Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace campaign to end homophobic chanting......

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Always strange. Almost without exception the Palace fans I've met in person are really good people but every news story about them is about utter twats.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I saw the thread title and thought the queen was lending her support....

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I am not advocating nor do I subscribe to any sort of Homophobia.

BUT, i will ask (in regard to the media, television and magazines) whether society is now promoting or even celebrating Homosexuality over just the acceptance of it.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland

BUT, i will ask (in regard to the media, television and magazines) whether society is now promoting or even celebrating Homosexuality over just the acceptance of it.

If you are referring to things like seeing gays and lesbians kissing in soap operas and the like then that is quite commonplace these days. I don't see it as promoting, more like normalising, and I for one think it's a good thing and the best way to remove stigma.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Well. If you happened to be a gay guy or woman who had to think twice about doing the sort of thing the rest of us take for granted, such as giving a partner a quick peck on the cheek to say hello, or walking down the street holding hands for a brief second, or putting your same-sex partner down as next-of-kin on a form or a hotel room booking, and having people look at you differently as a result, then perhaps you might realise what LGBT people still have to contend with, even in 2017.

PS: I don't think you can "promote" a particular sexuality. People fall in love with other people for all sorts of reasons. But they don't spy somebody gay in Heat! magazine and think, "Excellent, that looks fun, maybe I'll give it a whirl"...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well. If you happened to be a gay guy or woman who had to think twice about doing the sort of thing the rest of us take for granted, such as giving a partner a quick peck on the cheek to say hello, or walking down the street holding hands for a brief second, or putting your same-sex partner down as next-of-kin on a form or a hotel room booking, and having people look at you differently as a result, then perhaps you might realise what LGBT people still have to contend with, even in 2017.

PS: I don't think you can "promote" a particular sexuality. People fall in love with other people for all sorts of reasons. But they don't spy somebody gay in Heat! magazine and think, "Excellent, that looks fun, maybe I'll give it a whirl"...

We've still come on a hell of a long way since the last generation. Maybe it won't be totally accepted in our lifetime, but it will, one day, sooner rather than later.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The supporters who spray paint their own bus are hardly going to be concerned about abusing their own fans!

Of course the problem here is that to come up with something else to 'banter' with us about takes a small amount of brain power. Fans that are unable to grasp the fact that their homophobic chants will upset many gay people (including their own fans) are going to struggle in this department.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The supporters who spray paint their own bus are hardly going to be concerned about abusing their own fans!

To be fair the monkey chants of the 70s/80s against opposition players up and down the country were a tad embarrassing if you had a black player in your team, and a black best mate standing next to you, as I did. It is no different from homophobic chanting.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair the monkey chants of the 70s/80s against opposition players up and down the country were a tad embarrassing if you had a black player in your team, and a black best mate standing next to you, as I did. It is no different from homophobic chanting.

Hear what you're saying, but personally I'd find that sort of thing embarrassing even if I was entirely surrounded by people of pure Caucasian heritage....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hear what you're saying, but personally I'd find that sort of thing embarrassing even if I was entirely surrounded by people of pure Caucasian heritage....

I meant the whole culture was embarrassing, having come from a half Asian family, my mums side being Burmese, having had a dad that ended up with a black woman, when my parents split, having had my best mates being black since I can remember walking, I just don't understand it. Having not been brought up with gay people, it was still against the law I believe, it will still take a generation for it to die out, as it was with immigration from the 50s. My mum was a 50s immigrant. But yes I understand what you're saying too.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I meant the whole culture was embarrassing, having come from a half Asian family, my mums side being Burmese, having had a dad that ended up with a black woman, when my parents split, having had my best mates being black since I can remember walking, I just don't understand it. Having not been brought up with gay people, it was still against the law I believe, it will still take a generation for it to die out, as it was with immigration from the 50s. My mum was a 50s immigrant. But yes I understand what you're saying too.

I guess it's generally easier to identify people by their ethnic origin (although by no means straightforward, given The Sun's recent embarrassment over Kelvin McKenzie's article on Ross Barkley). But when it's people's sexuality under consideration, none of us ever know who we're surrounded by, who we might be causing distress to, do we?

I'm hopeful we're gradually getting there. Nobody in life chooses who they fall in love with.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I guess it's generally easier to identify people by their ethnic origin (although by no means straightforward, given The Sun's recent embarrassment over Kelvin McKenzie's article on Ross Barkley). But when it's people's sexuality under consideration, none of us ever know who we're surrounded by, who we might be causing distress to, do we?

I'm hopeful we're gradually getting there. Nobody in life chooses who they fall in love with.

I have a mate that decided, realised, call it what you will that he was gay in his late 40s. He isn't your stereotypical. He's a big footy fan (not Brighton) and used to play. In fact he played for some 25 years. When he did come out, none of his friends deserted him, which is thoroughly respectful, because as a mate I have known him for 40 years and it is nice to know his friends aren't and haven't used his sexuality against him. There is some gratitude to be had out there.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I would suggest that perhaps society is normalising Homosexuality.

But even it was celebrating it, what is wrong with celebrating love. We need something to celebrate.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

Agreed .Likewise Gay Pride but no Straight Pride festivals .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I love the post from one Palace oink whose manages to turn it completely around by saying because we take offence then we're homophobic. With logic like that, best not engaging with in first place.

One things for sure. The press will be waiting. It's the Premier League. And Palace will be all over news for the wrong reasons when the inevitable songs start. Same at all the other grounds when it happens. I think our arrival in the PL is generate a lot of off the field headlines sadly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here