The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Could well be the case but to get from there to £30k is a 66% increase.

Not sure where I got £30k from, thought I'd read it on here somewhere but could only the comment about £19k.

Not that reading it on here would make it true.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Just to point out £50,000 per week equates to £2.6m per year leaving aside employers National Insurance etc. so OK, not all on £50K per week which, even one such in itself, would break the club's wage structure, but wages are only a part of the playing budget .

So where do we go from here ???

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Could well be the case but to get from there to £30k is a 66% increase.

Which is what Palace could easily offfer him given the size of their wage bill last season.

[Tweet]857926004802760706[/Tweet]

Palace are set to offer Zara £110,000 a week to persuade him to sign a new contract.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
If you sign anyone with PL experience from another team, even those that are getting relegated, 30K a week is almost an "average" Premier League wage, I'm guessing?

Also, I'm sure that the current playing squad will also have in-built increases in their contracts for getting promotion this season.
And I'm also pretty sure that if relegation happens, a cut in wages would also be built into contracts. (Which we didn't have years ago, and there was another team that went down, but their players stayed on the same wages. Was that Portsmouth possibly?)

Quick maths on contracts, assuming all players were on the same wages (25 Players x 50K =£1,250.000 a week, times 52 weeks = £65,000,000 :wozza:)

Shit, we really are going to have to tap into the overseas markets and sell a hell of a lot of shirts! Or charge an entry fee of £250 a game to get into the Seven Stars Bar! :smokin:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh, sorry, I see you're trying to ground football in reality.

Unfortunately, it isn't grounded as such. And consequently, the rules of supply and demand work on a more extreme level. You wanna know why they're doubling his [Tammy Abraham's] wages off of one good Championship season? It's for the very reason you've offered - because if they don't, someone else will.
Really? Young Tammy is certainly attracting interest - including from Brighton (well, at least from Brighton fans on NSC!). But doubling £28K a week? Maybe it's time Chelsea called 'someone else's' (or his agent's) bluff.
If he's a smart 19 year old, he'll know that a season in the Championship has raised his profile - next thing, if he wants to get to the top, maybe in the Beckham, Messi, Bale wage bracket, the best thing for him now would be a season showcasing himself in the PL. Even if he has to get by on a paltry £1.4M.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Incidentally in 1983 we allegedly had the highest wage bill in the country. Is that correct? And bonkers long contracts too. Ludicrous and tragic if true. Different story now - no hardship to be part of this set up, as opposed to the recipients of endless sneering, as we were back then, I would argue.
It was my understanding that our players were on fairly average wages for div 1 but on incredible bonuses for cup games, presumably on the basis that we were unlikely to do that well. I seriously believe that this was where the illusive cup run money went and why the players' focus was on the cup.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Really? Young Tammy is certainly attracting interest - including from Brighton (well, at least from Brighton fans on NSC!). But doubling £28K a week? Maybe it's time Chelsea called 'someone else's' (or his agent's) bluff.
If he's a smart 19 year old, he'll know that a season in the Championship has raised his profile - next thing, if he wants to get to the top, maybe in the Beckham, Messi, Bale wage bracket, the best thing for him now would be a season showcasing himself in the PL. Even if he has to get by on a paltry £1.4M.

I'm not saying I agree with football's inflation of wages, but they're the reasons it's happening. Add that to the fact he's young and English, and the demand for his services is even higher because clubs need a certain amount of home grown players in their squads.

Whether you like it or not, it's absolutely undoubted that he'd be able to demand wages similar to that. If Chelski see him as a long term player for them anyway, but intend to loan him out, his wage increase is actually a very sensible thing. They'll keep him happy and they'll have invested in their future, but the likelihood is that the club who loan him will pay a large portion of those wages (if not all of them), so the cost to Chelsea is actually minimal.

It really does surprise me that anyone is shocked by such a wage increase. It either shows a lack of understanding for basic supppy and demand rules, or a basic lack of understanding of the modern realities of football in England.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Incidentally in 1983 we allegedly had the highest wage bill in the country. Is that correct? And bonkers long contracts too. Ludicrous and tragic if true. Different story now - no hardship to be part of this set up, as opposed to the recipients of endless sneering, as we were back then, I would argue.

The length of contracts was crazy. I believe Steve Foster was on a 10 year contract, presumably at a decent wage for the time, the season we got relegated?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
When we starting in the championship I had it on good authority that none of the squad were paid more than £10k per week.

I hope none of our squad get more than £25k next season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
At my sisters wedding was a certain Chelsea accountant we got chatting late into the evening after a day on the sherbets, he told me I can't go into details but the wages reported in the media are so way off the mark they laugh about it in the office.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Some Premier League wage bills 2016/17. Total Sportek

Interesting that - Bournemouth and Burnley despite amongst the lowest budget are surviving in the Premier but Sunderland 10th in the wage table have failed miserably.

It's possible not to break the bank and succeed in the Premier League by making astute signings and paying reasonable wages.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
At my sisters wedding was a certain Chelsea accountant we got chatting late into the evening after a day on the sherbets, he told me I can't go into details but the wages reported in the media are so way off the mark they laugh about it in the office.

Understated or overstated?

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
When we were in the Prem we had a player on loan from Chelsea. According to rumour he was quite keen to make it known he was on more than any player at the club, perhaps why he didn't play a great deal for us....

But yep - it's crazy.

I remember Danny Higginbottom doing a fantastic piece on Talksport a while back about the problem with younger players. He was quite explicit in offering his own experiences as a youth player at Utd and contrasted this with how the younger players were towards the end of his playing days. He commented how common it is to see players drop off the radar at 22/23 and plunge down the leagues because they've been on silly contracts up until that point and not playing much, when they get released they are very inexperienced compared to their same age colleagues who have been playing first team football.

You'll see player X who you remember as once the next big thing at L2 and looking very average. He didn't hold back, said how we have no leaders coming through because these players have everything solved for them via agents (on and off the pitch).

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Overstated, I tried to squeeze more but he wasn't having it nice guy though.

I wonder what reason that could be? It doesn't make sense to show inflated costs and clubs have to have their accounts audited.

Edit: The source of the figures I guess aren't from the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here