Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Theres a bunch of teams in the PL who are looking at new keepers, or shifting their back ups.
AFCB - Looking at Begovic to replace Boric
Burnley - stay as they are, or replace Heaton if he moves to a top 7 club (fancy Everton)
Chelsea - Begovic out, Stockdale in.
Palace - No change unless Henessey is shipped out.
Everton - at least 1 in. Steklenberg and Robules would be available.
Hull City - Marshall available for the right money
Leicester - Schmeichel off, Zeiler stays and they bring in competition
Liverpool - Mognoilet out, new keeper in.
Man City - Hart out, Callebraro out, new keeper in.
Man Utd - De Gea out? New keeper in.
Middlesborough - Guzman out (MLS), Valdes out?
Southampton - No movement, unless Southampton second XI (Aka Liverpool) swoop for Forster.
Stoke - Stay as is.
Sunderland - Pickford out, but i hope to a team who makes him #1.
Swansea - Don’t care, pretty average.
Spurs - No change, unless Vorm wants a move to play more.
Watford - could be on the lookout for a new #1 - Gomes is getting on in age.
West From - no change
West Ham - on the lookout for a new #1 - Stockdale in claret?

Out of this list, realistic (and some stretch) targets are
Boric, Begovic (if AFCB can, I think we could), Henessey, both Everton Keepers (most likely Robules) Marshall, Mignoilet, Valdes, Vorm.

Personally Id go with Robules if possible. a realistic target and young enough to be here for a while. And has plenty of PL experience.

If it could be anyone from that list, Id go with Begovic/Mignoilet, but both are just outside our reach right now. Both are fantastic keepers when continuously busy (ala Stoke and Sunderland), but average in good teams when bored. We need someone to make 4-6 match/point gaining saves a game - I don’t think stocky has that for the PL.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Is Jordan Pickford a realistic replacement?

I can't pretend that I have even begun to get my head around the sort of money we may be spending this summer, but I really can't imagine we'd be going near £10m for a keeper, and Sunderland are currently looking for £20m.

What is realistic in terms of transfer fees and salaries, when we've just opened the pot to a reported £170m? Honestly, my head spins at the thought.

Did I see Iker Casillas is out of contract?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Out of this list, realistic (and some stretch) targets are
Boric, Begovic (if AFCB can, I think we could), Henessey, both Everton Keepers (most likely Robules) Marshall, Mignoilet, Valdes, Vorm.

Boruc, Hennessey and Robles are available because they have proved not good enough for the Premier League. Throwing cash at any of those would be an absolute shambles.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lee Grant in from Stoke or throw double six and give Walton a go.

Again, a significant downgrade on Stockdale. Couldn't even make the Derby team in the Championship.

Walton is an interesting one - you're right it would be a huge gamble. Not one I'd expect a conservative manager like CH to take, but if we did, it COULD be a very financially lucrative one.

Play a 19 / 20 year old keeper at the top level, and IF they cope, they are immediately valued at £10m +

See Butland, Pickford, etc for details

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I've always like Keiren Westwood, although perhaps he's never quite progressed as I would have expected. Don't really watch Sheff Weds often enough to make a judgement, but whenever I've seen him he's impressed and I've been surprised he's never had more than a brief spell in the Prem with Sunderland.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gritt23;7 Did I see Iker Casillas is out of contract?[/QUOTE said:
Hope he stays that way as far as we are concerned.

He was a good keeper but not in his latter days at Real as he showed he had got old and slow.

I think the most likely due to previous connections would be John Ruddy.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I've always like Keiren Westwood, although perhaps he's never quite progressed as I would have expected. Don't really watch Sheff Weds often enough to make a judgement, but whenever I've seen him he's impressed and I've been surprised he's never had more than a brief spell in the Prem with Sunderland.

Great keeper but they will probably go up.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I would guess we've been scouting keepers for the number 1 jersey for a few months. They'll be a long list.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Pickford will have better options than us.

Hennessey and Robles are both worse than Stockdale in my opinion. If we lose Stockdale we will want to replace with a better option or at least someone on a par.

Would take Fabianski if he became available if Swansea were to be relegated. Adrian I understand is out of contract with WHU. Valdes I would also accept if the wages were reasonable.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Agreed, I am sure we have been aware Stockdale would not be sgning a new deal for a while.

What's the general consensus on why?

- We will not budge on terms
- He wants to go to Chelsea
- He wants fulfill boyhood dream of playing for his local club
- The club are being ruthless and don't rate him a) at all or b) enough to justify what he's demanding.
- More money, anywhere will do

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Some CURVE BALLS.

If Hull went down then Jankupovic has REALLY impressed this season. Big imposing goalkeeper.

Costal Pantillimon is behind Gomes at Watford

David Ospina is a more than capeable goalkeeper and behind Cech at Arsenal

Wojciech Szcesny will also return to Arsenal from his loan spell in Roma and wants to stay in the Prem and (I imagine) prefers a southern club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What's the general consensus on why?

- We will not budge on terms
- He wants to go to Chelsea
- He wants fulfill boyhood dream of playing for his local club
- The club are being ruthless and don't rate him a) at all or b) enough to justify what he's demanding.
- More money, anywhere will do

I know nothing, but if he's out of contract ;

-he holds all the cards and can sit back and review what offers come in
-will get a huge signing on fee wherever he goes (as no transfer fee being paid)

As regards Chelsea :
-they'll pay far more than we can/will want to
-lives in London (near Chelsea training ground I think ?)

If nothing suitable took his fancy, we'd probably keep him

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some CURVE BALLS.

If Hull went down then Jankupovic has REALLY impressed this season. Big imposing goalkeeper.

Costal Pantillimon is behind Gomes at Watford

David Ospina is a more than capeable goalkeeper and behind Cech at Arsenal

Wojciech Szcesny will also return to Arsenal from his loan spell in Roma and wants to stay in the Prem and (I imagine) prefers a southern club.

Yes / No (rubbish) / No (wages) / Maybe

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I obviously hope Stockers stays. He’s been a key part of this #together squad and one of the reasons we’ll be playing Chelsea next season. However if he wants to go, be it for the opportunity, the location or purely for the money then good luck to him and I wish him well.

Of the many names mentioned already my thoughts would be;
Robles – please no he’s rubbish
Pickford - young and English, he’ll be way too expensive after the season he’s had
Pantilimon – see Robles
Valdes – Wouldn’t say no, has had a good season for Boro
Fabianski – If Swansea go down he’d be a good option
Hennessey – No thanks
Jankupovic – See Valdes but Hull
Vorm – Great if possible…but probably pricey on wages

For what it’s worth I expect us to start next season with Ruddy and Maenpaa competing for the No.1 jersey.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I obviously hope Stockers stays. He’s been a key part of this #together squad and one of the reasons we’ll be playing Chelsea next season. However if he wants to go, be it for the opportunity, the location or purely for the money then good luck to him and I wish him well.

Pickford - young and English, he’ll be

For what it’s worth I expect us to start next season with Ruddy and Maenpaa competing for the No.1 jersey.

That is what I think will happen. I do not think either stands out as the better of the two.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Pickford - young and English, he’ll be way too expensive after the season he’s had
Pantilimon – see Robles
Valdes – Wouldn’t say no, has had a good season for Boro
Fabianski – If Swansea go down he’d be a good option
Hennessey – No thanks
Jankupovic – See Valdes but Hull
Vorm – Great if possible…but probably pricey on wages

Agree with nearly all of that, except that I suspect Valdes is on higher wages than Vorm.

Vorm is an interesting one - he was superb at Swansea but has been unconvincing at Spurs - maybe a lack of regular games is to blame?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here