Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

History Repeating Itself? 107 years on...

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
IF, IF we win the Football League Championship Title/Trophy then it will be our greatest ever honour since 1910, when we won the Charity Shield to become "Champions of All England".

Who did we play against to win the Charity Shield?

5 September 1910
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Aston Villa
Charlie Webb 72'​

Aston Villa!!!

My prediction for Sunday's game, BHAFC 1-0 AVFC, a 72nd Minute goal via Irish FA player Oliver Norwood. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It would be ironic if we beat Villa

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
IF, IF we win the Football League Championship Title/Trophy then it will be our greatest ever honour since 1910, when we won the Charity Shield to become "Champions of All England".

5 September 1910
Charlie Webb 72'​

Aston Villa!!!

My prediction for Sunday's game, BHAFC 1-0 AVFC, a 72nd Minute goal via Irish FA player Oliver Norwood. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh shit, they'll be all out for revenge, then.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well they certainly didn't have Seagulls Player in those days, it was called Pigeon Player.
When we scored, a Pigeon was dispatched forthwith to the Brighton area, with the scorers name wrapped in paper under said birds wing.
Messrs Cantor & Aspinall, sublime pigeon fanciers of their day.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

It would be iconic if we beat the Villians

Attachments

• aaaaaaa1910.jpeg
    aaaaaaa1910.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 563

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
It would be a coincidence if we beat Villa.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

5 September 1910
Charlie Webb 72'​

Aston Villa!!!

I have read some posts on here bigging up how important wining the league is, but this is by far the best. Not sure if you can call the winners of the second league 'Champions of all England' to be honest.

Enjoy the promotion and try not to worry too much about winning the league, promotion is the important thing from this league

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I have read some posts on here bigging up how important wining the league is, but this is by far the best. Not sure if you can call the winners of the second league 'Champions of all England' to be honest.

Enjoy the promotion and try not to worry too much about winning the league, promotion is the important thing from this league

No you've misunderstood. Maybe I should have written it better.

When the Albion won the Charity Shield in 1910 they were proclaimed "the Champions of All England". This is because the Charity Shield Final was contested by the winners of the Southern League and the (northern) Football League. North v South. Hence the winner became "the Champions of All England". It used to be the early 19th Century Super Bowl.

Winning the Football League in 2017 would be our greatest honour since winning the Charity Shield. We've been promoted to the first tier before and been FA Cup Runners-Up, but neither of these are actual "honours".

Personally I think winning the Football League is just as important as promotion to the Premier League, simply because nothing has come close in the past 107 years!

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
If it is... someone once said events of history do repeat themselves - the first time as tragedy, the second as farce. Since the original instance was a win at Villa it must have been their tragedy, so must be their farce subsequently. A 5-0 defeat at home by a resurgent Albion then. Sorted.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
If it is... someone once said events of history do repeat themselves - the first time as tragedy, the second as farce. Since the original instance was a win at Villa it must have been their tragedy, so must be their farce subsequently. A 5-0 defeat at home by a resurgent Albion then. Sorted.
Stamford Bridge, neutral venue 1910.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Principle is the same. A tragedy for them to lose, now it's time for the farce of their capitulation!

I think the disappointment of the last two results and the precariousness that we are left with after seeming to be in a stronger position to win the Championship has left people a bit blind to two facts:

a) We are actually a good team, and Villa are beatable.

b) Bristol City are on a resurgence and after their goal played a masterclass in keeping compact - and our hyper-excited play at arm's length. Do Villa play the same? If they are more expansive and don't have the same drilling, as well as being at home and that kind of play not being so favoured, whether they are practiced in it or not, Albion are more than capable of getting the necessary win.

Up the Albion! :albion2:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Victory of Villa would be ironic, wouldn't it ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It would be ironic if we beat the Villa

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

But that's not history repeating itself. That's something entirely different happening.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here