Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace campaign to end homophobic chanting......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am not advocating nor do I subscribe to any sort of Homophobia.

BUT, i will ask (in regard to the media, television and magazines) whether society is now promoting or even celebrating Homosexuality over just the acceptance of it.

You display a very basic misunderstanding of sexuality. If it wasn't bordering on homophobic it'd be laughable.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I work at Gatwick with 2 palace fans and they are both openly gay.

Not sure if that's any relevance to this thread

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair the monkey chants of the 70s/80s against opposition players up and down the country were a tad embarrassing if you had a black player in your team, and a black best mate standing next to you, as I did. It is no different from homophobic chanting.

Surprisingly bang on topic from me.... I was at Palace : Albion in the 70s, when they had Hilaire and we had a black player (tempted to say Rambo but my memory is weak) and the two sets of supporters exchanged monkey chants each time the relevant player got the ball (only one black player in each team of course, according the the 'rules' of the day - adding a little flair but not temperamentally suited to leadership or defensive roles). At some point the absurdity hit home and people started laughing. But it carried on . . . . embarrassing to think about it.

WRT the 'promoting' comment of someone who should no better, I think Edna dealt with that. Very sad to find that there are people still who think that, for example, if I like to liten to Velvet Acid Christ it means I must want to eat their children.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I love the post from one Palace oink whose manages to turn it completely around by saying because we take offence then we're homophobic. With logic like that, best not engaging with in first place.

One things for sure. The press will be waiting. It's the Premier League. And Palace will be all over news for the wrong reasons when the inevitable songs start. Same at all the other grounds when it happens. I think our arrival in the PL is generate a lot of off the field headlines sadly.

I think they like to be considered the crusaders of the premier league and defenders against the dark Lord sky, and wealthy corporations who ravage and pillage football clubs and fans alike ,obviously with the exception of themselves.
And of course every sports pundit and reporter is salivating at the thought of what they can print next about the protectors of our national sport ....arise Sir palace where would we all be without you.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
im not personally offended by anything yelled or chanted at football but homophobic and racial abuse has no place. I found the CPFC statement rather patronising in a " don't pick on the whoopsies" kind of way. While I have no problem with them or their fans beyond rivalry "bants" they really are a backwards, tinpot, disingenuous, third divisional, £ Shop of a "team".

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Agreed .Likewise Gay Pride but no Straight Pride festivals .

Maybe when we straight people have endured centuries of persecution and hatred for falling in love with someone we can have a nice parade as well. Until then, we've got no reason to have one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Proves the point that Palarse fans generally are to$$ers.. :tosser:
It's actually taken their LGBT fans to do something about it, because their backward fans would never relent. Their statement backs up what I've always said against homophobic chanting.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think they like to be considered the crusaders of the premier league and defenders against the dark Lord sky

....whilst demanding their club pay £30million and £90k per week for Christian Benteke etc : rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
As Comedy Steve pointed out during his brilliant performance at Build A Bonfire on Wednesday, gay sex is an act of pleasure, between consenting adults, whereas sheep shagging is illegal animal rape.

Unless the ovine in question is a bit of a slag who's well up for it. We'll have to leave it open to question until the boffins learn to talk 'sheep'. :)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I wonder just how genuine Palaces campaign is? The last times we played their shitty fans were using many chants of a homophobic nature and it's likely next season they'll be more of the same and Palace know this.

So is this a genuine moral crusade, or a club that realises it might face sanctions if history likely repeats and thus just as Brightons promotion is confirmed it moves to be seen to be doing something?

I'd guess the latter, it wouldn't be happening if we weren't promoted.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wonder just how genuine Palaces campaign is? The last times we played their shitty fans were using many chants of a homophobic nature and it's likely next season they'll be more of the same and Palace know this.

So is this a genuine moral crusade, or a club that realises it might face sanctions if history likely repeats and thus just as Brightons promotion is confirmed it moves to be seen to be doing something?

I'd guess the latter, it wouldn't be happening if we weren't promoted.
Exactly. They know they're gonna get in the shit if thy don't be seen to be doing something.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BUT, i will ask (in regard to the media, television and magazines) whether society is now promoting or even celebrating Homosexuality over just the acceptance of it.

I don't agree this is the case. But, if it was, so what?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

Showing us in everyday situations, doing what the rest of the community takes for granted (holding hands in public, a quick peck on he check etc) is not promoting or even celebrating homosexuality. The fact that its still a "news" story that The Doctors companion is gay, rather than just a apart of that persons character shows how far there still is to go. A friend of mine in a northernish town was recently really worried as his sexuality had become known and he had genuine concerns as to the reaction of his friends, acquaintances and family. In a supposedly liberal country, the suicide rate for young gay teens is still alarmingly high, where school bullying and homophobic attacks are still common place , where young teens are still forced to leave home because of their sexuality ,ANYTHING that shows us to be nothing more or less than the rest of society is a good thing. When I was growing up and discovering I was gay, there was nothing on tv showing gay men in any "normal" situations, the only things were sordid nasty references about "those" sorts of men, really encouraging for a 14 year old boy I can tell you, so no, acceptance has not yet been achieved and why the bloody hell should I be happy with someone "accepting" me, your phrasing itself implies that I have something that needs to accepted

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here