Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spot on. I've been called a c*** for wanting this f#cker out of our club that he plays for because he is paid thousands. According to 'Harry Wilson's Tackle', I should f#ck off after supporting this club all my life , because this low-life that calls the man that gave the order to kill innocent British citizens a Hero, is ' one of ours.' Seems if you're a fairly decent footballer, which he is, you can do what you like. I'll be so happy when this scumbag leaves.

I feel inclined to reply to this. My view at the time (not having read exactly what SD wrote) was that if he had explicitly glorified the murder of English he would have been sacked by the club. My view was that your bile against a Brighton player, who was clearly not going to be disciplined let alone sacked for regretting the passing of someone, was inappropriate. I have come across people (and I don't mean you - I don't know you) who expect anyone of Irish Catholic background to condemn the IRA before being granted audience. The reality, of course, is that if you are of Irish Catholic background, especially from the North, it is likely to be a nuanced issue, and swearing allegiance to the Queen etc may well not fit comfortably. You may argue we English have the right to demand every citizen or person living here comdemn the IRA and swear allegiance to the queen, but there are arguments against, and we are not required to do this any more than we are all required to be C of E. Finally, as far as the politician who died is concerned, he bacame a fast friend of Rev Iain Paisley, and Paisley junior paid tribute after his death, so spouting your bile because one of ours did the same (i.e., expressed regret at his passing and called the man a hero - I am guessing here, but it doesn't matter if it was not actually glorification of murder) struck me as pathetic, sectarian, needless and offensive. That said, it seems clear that Duffy is an idot. That may or may not be a separate issue (Irish Catholics do not have a monopoly on stupidity). Anyway, all that said, I apologise for my previous offensive reply.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I feel inclined to reply to this. My view at the time (not having read exactly what SD wrote) was that if he had explicitly glorified the murder of English he would have been sacked by the club. My view was that your bile against a Brighton player, who was clearly not going to be disciplined let alone sacked for regretting the passing of someone, was inappropriate. I have come across people (and I don't mean you - I don't know you) who expect anyone of Irish Catholic background to condemn the IRA before being granted audience. The reality, of course, is that if you are of Irish Catholic background, especially from the North, it is likely to be a nuanced issue, and swearing allegiance to the Queen etc may well not fit comfortably. You may argue we English have the right to demand every citizen or person living here comdemn the IRA and swear allegiance to the queen, but there are arguments against, and we are not required to do this any more than we are all required to be C of E. Finally, as far as the politician who died is concerned, he bacame a fast friend of Rev Iain Paisley, and Paisley junior paid tribute after his death, so spouting your bile because one of ours did the same (i.e., expressed regret at his passing and called the man a hero - I am guessing here, but it doesn't matter if it was not actually glorification of murder) struck me as pathetic, sectarian, needless and offensive. That said, it seems clear that Duffy is an idot. That may or may not be a separate issue (Irish Catholics do not have a monopoly on stupidity). Anyway, all that said, I apologise for my previous offensive reply.

MyGrandfather was an Irish Catholic that I loved more than almost anyone on the planet. I think Duffy showed complete disrespect by tweeting what he did , to the country that he sees fit to live in and make his wage. No more than that. As for your apology, that is very decent from a poster that is usually one of NSC's best.:wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
MyGrandfather was an Irish Catholic that I loved more than almost anyone on the planet. I think Duffy showed complete disrespect by tweeting what he did , to the country that he sees fit to live in and make his wage. No more than that. As for your apology, that is very decent from a poster that is usually one of NSC's best.:wink:

Cheers. I can't, and won't argue with that. All the best :thumbsup:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Unfortunately any footballer, especially at this level, who gets into this sort of situation, is fair game. It may come as a surprise to some, but most of the sort of people who read the sun absolutely love this sort of thing, and would claim that it is in their public interest to read about it. In the UK it is still possible to argue that 'public interest' is anything the public is prepared to pay money to know about. Also if this were a story about a Palace player there would be pages and pages on it on here, and doubtless very little of it criticising the media outlet.

My reaction, when I open the thread, was that Duffy is an idiot, and it would not surprise me if we never see him again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying there are people who love this sort of thing, and the truth is, the reason the Sun ran a story on it is because it sells papers. But I still think it's his private life and it's his business. I can sort of understand it if a story was about a player being out on the piss the night before a big game, as that would be in relation to his professionalism. But the whole time we're lapping up stories about player's private lives then they'll keep writing them.

I also think the issue is larger than this Shane Duffy example. Put it into context and think of the impact these stories can have on an individuals life, especially when you look at the problems Aaron Lennon is currently facing. I would challenge anyone who said there was still a public interest in Aaron Lennon's private life now that they know he is having mental health issues. With that in mind, do these stories only become unacceptable because he has these problems? Or should we recognise that any stories about players private lives are crossing the line of what is acceptable in terms of public interest.

I'd also say that I think it's one of the reasons players are afraid to "come out", because they know that it will be splashed across the papers. Most people would agree a player's sexuality isn't anyone else's business, but we all know that there will be stories written about if some gutter rag gets wind of a player being gay.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Cheers. I can't, and won't argue with that. All the best :thumbsup:

Now that everyone's kissed and made up, there's a game and a title to win today, so onwards and upwards :thumbsup::cry:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying there are people who love this sort of thing, and the truth is, the reason the Sun ran a story on it is because it sells papers. But I still think it's his private life and it's his business. I can sort of understand it if a story was about a player being out on the piss the night before a big game, as that would be in relation to his professionalism. But the whole time we're lapping up stories about player's private lives then they'll keep writing them.

I also think the issue is larger than this Shane Duffy example. Put it into context and think of the impact these stories can have on an individuals life, especially when you look at the problems Aaron Lennon is currently facing. I would challenge anyone who said there was still a public interest in Aaron Lennon's private life now that they know he is having mental helath issues. With that in mind, do these stories only become unacceptable because he has these problems? Or should we recognise that any stories about players private lives are crossing the line of what is acceptable in terms of public interest.

I'd also say that I think it's one of the reasons players are afraid to "come out", because they know that it will be splashed across the papers. Most people would agree a player's sexuality isn't anyone else's business, but we all know that there will be stories written about if some gutter rag gets wind of a player being gay.

Good points. But what is the solution? Privacy laws like in France, perhaps? I don't know enought about how well it works there to comment. Did not one of their party leaders get outed, nevertheless, a few years ago, when photod en route between wife and mistress? Don't get me wrong - I do not and never would read the gutter press, and agree that unless it affects one's professional competance or flies in the face of one's agenda (this does not apply to a footballer but does apply, for example, to an MP whose platform is 'family values') then it cannot have any merit other than as a source of salacious content to tittilate a paying audience, and is certainly exploitative.

That said I do not defend Duffy in any way, and regard him, increasingly (see items passim) as potentially a problemaic character who may find his time at the club increasingly fraught; perhaps its too early to tell in that regard.

Sadly, the fact we are chatting about this shows it may well be an issue. Our most expensive ever signing, too :down:

Anyway, that's probably enough of this thread for me, on this fine potential championship winning morning. :bigwave::ascarf:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh yeah he's been a prat don't get me wrong I've no sympathy for him, but I'd wager a good bet if he was just an average Joe she wouldn't be taking those pictures.
As far as he record of events is concerned he was an average joe, single but with 2 kids, until he insisted she googled him.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Two things,

1) Glad it's come out at end of season not the beginning.

2) Thank God, She said Yes, don't need another Court Case hanging over us in our first season back up.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Good points. But what is the solution? Privacy laws like in France, perhaps? I don't know enought about how well it works there to comment. Did not one of their party leaders get outed, nevertheless, a few years ago, when photod en route between wife and mistress? Don't get me wrong - I do not and never would read the gutter press, and agree that unless it affects one's professional competance or flies in the face of one's agenda (this does not apply to a footballer but does apply, for example, to an MP whose platform is 'family values') then it cannot have any merit other than as a source of salacious content to tittilate a paying audience, and is certainly exploitative.

That said I do not defend Duffy in any way, and regard him, increasingly (see items passim) as potentially a problemaic character who may find his time at the club increasingly fraught; perhaps its too early to tell in that regard.

Sadly, the fact we are chatting about this shows it may well be an issue. Our most expensive ever signing, too :down:

Anyway, that's probably enough of this thread for me, on this fine potential championship winning morning. :bigwave::ascarf:

Ha ha you're absolutely right about it being a fine potenial championship winning morning and we should be in better spirits, so I will also stop posting after this.

To be honest, rather unhelpfully, I'm not sure what the answer is exactly. I'm not sure of the details of the French privacy laws, but I do feel we like the press in this country need to be reigned in sometimes.

I was just thinking actually, another reason these stories are bad are that they don't just affect the player, often family members, wives, partners, chidlren will be affected aswell. Imagine how terrible it would be to have a really painful situation spread across newspapers. The whole things seems very voyeuristic to me.

I do appreciate it's easy to pick up a paper and read these things without giving it much thought, and I'll admit I've done it myself. But I actually think most people if they stopped and looked at the harm that can be done, would recognise that the stories like this shouldn't be considered news.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We've had players do much while employed by the Albion.... he's not even married FFS !!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes Sir,yes it is,believe it or not,the Albion had supporters before NSC,difficult to take in I know.Trot along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny how you didn't care enough about the club to sign up to it for the last 20 years isn't it... Has something changed since March? ???

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Footballer in going out, pulling and playing away from home shock .
for all the moral guardians on here, most guys would do exactly the same if they were pro footballers (although not necessarily with this lady )

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
As far as he record of events is concerned he was an average joe, single but with 2 kids, until he insisted she googled him.

That's her version very true and if he said that more fool him although I don't believe everything I read especially from a load of trash. But if he did shows the ego that modern day footballers have that they must be recognised and believe that they can have what they want just because they play football.. I don't sympathise with him at all, play with fire your get burnt.
Stupid boy for outing himself there in that situation and clever girl for getting the pics to show the world.
Only person I feel sorry for is his partner tbh as I'm sure she doesn't want it all made public for the world to read.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here