Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will some of the supporters be the weak link next season?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
We are going to get beat next season, maybe even badly a few times. If some of our supporters are going to view defeat by singling out players for special criticism, next season will be like poison and not just on this board!

We need to be more realistic over the summer and next season, SUPPORTING the players and club through the hard season ahead because our club is going to need us big time; even if that just means a more realistic and positive outlook in defeat!

UTA

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
How will criticism on this board be poison?

If players are too timid to accept brickbats justified or otherwise they should be nowhere near social media.

I don't know any players personally but I would imagine most would just laugh at critical comments and call the contributors :tosser: !!

Glenn Murray just a few games ago called supporters fickle for the animosity shown to Akpom.

The players know the vast majority of supporters are behind them through thick and thin and that is what counts. :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We are going to get beat next season, maybe even badly a few times. If some of our supporters are going to view defeat by singling out players for special criticism, next season will be like poison and not just on this board!

We need to be more realistic over the summer and next season, SUPPORTING the players and club through the hard season ahead because our club is going to need us big time; even if that just means a more realistic and positive outlook in defeat!

UTA

I tend to agree. It's pretty much what Bobby said pre match yesterday, and he was spot on I thought.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
It's the lack of vocal support that won't help when we're at home.

Sitting there in silence & leaving 15 minutes early to get home for Ant & Dick's Saturday night takeaway.

Unfortunately we lost a lot of fans at Withdean & it's going take years to build a massive hardcore support at the AMEX.

There were some utter bellends at the game yesterday who were just there for the glory.

Personally I'm not bothered about winning it, it would have been nice but to be promoted at Wigan at home & what followed after will live with me forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If the players are giving 100% and getting beaten by better teams I believe the fans will be right behind the team. However if like yesterday there appears to be a lack of commitment and effort from the players then the fans will rightfully get on their backs.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If the players are giving 100% and getting beaten by better teams I believe the fans will be right behind the team. However if like yesterday there appears to be a lack of commitment and effort from the players then the fans will rightfully get on their backs.

This was the issue yesterday - particularly given the circumstances of the game, what was at stake and the not unreasonable expectations of the fans.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How will criticism on this board be poison?

If players are too timid to accept brickbats justified or otherwise they should be nowhere near social media.

I don't know any players personally but I would imagine most would just laugh at critical comments and call the contributors :tosser: !!

Glenn Murray just a few games ago called supporters fickle for the animosity shown to Akpom.

The players know the vast majority of supporters are behind them through thick and thin and that is what counts. :)

Because antipathy spreads to the terraces. Some of the vocal treatment of Ashley Barnes for example by sections of our supporters was generated from this site and social media. He's gone on to be a valuable Premier League player, and yet too many were convinced, or were led to be convinced that he wasn't good enough.

When the going is great, yeah sure we all get behind the team. Point is, if we're on a bad run next season, will multiple threads and getting on player's backs transfer to the crowd - recent history tells us it will, and it will be done when we least need it.

MongoJerry

Mar 23, 2013
I can see alot more leaving early when for example 3 down against Chelsea with a 5.30pm kick off and about 3,000 Chelsea wanting to give it large at the station.The family stand will be leaving in droves on 80 minutes.

There was enough of our own in the East lower yesterday giving it large to the Away end much to the dismay of parents trying to explain to their kids what the various aggressive hand gestures and supporting F bombs meant or didn't mean. Plenty of banter could have been sent City's direction without aggression. Think you've got to choose your stand appropriately. A season ticket isn't something I can commit to so I'm 6-7 games a season. Mr potty mouth when I'm on my own and choose North. When with my kids I go East lower and bite my tongue. I felt embarrassed yesterday with the pissed up behaviour of some of our own which dampened the atmosphere of the mainly family crowd around them. We all expect a cheeky you're s@@t but adding aggression changes it for me. I know the east will never be the loudest but geez, have a little self awareness.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Because antipathy spreads to the terraces. Some of the vocal treatment of Ashley Barnes for example by sections of our supporters was generated from this site and social media. He's gone on to be a valuable Premier League player, and yet too many were convinced, or were led to be convinced that he wasn't good enough.

When the going is great, yeah sure we all get behind the team. Point is, if we're on a bad run next season, will multiple threads and getting on player's backs transfer to the crowd - recent history tells us it will, and it will be done when we least need it.

Quite. Akpom is the example given in my post.

All poorly performing teams get dogs abuse from their supporters, we will certainly not be unique and there is zero anyone can do about it except for the players to give 100% every game even if they are not good enough to beat the team in front of them and then most realistic supporters will just accept what will be, will be. The more unhinged types will always spout bile.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was perfectly civilised in West Upper yesterday (in my area anyway). That said, the lad who has sat next to me from day one always gets a bit over excited, and yesterday was no exception. The mentality is this: starts out noisily disputing every refereeing decision, regardless of how obviously the decision was correct. Then, if things are not going well, whenever a player makes a mistake, he's on their back. To be fair he never names the player in an abusive way, but the anguished outbursts have only one flavour. He's a really nice bloke, and I like sitting next to him, but next season, if he doesn't acquire a little perspective, it is going to be ****ing torture.

And even on here..... we were not shit yesterday. We did not bottle it. Steven was not rubbish. In fact I thought Stevens was sublime. His movement and passing are first class and he will grace a PL side. I hope it will be us.

No, yesterday we lost a game. That means we have now lost, er, the fewest number of games in the division. We are top of the league. We are not bottlers. Hughton is not clueless.

Some of our supporters, as the OP implies, are pathetic drunken inexperience tin pot provincial numpties. Actually, it reminds me of the olden days in the early 1970s, with our laughable North Stand 'boot boys'. Hopefully, if we have a run of defeats next season, they'll quickly piss off back to where they came from

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A few around us already started moaning, Christ on a Bike what will they be like next term?

As has been said, anyone not enjoying every second of this season really is missing out. It will not be as good as this again for some time. The matches such as at Fulham, Brentford, Brum and QPR will be permanent and untarnished highs in a great season. Cannot believe how people are saying yesterday was a let down...it was always going to be a games on the last day of school event.

I hope we can lift it and win at Villa, going full of open minded optimism but if we dont then hey-ho, it has been one hell of a year.

One more thing, Stephens was different gravy.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Some of it, for me, will be about not taking to heart the utterances of those who'll quickly turn and jeer when imperfection seems apparent. There's frustration to come when our stars are outshone, but I hope the happiness we've had this season will stay with us and expectation not raised to impossible levels. We've been remarkable, and I unreligiously pray for that to continue, but the rejoicement will continue within me, accompanied by enough uncrushing reason to know the likelihood of what's to come.

MongoJerry

Mar 23, 2013
It was perfectly civilised in West Upper yesterday (in my area anyway). That said, the lad who has sat next to me from day one always gets a bit over excited, and yesterday was no exception. The mentality is this: starts out noisily disputing every refereeing decision, regardless of how obviously the decision was correct. Then, if things are not going well, whenever a player makes a mistake, he's on their back. To be fair he never names the player in an abusive way, but the anguished outbursts have only one flavour. He's a really nice bloke, and I like sitting next to him, but next season, if he doesn't acquire a little perspective, it is going to be ****ing torture.

And even on here..... we were not shit yesterday. We did not bottle it. Steven was not rubbish. In fact I thought Stevens was sublime. His movement and passing are first class and he will grace a PL side. I hope it will be us.

No, yesterday we lost a game. That means we have now lost, er, the fewest number of games in the division. We are top of the league. We are not bottlers. Hughton is not clueless.

Some of our supporters, as the OP implies, are pathetic drunken inexperience tin pot provincial numpties. Actually, it reminds me of the olden days in the early 1970s, with our laughable North Stand 'boot boys'. Hopefully, if we have a run of defeats next season, they'll quickly piss off back to where they came from

The ones giving it large in East Lower yesterday spent 90% of the game watching and shouting abuse at the city end. 10% was watching the team they supposedly support. Definitely boot boys. Would have loved that passion to have been used for singing a few songs directed towards our own team

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Absolutely this!

Also maybe the team has run out of steam, emotionally and physically! I'm not making excuses but the goal for so long has been promotion, add with that one thing which has been rarely mentioned, the sense of responsibly to the victims of the shoreham tragedy felt by meany at the club last season! I'm just amazed the players have used all that energy in a positive way! Criticising effort i think ignores the bigger picture for many players here who have just got us promoted to the PL!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Exactly this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here