Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Baker

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
At the show I went to he said that it would definitely not be a football show but, of course, there was some mention along the way. Particularly I remember the story of the coach of Millwall supporters trying to get a drink on the way home.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
+1 here - books are very funny and wish they would do some more of the TV shows.

Been talk of a new series but that's all. Really enjoyed it as it's set at the time when I was at school and it's so true to life in the late 7os early 80s.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Really! History was not my strong point. That episode when they get a video recorder can't be that early on can it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videocassette_recorder

Looks like they were around late 60s/early 70s. Became mainstream mid 70s I guess.

He left school at 14 so probably the series is set around 1971/72. I haven't read the books but as he does like spinning a yarn, I guess some facts should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I really enjoyed that, an excellent Birthday for me. Danny Baker should be given a daily radio show,much better than some polluting the airwaves.

He did have, but bbc London pulled it. Listen to his show online, the day he was told, it's fantastic. Utterly ruins them.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
He did have, but bbc London pulled it. Listen to his show online, the day he was told, it's fantastic. Utterly ruins them.
You can maybe sort of see why they got rid of him as it is the same formula all the time.Recycled questions to get the public to tell their stores along with a sidekick to bounce tall tales off of. But it is a format that works very well and gets consistently good ratings. For me, he excels at interviewing people he really has an interest in as it is entirely removed from standard interviews. It can be Inside Baseball style details or minutia delving but is much better than a Parkinson style puff piece.

Shame the podcast format didn't take off but I think he didn't get the concept and expected to rake it in. There are too many free podcasts for many people to pay for them and the company he chose wanted to be a Netflix style subscription service. Looks like they still exist and list the episodes but looks like a mess of a site.

http://www.wippit.com/ArtistAlbumDetails.aspx?strArt=Danny Baker&StrCatType=S

Edit - looks like WIppit is long gone. Shame there appears to be no download links for the shows.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videocassette_recorder

Looks like they were around late 60s/early 70s. Became mainstream mid 70s I guess.

He left school at 14 so probably the series is set around 1971/72. I haven't read the books but as he does like spinning a yarn, I guess some facts should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Did not get a Video recorder till 1979 in our house. I know it was around that time as the first film we rented was Animal House which I must have watched about twenty times. In those days you rented a film for a week before having to return it.

Jul 7, 2003
Really! History was not my strong point. That episode when they get a video recorder can't be that early on can it?

He has said that the TV series is based on the books but they used artistic licence with the stories around when they happened to fit them into a six episode series.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here