Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I understand we were already well into the process of bringing Ryan in and Stockdale knew he would start as second choice. Again fair play. Some can handle that and some can't. He's certainly had plenty of that earlier in his career.

You may just have battered the nail on the head

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do totally understand the thing about his daughter and schooling but I think it's to some extent a convenient hook to hang a hat on. I understand we were already well into the process of bringing Ryan in and Stockdale knew he would start as second choice. Again fair play. Some can handle that and some can't. He's certainly had plenty of that earlier in his career.
I also know he is on less per week at Blues (where he was promised first choice) than he was here for a shorter contract extension.
in a year's time he would have been (if all goes to plan) making way for Walton so looking for a new deal elsewhere anyway. His choice to take a longer deal somewhere now probably isn't so daft in that context.

Yes, I've seen it said that we had been after Ryan, for quite a while.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I heard that Dave's a bit of a salad-dodger as well, and had a few run-ins with the fitness coaches during his time here. Could also have been a factor.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
DS wanted a longer contract than the club were prepared to offer. That's the long and the short of it.

Him saying he put his family first quite obviously relates to the length of contract and salary offered by BFC

Slightly strange is that he's now living apart from his family in a hotel and due to his kids being settled down here he's reluctant to move home.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I thought it was any deliberate back pass?

When the law was first introduced, they gave an extreme example of a player kneeling down and using his head to pass back along the ground. They said that would not be allowed.

You cant be serious!? you are telling me we are in 2017 and you do not understand the back pass rule, you are allowed to head the ball back to your keeper. think danny cullips little flicks back to kuipers after a long ball and a million other times this would have happened since the rules came in.

The odd time it is not allowed is when it is seen as unsporting behaviour as in getting down on your knees and heading it back to a keeper, this recently happened in France. also it can still come off a players foot and the keeper can handle it, if it is seen as accidental in which this case would have been fine.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Totally perplexed by Stockdale's decision.

He certainly puts his family first. According to the interview, he wanted a longer contract because his daughter is taking exams. She's in Year 11 now, so I'm unclear as to how moving to Birmingham has helped her.

In addition, according to wikipedia Stockdale married his fiancée Kate on 3 June 2011, missing out on a place in the England squad for the Euro 2012 qualifier with Switzerland the following day.

He could easily have stayed here. Even if his contract was extended by just a year and he was on an average £30,000 a week, his family are not exactly going to starve, and I'd imagine in the course of his career he would have had ample opportunities to either a) continue playing as Number 1 for the Albion, or transfer to a club in the north, closer to his family.

I fear he had his chance, and he muffed it. It's very unlikely - not impossible - that he'll get that opportunity again.

Paul Barber also stated that he had a great relationship with Stockdale's agent, so clearly there was no skullduggery behind the scenes. David just wanted a 4 year contract and we didn't offer it. Clearly, he is a risk averse chap who likes certainty - I guess you might say they are the qualities of a great keeper.

I feel no bitterness towards him. He was a great servant to us. He pulled of great saves and earned us points. He was fantastic during the Shoreham air disaster, and by all accounts very popular. He'll still have a high status in my book and I'll cheer himont his return to the Amex whenever it happens.

Perhaps the schools in Birmingham are better than the ones in Brighton.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I thought it was any deliberate back pass?

When the law was first introduced, they gave an extreme example of a player kneeling down and using his head to pass back along the ground. They said that would not be allowed.

How many times for example did Danny Cullip do the flick back header to our keepers in the Withdean days? That never resulted in a free kick.

The law states the keeper commits an offence if he handles the ball after it is deliberately kicked to him by a team mate, or he handles the ball directly from a throw in.

What you mention of kneeling down to head a ball back is covered by the following -

While not an infringement of the back-pass rule, players are also prohibited from using a deliberate trick to pass the ball to the goalkeeper with a part of the body other than the foot to circumvent the rule. This would include, but not be limited to:

flicking the ball up with the foot and then heading the ball back to the goalkeeper, or

heading a ball on the ground that would otherwise be regularly playable with the foot.

If a player uses such a trick, they are cautioned for unsporting behaviour, and the opponents are awarded an indirect free kick from where the trick was performed. It is irrelevant as to whether the goalkeeper subsequently handles the ball or not.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a happy start for Stockers. Beaten 2-1 at Burton tonight.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do we need a bump of this every game? Let's all move on.

Some of us are interested in how he does this season after such a bizarre move, why start a new thread? You don't have to keep opening this one. :shrug:

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I did enjoy the Middle-Eastern commentator calling him Stock-dar-lee on the stream I just watched. :lolol:

Super goal from Marvin Sordell mind. Great turn and shot from outside the area.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Weird move as we all thought but I am sure he will have a good season for Brum. Mid table for them this season but at least we now know he went for his daughters exams and NOT for the money......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here