Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Strange move

Obviously it must be mega bucks but I think he must believe he wasn't going to be first choice next season.

Oh well, Thanks for the memories and good luck swapping CH for Arry

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Temperament issues. A good feature in a goalie who should be the most icicle-veined player on the pitch?

Nah. Saw enough of him this season to know temperament isn't an issue. He was absolute quality for us, and probably the best distributer of the ball I can remember seeing from an Albion keeper.

He SHOULD be a Premier League goalkeeper Turns out its just all about the money though. What a horrible career move, to a club that is an utter mess on and off the field and has been for years. Enjoy your midtable (at best) season Stockers. Staring at bank statements will be fun for a while I suppose, if thats really all that matters.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Sad indictment of modern footballers for me. I get the "looking after the family" argument but presumably he has been on north of £500k per year and would have been offered well over £1m a year to stay. What I don't buy is the "anyone would do the same" argument. I could be earning more but at a cost of more travel time and probably less interesting. This is someone choosing a lower standard of football for more money when money isn't anywhere near as much of a factor as it is for me. Can't imagine he is getting massively more than we offered so it falls into the "money over football reasons" for me. Obviously his choice but he won't get many more chances to play at the top level which you would think has to be the goal of all modern footballers.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Ffs this has ruined my day! I suppose no player is bigger than the club, hopefully we sign this highly rated Aussie keeper in the next few days.

And if we miss out on him too we could be struggling to find 3 keepers good enough for our squad next season with time running out. Hopefully Maenpaa will sign asap.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Reading a few bits randomly over several weeks and some of the stuff being said was disgraceful and you can see how it might help provide enough influence someone towards go rather than stay

I wish him well but i'm disappointed that he isn't staying and playing for us next season in the PL as i hoped he would

I think it's a bit absurd to suggest that any player's career would in any way ever be influenced by some online verbal abuse by an insignificant proportion of a club's overall fanbase. All clubs have their moronic online following, we're not unique in that regard, and I'm sure all players know that.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Reading a few bits randomly over several weeks and some of the stuff being said was disgraceful and you can see how it might help provide enough influence someone towards go rather than stay

I wish him well but i'm disappointed that he isn't staying and playing for us next season in the PL as i hoped he would

Even if a few nobs on Twatter were enough to make a professional footballer walk away from a Premier League club, Birmingham is a bizarre choice of destination.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Sad indictment of modern footballers for me. I get the "looking after the family" argument but presumably he has been on north of £500k per year and would have been offered well over £1m a year to stay. What I don't buy is the "anyone would do the same" argument. I could be earning more but at a cost of more travel time and probably less interesting. This is someone choosing a lower standard of football for more money when money isn't anywhere near as much of a factor as it is for me. Can't imagine he is getting massively more than we offered so it falls into the "money over football reasons" for me. Obviously his choice but he won't get many more chances to play at the top level which you would think has to be the goal of all modern footballers.

Just been having the same chat with a mate. When you choose money at a team that just stayed up in the second tier as opposed to pushing yourself at the highest level you can and aiming for a call up for your country it is a very, very sad money-driven sport. I would have totally got it if he signed for Leeds even, his boyhood club but to drop down a league, to play in from of 17K fans to a team in a shit city that just stayed up on the last day because they are paying a few more dollars really is a sad indictment of the mentality of a modern day footballer indeed.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well good luck to him, he did a fantastic job for us.
As previously mentioned, no player is bigger than club and would outwit TB.
His loss, as he'll never complete the story and his part he could've played with the Albion in the PL.

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
Make no doubt about it, if we had wanted to keep Stockdale we would have.

Given we are prepared to splash out 5m on Ryan plus his contract there was money for his wages had we wanted them.

Excuse pun, but his stock has been overrated by many on here.

The numbers at Birmingham won't be that big.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What a weird move...

It's a move someone makes when they have fallen out with the manager and are desperate to get away.

Chelsea
West Ham
Palace
Leeds

Brum

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Make no doubt about it, if we had wanted to keep Stockdale we would have.

Given we are prepared to splash out 5m on Ryan plus his contract there was money for his wages had we wanted them.

Excuse pun, but his stock has been overrated by many on here.

The numbers at Birmingham won't be that big.
I would imagine it is more about a 7 figure signing on fee than wages. I guess we baulked at paying such a large amount for a player we already had. Out of contract = big signing on fee.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm surprised at his choice of destination. I'm also surprised that he won't be with us next season. I'm sure that there are irons in the fire and that we have a (better?) quality replacement en route.

Stockdale was crucial to the togetherness that we've built and that was so important to us last year. With that in mind I simply wish him the best for the future and hope that whoever we bring in can fill his shoes.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
If you are reading this Stockers, I wish you all the very best for the future. You have been immense for us and you obviously have your reasons for moving on.

Goodbye and Good Luck:bigwave:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Even if a few nobs on Twatter were enough to make a professional footballer walk away from a Premier League club, Birmingham is a bizarre choice of destination.

A few idiots at the ground and online were enough to help Ashley Barnes decide his future lied elsewhere after his Brighton contract was do to expire and the club knew it and decided to sell early to get some cash back. (not the PL i know)

If you get abuse, and Stockdale is someone who wears his heart on his sleeve, he is more likely to be affected by it that others may be. They are still human after all.

The stuff surrounding the young kid (possibly family member) and his Leeds shirt was possibly the final straw and meant he went elsewhere(can't find the original pic any more so it seems like it's been deleted)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here