Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Well, if he is gone - he is gone. I have no further interest in him.
I guess he would rather run out at places like Millwall or Burton Albion than Wembley or The Emirates. ..Does he not have the stomach for the Premiership?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Perish the thought!

Just the fact that he may not be considered as cerebral a manager as CH....

I will say he's as tight as two coats of paint that fella. I tried to have a business deal with him (nothing to do with football) a couple of years back and it was his way or no way. His way was frankly unworkable. We didn't do the deal.

He likes to guard his own money like a pit bull with a bone, yet doesn't appear to give a flying feck if it's someone else's, especially some noddy with a cheque book and his own directors box... ???

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
This is a really strange move , he is an excellent keeper and easily premier league quality . Fair enough if it was Leeds who he supports but Birmingham?

He would have had an outside chance of getting England caps if he performed well in the Prem and surely would have been on more money . There's got to be something else going on surely

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Well, if he is gone - he is gone. I have no further interest in him.
I guess he would rather run out at places like Millwall or Burton Albion than Wembley or The Emirates. ..Does he not have the stomach for the Premiership?

To be fair he played most of his Premier league games in the Fulham team that were relegated to the Championship. That may have left him scarred.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well....good riddance to Stockdale. Don't care who the player is, I take a dim view of any player who tries to blackmail the club into giving them more money. I'm sure the deal we offered would not have been a bad one.

I had assumed that Stockdale's departure meant that we had Maenpaa and Skippy signed up and ready to go. Somewhat concerned that we have still not persuaded them to sign.

Where did he blackmail the club for more money? Strange accusation.
He wanted a longer contract than we offered. He was driving for two hours to get to Lancing & can be in Brum within 2 hours of where he lives now. His kids don't have to change schools & he has a job for the next three years.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Clearly a bottle job, had offers from Premier League teams (including ourself) and doesn't have the stomach for a tough season. Something has really annoyed me about this, it's a truly bizzare move.. why on Earth would he sign for Birmingham? The only reason can be big wages and a massive sign on fee as with Koosh there he's not even guaranteed bonified number one GK.

Very very strange.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Clearly a bottle job, had offers from Premier League teams (including ourself) and doesn't have the stomach for a tough season. Something has really annoyed me about this, it's a truly bizzare move.. why on Earth would he sign for Birmingham? The only reason can be big wages and a massive sign on fee as with Koosh there he's not even guaranteed bonified number one GK.

Very very strange.

Or as mentioned, a longer contract. It isn't that difficult to comprehend is it. He wanted long term certainty to see out the end of his career, last big contract. We have invested a lot in Walton and obviously expect him to be ready in 12-24 months time. Stockdale wanted a 3 year deal and that is what he has got. If we were only prepared to offer 1-2 years, even if we offered MORE money, the extra year at Birmingham could be worth more than him.

Brighton - 2 years @ 30k a week - £3,120,000
Birmingham - 3 years @ 22k a week - £3,432,000

Simples.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Or as mentioned, a longer contract. It isn't that difficult to comprehend is it. He wanted long term certainty to see out the end of his career, last big contract. We have invested a lot in Walton and obviously expect him to be ready in 12-24 months time. Stockdale wanted a 3 year deal and that is what he has got. If we were only prepared to offer 1-2 years, even if we offered MORE money, the extra year at Birmingham could be worth more than him.

Simples.

And miss out on the Premier League.... If the number were that close he would have signed for us.
For him to turn down the Premier League even for one season to possibly/probably see out his career in the Championship you know he's getting paid way way more.

ack

Apr 20, 2006
If guy wants money and contract, rather than being in a battle week in and out. Good luck and thanks. Now move on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And miss out on the Premier League.... If the number were that close he would have signed for us.
For him to turn down the Premier League even for one season to possibly/probably see out his career in the Championship you know he's getting paid way way more.

Player in the Premier League doesn't pay the bills for the next 35 years does it? I agree it is odd that is Birmingham, but circumstances are not given what we 'know'

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I don't believe you've seen TK much in the last 3 seasons!

He is an utter SHAMBLES under any high balls.

Of course I have not seen him much over the last three years only on TV games. I am judging him on performances with the Albion'
But one thing to remember is that Stockdale had one of the best defences in the league in front of him, but PIG with Birmingham had one of the worst.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Simples.

How is that simples? Top division football for a team you've given years too to achieve a massive target and being one of our most passionate players, then leave to go to a lower division team for an extra year contract? I'm sorry but it's completely bizzare, regardless of contract length it stinks of not having the bottle for the premier league. He's hardly towards the end of his career is he for a goalkeeper.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia

Simples.

Still makes no sense since after playing (or even being on the bench) 2 years in the Premier League he would get more than 6k (312 000 / 52) a week any day anywhere for the 3rd year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here