Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
But looking at his stats he was the best in the championship ! Clean sheets, penalty saves etc.

Would Burnley have let Heaton go when they got promoted season before last ? Ok he wasn't out of contract, but I'm sure a host of prem league teams would have fought over him ?

Why didn't they over Stockdale ? Why didn't we give him what he wanted ?

Something doesn't add up to me

I would imagine the club and CH think they can get a better keeper for the money that DS wanted and didn't want to give him more than a 2 yr contract. Personally, as much as I like him, I think he is replaceable with a more agile keeper.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But looking at his stats he was the best in the championship ! Clean sheets, penalty saves etc.

Would Burnley have let Heaton go when they got promoted season before last ? Ok he wasn't out of contract, but I'm sure a host of prem league teams would have fought over him ?

Why didn't they over Stockdale ? Why didn't we give him what he wanted ?

Something doesn't add up to me

He was part of the best defence in the championship, rather than the best keeper perhaps ? Which prem team would replace their keeper with him ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
He was part of the best defence in the championship, rather than the best keeper perhaps ? Which prem team would replace their keeper with him ?

Ok, he was an integral part of the best defence in the championship, I'm sure If Dunk and Duffy were out of contract, premier league teams would be all over them !! Stockdale is easily top five English goalkeeper. Why didn't we pull stops out to sign him and why hasn't a team better than Birmingham done the same ? Something isn't right, maybe an injury ?

SlamDunk

Jan 7, 2016
Stockdale is easily top five English goalkeeper.

Stockdale is absolutely nowhere near the level of Hart, Butland, Heaton, Foster, Forster or Pickford. FAR too many soft goals conceded (headers vs Villa Home and Newcastle Away really stand out), perhaps his weight makes him more cumbersome.

I hate to say it but he was flattered by his defence this year and still made a number of howlers. I can count the number of truly exceptional saves on one hand, while most of the others you'd really expect a goalkeeper to make.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
IF we sign Ryan on a 4 year contract, AND we don't want to block Walton's progression, then it makes total sense why we wouldn't offer Stockdale a 3 year deal.

So if 3 years was that important to him, we get to where we are now.

Surely Ryan sings today.

Last edited:

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Ok, he was an integral part of the best defence in the championship, I'm sure If Dunk and Duffy were out of contract, premier league teams would be all over them !! Stockdale is easily top five English goalkeeper. Why didn't we pull stops out to sign him and why hasn't a team better than Birmingham done the same ? Something isn't right, maybe an injury ?

Maybe he is not as good as you think he his , or other premier teams would of wanted his signature , rather than mid table championship teams

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Maybe he is not as good as you think he his , or other premier teams would of wanted his signature , rather than mid table championship teams
This.... I am firm believer that people in life and work are more productive if they operate within their comfort zone.... I believe he realised he would be well out of his.... a 'stretch goal' too far.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Harry Bull S**t rides again . He'll spend more than he earns , the team with flatter to deceive and he'll leave them in financial ruin . Collateral we lose the best keeper we ve had in many a year . Shame .

Does anyone know how much we offered and how much he agreed to with Brum ? £60- £70k a week ? - so thats £10 million to Stockdale roughly over 3 years . Nice little earner and its all down to him playing in this great team at Brighton . So its thanks to us Mr Stockdale - and why wasn't he on a contract - School boy error......

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mad to think, despite the Premier League and all its riches, there are clubs in division below us that could outspend us easily

Not the case though, at all.

There are no clubs in the Championship that we couldn't outspend IF WE CHOSE TO.

They can offer wages above what we are prepared to pay, yes. That's not the same thing.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It may well be that he is getting less at Birmingham than we offered, wages wise. It may well be that he would have been on the bench for us and wants to play. All fair enough until you come to the Birmingham part of the equation. Especially as his beloved Leeds seem to have been an option. No-one goes to a team that just stays up and is managed by Flash 'Arry for footballing reasons when there is a choice of other teams in the same division. Perhaps his dogs will get a windfall.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Interesting article in The Argus:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/153...dale_s_exit_was_no_surprise_to_Albion_bosses/

Paul Barber explains why David Stockdale's exit was no shock to Brighton and Hove Albion

Albion knew David Stockdale was on his way when they presented their best offer – and were told it would not be accepted.

Paul Barber has given some insight into communication between the club and Stockdale’s agent Rob Segal which ensured the parting was a civilised one.

The Seagulls’ chief executive said he knew “for some weeks” that a parting of the ways was inevitable.

Stockdale has since joined Birmingham City on a three-year deal as a free agent.

That leaves the Seagulls looking to sign at least two senior goalkeepers with both Niki Maenpaa and Maty Ryan expected to put pen to paper.

Barber said he was pleased with the level of dialogue between the club and agent.

And he has highlighted the pro-active efforts Stockdale made to help try and comfort relatives of those who died in the Shoreham aircrash.

Barber said of Stockdale’s departure: “It was not a surprise in terms of not reaching an agreement with David. We have known for some weeks that was not going to happen.

“You get to a point where a contract is offered and, if it’s your best offer and it’s not accepted, the writing is on the wall.

“We have got a great relationship with David’s agent. I have known Rob for many years and we have a very open relationship.

“We can talk to each other and he can say, ‘If that’s your best offer, we are going to need to look elsewhere’. No problem, we understand that.

“The whole process was conducted without any acrimony, without any problems, without any issues. We all knew where we were at any particular time.”

Stockdale’s choice of destination, as he became Harry Redknapp’s first signing for Birmingham, surprised many people.

Barber said: “Players’ choices of football clubs are very much personal decisions. I was in contact with David on Tuesday night and wished him all the best.

“I worked with Harry so I asked David to pass on my best wishes to him.

“David was fabulous for us over a long period and very popular, not just with the fans but also within the club.”

Stockdale’s efforts after the Shoreham disaster are well-documented.

But Barber highlighted how the keeper made the first move to see how he could help.

He said: “For me personally, during the Shoreham disaster, David was one of the first players to come and ask if he could help, if there was anything he could do, if he could visit the families.

“As soon as he knew Matt Grimstone was a goalkeeper, he felt an immediate connection.

“I will always admire David and Alan Mullery for stepping forward and visiting the families when it was a very tough time.

“I went and I found it probably the toughest experience of my life. I am 20 years older than David and I found it very difficult.

“For a young man to step up and do that, I will always admire him for that and respect him for that.”

Birmingham are not short of glovemen. Ex-Albion favourite Tomasz Kuszczak has just signed a new deal, as has Adam Legzdins, while Connal Trueman is highly rated in the under-23s.

Albion plan to have similar numbers in their goalkeeper department.

Ryan is away with his national team, which has not helped in finalising personal terms, but Maenpaa's agent has told sources in Holland his client will be back at the Amex.

Barber said: “With Niki, work is continuing. These processes are always interrupted by holidays and people having a bit of a break.

“In an ideal world you would have a very rapid decision-making process. But the ideal world doesn’t exist.

“It was great to get Steve Sidwell done but work is ongoing.

“We very much want Niki to stay at the club and we are looking forward to him being here next season.”

Did Maenpaa’s presence push Stockdale to his form of the past two seasons?

It is a popular theory which may well hold water.

What we do know is that Chris Hughton and chairman Tony Bloom both expressed their thanks to the big Yorkshireman as he left – and that does not always happen.
Barber said: “David will always be welcome here and always be part of this football club.

“He will always be part of the folklore that got promotion to the Premier League.

“We really hope he does well at Birmingham City. It is a very good football club.”

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Interesting article in The Argus:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/153...dale_s_exit_was_no_surprise_to_Albion_bosses/

Paul Barber explains why David Stockdale's exit was no shock to Brighton and Hove Albion

Albion knew David Stockdale was on his way when they presented their best offer – and were told it would not be accepted.

Paul Barber has given some insight into communication between the club and Stockdale’s agent Rob Segal which ensured the parting was a civilised one.

The Seagulls’ chief executive said he knew “for some weeks” that a parting of the ways was inevitable.

Stockdale has since joined Birmingham City on a three-year deal as a free agent.

That leaves the Seagulls looking to sign at least two senior goalkeepers with both Niki Maenpaa and Maty Ryan expected to put pen to paper.

Barber said he was pleased with the level of dialogue between the club and agent.

And he has highlighted the pro-active efforts Stockdale made to help try and comfort relatives of those who died in the Shoreham aircrash.

Barber said of Stockdale’s departure: “It was not a surprise in terms of not reaching an agreement with David. We have known for some weeks that was not going to happen.

“You get to a point where a contract is offered and, if it’s your best offer and it’s not accepted, the writing is on the wall.

“We have got a great relationship with David’s agent. I have known Rob for many years and we have a very open relationship.

“We can talk to each other and he can say, ‘If that’s your best offer, we are going to need to look elsewhere’. No problem, we understand that.

“The whole process was conducted without any acrimony, without any problems, without any issues. We all knew where we were at any particular time.”

Stockdale’s choice of destination, as he became Harry Redknapp’s first signing for Birmingham, surprised many people.

Barber said: “Players’ choices of football clubs are very much personal decisions. I was in contact with David on Tuesday night and wished him all the best.

“I worked with Harry so I asked David to pass on my best wishes to him.

“David was fabulous for us over a long period and very popular, not just with the fans but also within the club.”

Stockdale’s efforts after the Shoreham disaster are well-documented.

But Barber highlighted how the keeper made the first move to see how he could help.

He said: “For me personally, during the Shoreham disaster, David was one of the first players to come and ask if he could help, if there was anything he could do, if he could visit the families.

“As soon as he knew Matt Grimstone was a goalkeeper, he felt an immediate connection.

“I will always admire David and Alan Mullery for stepping forward and visiting the families when it was a very tough time.

“I went and I found it probably the toughest experience of my life. I am 20 years older than David and I found it very difficult.

“For a young man to step up and do that, I will always admire him for that and respect him for that.”

Birmingham are not short of glovemen. Ex-Albion favourite Tomasz Kuszczak has just signed a new deal, as has Adam Legzdins, while Connal Trueman is highly rated in the under-23s.

Albion plan to have similar numbers in their goalkeeper department.

Ryan is away with his national team, which has not helped in finalising personal terms, but Maenpaa's agent has told sources in Holland his client will be back at the Amex.

Barber said: “With Niki, work is continuing. These processes are always interrupted by holidays and people having a bit of a break.

“In an ideal world you would have a very rapid decision-making process. But the ideal world doesn’t exist.

“It was great to get Steve Sidwell done but work is ongoing.

“We very much want Niki to stay at the club and we are looking forward to him being here next season.”

Did Maenpaa’s presence push Stockdale to his form of the past two seasons?

It is a popular theory which may well hold water.

What we do know is that Chris Hughton and chairman Tony Bloom both expressed their thanks to the big Yorkshireman as he left – and that does not always happen.
Barber said: “David will always be welcome here and always be part of this football club.

“He will always be part of the folklore that got promotion to the Premier League.

“We really hope he does well at Birmingham City. It is a very good football club.”

Nice, and genuine, words of praise from Barber.

Best of luck to Stocko.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I still don't get it, but I wish him luck, he will always he remembered as one of our all time best keepers. The double save against Massive will stay long in the memory

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here