty three million pounds is the limit for losses. So with income we can spend fifty three million total.
'A; Fifty free million? Triffic. Get me Pini Zahavi on the blower.
CCO; that's for three years remember, Harry.
'A; Sorry mate, I'm on the blower. Pini! Long time no speak mate. I've got fifty million quid to spend. What av you got for me?

You forgot:
"My squad is down to the bare bones at the moment"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

They must have someone more amazinger lined up. Like when they lined up CMS to replace Murray.

Do we actually know the offer that was put to him? I'm assuming not, or what was offered to him by Brum?

The club obviously rated him enough to offer him a contract full stop.

This is the widely reported reason for the contract problems, is it not? Have we suddenly heard something different?

I guess this is going to be the same hard work as talking about one of his goalkeeping errors on here

They must have someone more amazinger lined up. Like when they lined up CMS to replace Murray.

Yep that the club thought they could do better sounds a plausible reason. Going back a few years to that mistake is a bit of a red herring really given the transfer work we've done improving the squad recently like Duffy over Goldson etc

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
My feeling is that Stockdale was told he was going to be number 2 goalie, so he walked. Nothing else makes sense.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Difficult to understand this move at the level of information presented. It should be simple , premiership football with Brighton (or possibly another) or championship football which you have spent the last x years trying to leave to get to the promised land and worse still with a club that is going nowhere. Whilst I appreciate footballers have 'short careers etc' the money they make doing what they love is massive. I think he can kiss any England chance goodbye.

I think also in calculations there must be some decent bonuses for him getting promoted which he obviously cannot get at Brighton for at least 1 season which people will be missing. Also someone mentioned about why not have 2 years a Brighton then 1 last year earning £6k for example - I put that down to injuries which are a higher risk the older you are, if you have a 3 year contract your insurance will pay out more surely than if you only have 2 and then cannot play again to earn more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here