Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton's defensive tactics

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
With big investment this summer, we'll be fine. His counter attacking style will work, with better players at that level. The football under CH over the last 28 months has far more often than not been the best I've seen by the club since the late 70's.

You have to remember that on spending/wages, we should be about 7th or 8th in the Championship. We are up against scum like Villa and Massive who throw endless £10m's at trying to buy promotion, at a more profligate level than us. So CH worked out a style to get us winning the vast majority of games. It worked, we got promoted.

If we don't invest on quality this summer in many positions, we will definitely be relegated next spring.

I'm concerned that we don't play counter attacking though. That's what we should be doing when we have the lead, instead we seem to descend into desperate defending and backing off instead of pressing the ball and mounting attacks ourselves.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
"Defensive tactics" is a miff spread around here. When they had the ball, Brighton defended like any team should. When Brighton had the ball, they attacked like a team 1-0 up should. We had chances at 1-0 and didn't put them away. When Villa were attacking do you want to see the fullbacks pushed up, midfield spread wide and both attackers high up field?

Sometimes teams 1-0 up concede. That's how football works. Luckily for Brighton, they've won more than an average team does in this division who go a goal up...

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I'm not denying we have got the results this season but I'm pointing out that if we can't hold a lead against a 10 man Villa side, Hughton should not employ this same defensive tactics in the Premier League or we will get taken apart.

Same defensive tactics that got us a last minute winner at Birmingham and late goals at Brentford. Short memories some but no carry on defining our manager on a 10min spell in a last game of the season

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Same defensive tactics that got us a last minute winner at Birmingham and late goals at Brentford. Short memories some but no carry on defining our manager on a 10min spell in a last game of the season

Those are entirely different games, where we are chasing goals at the end of the game? I'm talking about games where we are leading by a single goal, we have conceded goals vs 10 men against two midtable sides in Preston and Villa, that is a tactical error i'm afraid.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
If it wasn't for a dreadful piece of goalkeeping we would of won can't blame the manager

D

Deleted member 2719

Mucks about with the team vs Norwich and Bristol City and then when 1-0 vs 10 men decides to sit back and invite them on when we should be getting at them and pinning them in their half. Done brilliant to get us promoted but **** me why doesn't he like to just go and get the ****ing win.

I agree, had the chance to bring Hemed much earlier to keep the pressure on, but he didn't.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
If we drew at Villa earlier in the season we'd say it's a good result. Who's not gutted at missing a bit of shiny? But **** it - doesn't matter at all, securing the future of the club was always the biggest achievement over a decade ago - going on and getting to the Prem is the ultimate expression of that. Brilliant season - heroes forever - legends all.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I've been one to question Hughton's tactics at times this season and last, and I do believe they've cost us points. HOWEVER, today isn't the day to be getting worked up about it. There'll be time for constructive criticism next season when we aren't winning most of our games, but for now Shirley the time for celebration?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Those are entirely different games, where we are chasing goals at the end of the game? I'm talking about games where we are leading by a single goal, we have conceded goals vs 10 men against two midtable sides in Preston and Villa, that is a tactical error i'm afraid.

Our strikers missed an easy chance to make it 2-0 and our goalkeeper made a howler at the death how is that the managers fault? Just not our day stop looking for someone to blame we gave it a go and fell short it happens but we are up

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm concerned that we don't play counter attacking though. That's what we should be doing when we have the lead, instead we seem to descend into desperate defending and backing off instead of pressing the ball and mounting attacks ourselves.

I think it's counter attacking, but of late (and Newcastle at home for example) there's a tendency to fall back too deep and The Alamo defending as you say. Bristol City at home was a classic where other than Stephens defensively who remained calm and measured, everyone else was too uptight and error prone. With better full backs and midfielders acquired or borrowed this summer, we can easily address this trait. But overall, CH has produced great football, wins galore and a stack of goals.

Contrast to the slow predictable low-scoring version served up by Poyet (the Amex era), OG and Hyppia.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Our strikers missed an easy chance to make it 2-0 and our goalkeeper made a howler at the death how is that the managers fault? Just not our day stop looking for someone to blame we gave it a go and fell short it happens but we are up

Yes the players made mistakes but against a 10 man midtable side we shouldn't be inviting them onto us like we did, just control possession. It's a tactical shortcoming of Hughton's i'm afraid.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Doesn't make it any less dreadful, goalkeepers are remembered for their mistakes unfortunately

If you choose to remember this mistake, rather than the penalty saves throughout the season that's your choice.

Personally, I choose to remember the Sheffield Wednesday game.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Think it's the last 3 games actually

Fine have your moment of doom and gloom personally I will be spending the summer reflecting on an amazing season with a great group of players and a manager that has taken us from relegation candidates to the premier league in 2 seasons

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Norwich fans moaned about them, admittedly we haven't seen many adverse affects in his time here, but 11vs10 1-0 up in the last match of the season with a chance to win the Championship and we stack 11 men behind the ball instead of pushing for a 2nd, against a team with nothing to play for. Doesn't omen well for next year...

really? :facepalm:

Just leaving Villa Park ..team gave its all ...Villa fans so happy they scraped a draw against us ...how far have we come

I think Hughton will be reasonably happy with his tactics that it came down to his goalkeeper letting one through his legs in the last minute. You can't coach players not to do that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here