Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It's not about money, it's about security for his family with a longer term contract remember.

I've never understood that argument- that means it clearly is about money, surely?

Not that I have a problem with it, it's a short career and it's his prerogative as a professional. Still think it's incredibly unambitious, and that he won't look back and tell his Grandkids about the time he singed that big contract at Birmingham, rather than play in the Premier League.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not that I have a problem with it, it's a short career and it's his prerogative as a professional. Still think it's incredibly unambitious, and that he won't look back and tell his Grandkids about the time he singed that big contract at Birmingham, rather than play in the Premier League.

And sadly the question that will come back will be "Did you not think you'd be good enough to play in the Premier League then?"

As you say, "security" is money, it's the same answer, but the full answer is that "the gaffer has told me I won't even have to pay tax. Just leave it to him and his dog." he can hardly announce that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Still think it's incredibly unambitious, and that he won't look back and tell his Grandkids about the time he singed that big contract at Birmingham, rather than play in the Premier League.

Or, maybe, he was aware the club would be bringing in another 'keeper who would either be number 1 or, at the very least, would give him the stiffest competition he'd had at the Albion such that, barring an injury, he may not get to play in the Premier League after all.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Or, maybe, he was aware the club would be bringing in another 'keeper who would either be number 1 or, at the very least, would give him the stiffest competition he'd had at the Albion such that, barring an injury, he may not get to play in the Premier League after all.

Maybe. Probably, even.

It's still a bit of a crap story to tell his grandchildren: "I was one of the best players at a club in the Championship, got them promoted to the Premier League and then found out the the competition was going to be a bit tough so I thought I'd sign for a crap club back in the Championship again." Just strikes me as being a bit of a pussy, and not being brave enough to back himself. It's like turning down a big job offer that is a bit out of your league for something easier, rather than thinking 'No, I can do this, I'll find a way to make it work'.

We don't need characters like that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Does beg the question of why the club wanted a possibly new No 1 were their things about him that we are unaware of in relation to his ability as a keeper.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Then surely there are better clubs to go to in the Championship than a team who just stayed up and are run by Flash 'Arry? Like his home town club?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's not about money, it's about security for his family with a longer term contract remember.

I've never understood that argument- that means it clearly is about money, surely?

I don't really buy this "short career" malarkey. As a goalkeeper he can expect to have a professional career in the region of 18 years. And having spent his career in the top 2 divisions, he's earning in a WEEK what many people earn in a year. Now that won't be the case over the course of the whole of that 18 years obviously, but while he's in his prime, as long as he's not living like Floyd Mayweather then he should be pretty well set.

Moving to Birmingham for an extra year or two on his contract was a nonsense. Its not like he'd be on the scrapheap at the end of whatever deal was on the table from us. Looked like a very short-sighted and unambitious move, but that's his choice I suppose.

Pinning ihis move on the "pashun" of the Birmingham fans is frankly laughable and insulting.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't really buy this "short career" malarkey. As a goalkeeper he can expect to have a professional career in the region of 18 years. And having spent his career in the top 2 divisions, he's earning in a WEEK what many people earn in a year. Now that won't be the case over the course of the whole of that 18 years obviously, but while he's in his prime, as long as he's not living like Floyd Mayweather then he should be pretty well set.

Moving to Birmingham for an extra year or two on his contract was a nonsense. Its not like he'd be on the scrapheap at the end of whatever deal was on the table from us. Looked like a very short-sighted and unambitious move, but that's his choice I suppose.

Pinning ihis move on the "pashun" of the Birmingham fans is frankly laughable and insulting.

It is a short career though. He'll probably earn top dollar for what, 20% of it? You can't expect a footballer to live the lifestyle of the average man on the street and save everything else for the remaining 50 years of his life, nobody is going to do that. Your lifestyle usually reflects the people around you, more or less, so he's always going to have a nice car and a nice house etc., and the money he'd make during 80% of his career isn't going to cover that for the rest of his life. I totally understand why you'd want to take a big payday at his sort of level.

What I can't understand, is the real top level players moving from a great league to a shit league for an extra £100K a week, when they're already earning £200K a week already. Seriously, what difference does it make?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

I haven't followed too much of all this, but I'm assuming TB refused to match Birmingham's wage offer? If so, I can understand if he felt that he simply wasn't wanted - so then why would he want to stay (Premier League/ambition notwithstanding)?

For the record, I wanted him to stay, and am disappointed he didn't.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I don't think he intended to leave at all - I think he was trying to get a Stephens-like contract offer. What he didn't take into account was the fact that CH very obviously rated him less highly than he - or indeed, let's be honest, lots of us - rated him. He went to Birmingham because he thought 'shit, I'm out of a job". Still, he's yesterday's news now - proved himself over the summer to be a bit of an idiot and we don't need to worry anymore about his belief that he is Manuel Neuer

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

He's got to spin it somehow, poor fella - there are too many 'negatives' (uprooting family, lack of professional ambition) outweighing the only positive that I can see, bags of cash, and no one gets fans on their side that way!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here