Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do 1901ers get too many "loyalty" points?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So who's more of a fan
Someone who's paid £20,000 over 6 years on season tickets on say a salary of £46,000
Or someone who's paid £5,000 over 6 years on season tickets on say a salary of £18,000 a year
That's where rewarding 1901 more points falls flat on its face IMO

There are many STH's with multiple seats, who are contributing more per season than single seat 1901 ers but it doesn't entitle them to anything extra.
I sit in WSL, have three seats and pay over £2000 per season. If needed, I would commit to 5/10/15 years for these seats but that is not the requirement. I attend 8-10 away games a season but still struggle to have enough loyalty points for certain games ( e.g Villa )
Wherever you look you will find a gripe about entitlement/ loyalty etc. There is no easy answer.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Generally, loyalty points scheme works well. I do think that a small proportion of tickets should be up for grabs regardless of LP (to STH, memberships etc) to encourage hope and interest. Not all home tickets are season tickets (4000?) to encourage hope and interest.

One of the pre-match conversations in the pub on Saturday focused upon the much-anticipated away fixtures we have next year.

For most games, we'll be allocated a maximum of 3,000 tickets which is, I believe, about the same number of 1901 Club members that we have. Whereas a season ticket holder starts a new season with 1,000 points plus half the points in excess of 1,000 that they finished with at the end of the preceding season, a 1901er starts with a base of 1,100 points.

Simply this means that a 1901er who has not been to a single away game over the last 4 or 5 seasons will have more points than a season ticket holder who has been to 10 away games each and every season.

One 1901er with our group mentioned how some of his 1901 neighbours, who had not been to an away game for some time, had penciled in 9 or 10 for next season, and I think we could all guess which most of those 9 or 10 games will be.

I have no issue with 1901ers getting more points than a season ticket holder, as the scheme is largely a "puts money into the club" scheme, but it doesn't seem right to me that someone who has not travelled away before could, say, go to Old Trafford when someone who has regularly been putting in the miles in the Championship misses out.

(There are also plenty of 1901ers who regularly travel away. This thread is not about them though, clearly - they'll have earned enough points to merit their place in the queue anyway)

Haven't read all 9 pages so apologies if my point has already been raised. Someone who have been doing the 10 away games you say each season should have more loyalty points than a 1901 member who has not been to any, providing they are a season ticket holder.

Example, in the 2014/15 season they done 10 away games then 50 of those points would have carried over to the 2015/16 season. Another 10 game here earns a further 100 points. The total of 150 is halved and 75 carried over to this season.

Cue another 10 games and a further 100 points making a total of 175. Half will carry over so with the season ticket they will have 1087.

Oh, I see what you mean!

Yes, 1901 members do start with too many. Knock is down to 25

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am unhappy with the fact for the first time I was unable to get either Villa or Norwich tickets, its especially diffiuclt as I want to travel with people who have less points than me.

However I could easily approach clients and get an away ticket via their company 1901 tickets, I dont as, 1. I guzump someone who is also a regular away game ticket buyer and 2. I then don't get the loyalty points putting me furthur down the line.

I would like a bigger pool in the first round and a ballot system that gives more people a chance.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Anyone who recalls the ticketing for FA Cup 3rd round game at West Ham in 2007 will be aware of the one particular circumstance that will cause this to go nuclear...

:facepalm:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It's clearly unfair as the fans who travel away the most should have the highest priority. May as well start giving points for every £ spent in the club shop if that's the case.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's clearly unfair as the fans who travel away the most should have the highest priority. May as well start giving points for every £ spent in the club shop if that's the case.

Your latter point is not a bad idea actually. After all, one gets loyalty points in many other retail operations.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm not convinced that many more 1901 ers will go to more away games next season than this. Also worth noting that there are a lot of 1901 members who are loyal fans and who already do go to a lot of away games as well anyway. After Villa I will have done 19 of the 23, my friend 16.

I'm therefore not sure the extra 100 points will make that much difference to this. Will a 1901 er who has never been to an away game suddenly try and go away 9-10 times a season. I doubt that. Also consider a lot are owned by companies who's staff sometimes use them but are not interested enough to organise their arses into gear to buy away tickets. They are more of a "theres a ticket going for saturdays game" type of person.

The club also made a bid deal about 1901 club members having priority on away games when they were selling the original package. This has gradually been watered down but the 100 point buffer is I suppose the remains of this. Would be hard for them to back out of this now.

The problem will be I suspect if one of the London clubs or Bournemouth come up early in the season when STH's who travel to all away games won't have had chance to catch up the shortfall?

However if you are a STH who went to most away games last season against a 1901er who didn't you benefit from the 50% of the loyalty points being passed over from last season anyway?

Finally I'd also add the threshold the club start selling at is generally so low as to make this discussion a bit pointless. They may change that next season but I doubt it.

Agree with all of this.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry everyone if I've missed this.

If a 1901 member starts on 1100 points or whatever it is and attends some away games, are those loyalty points added to the 1901 member in the same way they are to the season ticket holder?

Or have I misunderstood, as I thought the 1901 member was then reset at 1100 at the beginning of the next season, therefore missing out on the away matches they attended.

Just wondered..... as that doesn't seem fair on the 1901 member if that's the case, perhaps they should have more....... ;-)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It will certainly be in demand, possibly other factors, such as the kick off time (Monday at 8pm won't be as attractive as Saturday at 3pm I suspect) will come into play too, as well as the time in the season.

Initially I would be surprised if any away match didn't sell out, even if the first few are (say) Stoke/Swansea/Burnley/Hull etc.

This rush for tickets in the north interests me. We didn't sell out the allocation at Burnley when going well in the Championship - so, same teams, same ground, same journey-time; would we really just sell out because we're in a higher league?

adub68

Jul 25, 2013
1901 x 2 member; have done on average a dozen away games each season over the 6 years - mostly northern games as my son lives in Manchester. I would admit I bought and renewed for another 5 years partially on the basis of some priority on away tickets - including some hope value of premier league ticket access. Irrespective if asked I would be fine with a change to the terms of the 1901 agreement for some of the 100 points premium (50%) to accrete over the year rather than have all of the 100 points awarded on the first day of the season ((or alternatively for some proportion of any premium above a rolling carry forward for actual cup games paid - say over the last 3 years - where 1901 have no points awarded and STH do). In this case it might remove some of the issues that will come up if more attractive away games come earlier in the season.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Agreed - as I said in my opening post. The question was whether 100 points was too many. Without checking, I'm pretty certain we don't average 5 home cup games a season, so I'm not buying any "extended cup run" justification.

Next season we will enter the League Cup (or whatever it's called now) at Round 2. That's another potential early 20 points that regular STH will miss out on.

TheOldGirl

Jul 24, 2013
Saltdean
I think the point that many are missing is the 5 year commitment that you make that cant be cancelled irrespective of what league we are in. Looking good now but how do you think it looked when Hypia was in charge, looking down the barrel of League one.Many people in the 1901 are not rich just normal people looking for a bit more comfort

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
i agree Bozza. The last time the loyalty points system was challenged (a diffierent challenge) Sir (i mean no sarcasm here given our recent heroics) Barber defended it in part by saying Lord Bloom had personally designed and he is a mathematician. I wouldn't argue but do feel there is over emphasis on the 1901 in this instance.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I think the point that many are missing is the 5 year commitment that you make that cant be cancelled irrespective of what league we are in. Looking good now but how do you think it looked when Hypia was in charge, looking down the barrel of League one.Many people in the 1901 are not rich just normal people looking for a bit more comfort

Very true. I purchased a 1901 membership with a lifetime seat licence pre the Amex opening and it knocked the stuffing out of me financially. I eventually sold 'in contract' and moved into the purchasers ESU seat (wasn't built at the time of 1901 purchase).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Do 1901ers get too many "loyalty" points?

My two 1901 neighbours have said that they will be going to ~10 away games next season, having both only been to two this season (Brentford and Fulham). I too wonder whether they will, when push comes to shove.

To be fair, if they (1901 members) got Brentford tickets then it suggests that not so many non-1901ers were that keen, or was there a large allocation for that game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here