Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Irony of this season....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That time was probably a good time to be in RAF, cold war and all that, more places to be posted to :)

Probably....what about yourself,pilot or something less glamorous.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Having watched the dross in the last years at the goldstone and withstood the agony of Priestfield, the Amex was truly a reincarnation of my love the Albion.

However in June last year work moved me to Dallas and here I've sat for months watching on line, furiously refreshing the Argus live match report page, as well as finding a bar that will allow me to watch live games in the corner while everyone else is transfixed on Premier League games.

At least I suppose this coming season I will get to watch us on a big screen.

However the YouTube footage of the Wigan game was tough in some ways to watch. Having seen disasters, calamities and near misses, the sight of that glorious stadium being swamped with delerious fans was in a way tinged with a very personal and selfish sadness at having missed out on the chance of being there.

Anyone else chosen this year to wrench themselves from sussex little realising the joyous drama that was to unfold this season?

I feel your pain. Off the top of my head I've missed through work the following.
83 Cup Final
91 Play Off Final
2004 Play Off Final
Then obviously this, the most glorious chapter.
GUTTED!

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Having watched the dross in the last years at the goldstone and withstood the agony of Priestfield, the Amex was truly a reincarnation of my love the Albion.

However in June last year work moved me to Dallas and here I've sat for months watching on line, furiously refreshing the Argus live match report page, as well as finding a bar that will allow me to watch live games in the corner while everyone else is transfixed on Premier League games.

At least I suppose this coming season I will get to watch us on a big screen.

However the YouTube footage of the Wigan game was tough in some ways to watch. Having seen disasters, calamities and near misses, the sight of that glorious stadium being swamped with delerious fans was in a way tinged with a very personal and selfish sadness at having missed out on the chance of being there.

Anyone else chosen this year to wrench themselves from sussex little realising the joyous drama that was to unfold this season?

I was also in the US at the time of the Wigan game

So, I totally agree

I returned for the Bristol C game expecting that to be even more emotional as we lifted the trophy, which would more than make up for it...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The best league in the world.

As the Albion are now promoted to the PL, I decided to dig out the programme issue of when we were promoted to the old Division 1.
I read an article written by Alan Mullery, and without any comparisons, I thought this part was very apt.

Quote:
For anyone in football management there's only one place to be, that's in the English First Division.
Without any doubt at all its the best league in the world.
Many top managers have gone out of English football and taken charge of teams in Spain, Sweden, America and the Middle-East, but a really top man always comes back.
There is no doubt that once you have been involved at this level, it's very difficult to be without it.
The day-to-day involvement with a top English club is something in football that can't be equalled.

Wise words from AM, which can and hopefully will be for many seasons to come :thumbsup:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I know that occasional poster [MENTION=25768]Spencer Vignes[/MENTION] was working somewhere way out east for the Doncaster and Hereford games. He'd tell it better, but it being all pre-internet, he received a telegram saying something like "1-1. Brighton stay up" and promptly jumped fully-clothed into a swimming pool.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Left Brighton in '76 but managed to be at Newcastle and Wembley, Hereford and Cardiff and countless games of mixed quality and importance across the country.
Been a season ticket holder and 1901 member but harder to get to games now as my wife's health and availability of carers dictates. As I get older my football club is even more important - a link to my past going back to the late 50's. Sometimes when looking back I can almost smell the linament as the players ran out at the Goldstone (we used to stand by the tunnel under the west stand).
Irony today is that my first game ever was at home to Villa on our first foray in Division 2 as it then was. Today its Villa again and I will be there. :thumbsup:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Wasn't there a play by that name with that actor named Jeremy Irony?

MV5BMTY5Mzg2NDY5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQwNzA0Mg@@._V1_UY317_CR13,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here