Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I fully agree. And we wouldn't have been playing for the title today if it wasn't for his performances this season. None of that will be making him feel any better right now. That's the only point I'm making: he'll be devastated and I feel really bad for him.

Thing is, Dunk's got in his way and slashed at it which has put him off.

Now the tap in at the other end however!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Seems more than a few people really aren't that disappointed. They are so enamored with the plastic PL they aren't that fussed about missing out on something the club has never achieved in winning the title.

May I suggest you go sleep off the beers and Mr Angry persona?

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
TBH, if we had won today it would have been an absolute mugging. Think of the chances Poco gave them, Stocko's saves and the clear cut penalty to them. The manner of the goal is devastating, but the result was fair.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I wouldn't worry too much, I have seen Sunderland lift the Championship title twice (or whatever it was called before) however its not something I really even recall. If after today you stay up for the next 10 seasons say you will not remember what happened with coming second.

The biggest moment for me was the loss in the Milk cup a couple of seasons back, proudest day walking up Wembley way that day, more than beats winning the championship and should be the sort of things Brighton strive for in the PL

I still remember very fondly our back to back titles in the lower leagues. Those were times of great joy. Winning any title is hard to do. Losing a title like that is gutting.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would you have taken 2nd place two months ago?

Yes, of course. But after we got seven points clear with three games to go, no I wouldn't have settled for second; I wanted the Championship, and it's very disappointing that we blew it at that point.
Overall, this season, great, yeh. No arguments - I'm delighted. But do I feel disappointed and let down with the last three matches? Yes, I do. It'll pass with time, when the fixtures come out and the transfer news gets interesting, but right now it feels pants.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yeah. Two whole decades. It was the last millenium. At least one of the players on the pitch today wasn't born when that happened.

At some point people are going to have to stop using that as a stick to beat anyone who is disappointed with a result, stop using it to excuse the players choking.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise we're not allowed to be upset since the players are devastated.

Everyone here is upset. There's a difference between being pissed off after a goalkeeper error two minutes from time and the character assassination of the team and individuals in it. Some on here get a hard on if we don't win and they're a bunch of cocks IMO

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's fine to be gutted, but calling this team bottlers or spineless??? ****ing hell it's beyond belief.

Guess what, we're going to get absolutely battered quite a few times next season so you may as well **** off now and support another club if this is how you react to the team getting promoted to the premier league.

Would you have called the team bottlers if they finish 2nd last season? no you ****ing wouldn't.

False equivalences.

Firstly, this isn't how fans are reacting to promotion. Go back to Easter Monday for how the fans reacted to promotion. This is how people react to failing to win the third of three games against teams with nothing to play for (effectively for Bristol) despite having a man advantage and letting our grip on the championship title slip away.

Last season we weren't 7 points clear of second place with three games to play against teams with effectively nothing to play for, and failed to sew up the title. Getting second place last season would have, in the context of the end of last season, been celebrated as success. Just like sewing up promotion this season was celebrated.

Next season we will be supporting small fish, and will adjust expectations. If, come the end of next season, we're seven points clear at the top with three games to play against mid table sides, and we finish second, I suspect there will similar disappointment to today. If we get stuffed by the likes of Man United, Chelsea, Man City etc fan reaction won't be like this (unless we completely roll over without putting up fight, like Akpom's performance on his only start)

Last edited:

Yes, of course. But after we got seven points clear with three games to go, no I wouldn't have settled for second; I wanted the Championship, and it's very disappointing that we blew it at that point.
Overall, this season, great, yeh. No arguments - I'm delighted. But do I feel disappointed and let down with the last three matches? Yes, I do. It'll pass with time, when the fixtures come out and the transfer news gets interesting, but right now it feels pants.

totally this....only thing to come out of it is what players can step up to the challenges next season and I fear half won't

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think if we all admitted it, we all feel a bit let down/disappointed with the last three games, especially Brizzle at home. Today was gutting without a shadow of a doubt, and the way the goal came. BUT we are up, we are Prem. We are in the elite. That has to be the main goal, and we achieved it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Thing is, Dunk's got in his way and slashed at it which has put him off.

Now the tap in at the other end however!

Again, I'm not blaming Stockdale, I'm not putting the boot in. However he will be feeling like absolute shite because he let a goal in that 99 times out of a 100 he saves. There is nothing that you, me or anyone else can say to a goalkeeper that will make him feel any different. It's the nature of the position and the nature of goalkeepers.

Your second point highlights this. Baldock won't be feeling any where near as bad as Stockdale.

That's all I'm saying. I feel terrible for David Stockdale and what he'll be going through right now.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

Selective editing. I totally agree with you. My response was to a poster who queried effort. Disappointment fine, querying effort unbelievable.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Stockdale wouldn't have had to make a save if 10 players worked their arses off to shut down 9 players having any space to play in or get a shot off.

That didn't happen. I place no blame on the keeper.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Everyone here is upset. There's a difference between being pissed off after a goalkeeper error two minutes from time and the character assassination of the team and individuals in it. Some on here get a hard on if we don't win and they're a bunch of cocks IMO

But it's not just a goalkeeping error in one game. It's three games of underperforming, and throwing a title away.

Most of the people whining, are just upset. That's all. They are lashing out because they are upset. It's wrong to lump them in with the actually really small number of people who are happy we lost the title, or happy there was a mistake that could be held up as the reason we didn't win today.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
False equivalences.

Firstly, this isn't how fans are reacting to promotion. Go back to Easter Monday for how the fans reacted to promotion. This is how people react to failing to win the third of three games against teams with nothing to play for (effectively for Bristol) despite having a man advantage and letting our grip on the championship title slip away.

Last season we weren't 7 points clear of second place with three games to play against teams with effectively nothing to play for, and failed to sew up the title. Getting second place last season would have, in the context of the end of last season, been celebrated as success. Just like sewing up promotion this season was celebrated.

Next season we will be supporting small fish, and will adjust expectations. If, come the end of next season, we're seven points clear at the top with three games to play against mid table sides, and we finish second, I suspect there will similar disappointment to today. If we get stuffed by the likes of Man United, Chelsea, Man City etc fan reaction won't be like this (unless we completely roll over without putting up fight, like Akpom's performance on his only start)

No, it so not false equivalences. Newcastle took 1 point from three games before winning their last 3 while we took 9, so both teams took 10 from 6. There is a need to look at the longer game. In only three seasons of last 10 has 93 points not been enough to win League.

Of course it is disappointing to fail to win title from a position of 7 points ahead. We did f*** up but I do worry about posters who think we lost the plot, failed with effort, seem to allow the immediate to be more important than the bigger picture.

I don't share your optimism that posters will somehow see that expectations will adjust, we will lose games against the likes of Burnley, Bournemouth etc also and there will be long runs of games with no win. There just doesn't seem to be the patience required to understand this will happen. NSC could be a grim place as early as September.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here