Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CH interview in the Guardian

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not sure about anybody else, but I just feel there's very little new to be said about CH and the Albion in the nationals now, just a whole load of papers being forced by results to switch their attention away from Newcastle and play belated catch-up to the REAL story of the season. Finally not under the radar anymore.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure about anybody else, but I just feel there's very little new to be said about CH and the Albion in the nationals now, just a whole load of papers being forced by results to switch their attention away from Newcastle and play belated catch-up to the REAL story of the season. Finally not under the radar anymore.

I'd agree with that assessment

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Running out of superlatives for this man. So impressive.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He just comes across as a quality individual - every time.

Decent, honest and truthful manager finally hooked up with decent, honest and truthful chairman. I can honestly see him being here longer than Wenger at Arsenal. Seriously can't envisage a scenario whereby TB is moved to replace CH with Colin Wanker or Dancing Alan or any of the other usual serial loser suspects.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Nice guys can win .

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Interesting piece from a sensible newspaper, although I don't think the Albion has ever been bankrupt.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't know he played for West Ham and Brentford. Nor did I know that he wrote a football column for the Workers Revolutionary Party’s newspaper.

I know what you're getting at – and it's hardly re-inventing the wheel – but I thought it was a decent, wide-ranging piece that was as much about the man as the club. 'Hughton is enjoying himself again, away from the pressures of management or inequality. But there is an urgent knock on the door and another reminder that our interview should have ended 15 minutes earlier. Bloom and his directors have been kept waiting." That's just funny :lol:

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

Read the article.

It has very little to do with our promotion.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Decent, honest and truthful manager finally hooked up with decent, honest and truthful chairman. I can honestly see him being here longer than Wenger at Arsenal. Seriously can't envisage a scenario whereby TB is moved to replace CH with Colin Wanker or Dancing Alan or any of the other usual serial loser suspects.

Yep agree, we will always need a football Guru who can be trusted so I can easily see him being our Wenger. He is also acting as our director of football all in but name so even when he wants to retire from the sideline I would still like him to have a director of football role here in some capacity and oversee future managers.

Bloom and Barber are great at their jobs, but there is nothing that they can tell Hughton about the actual football and who to recruit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I can't - it would mean he'd be approaching 80 years old...........

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I tried, I really did, but I could not resist replying to the bloke in the comments inferring we'd bought promotion.

I stopped reading comments sections on web articles a LONG time ago, let alone thought about engaging with the people who'd written them!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I stopped reading comments sections on web articles a LONG time ago, let alone thought about engaging with the people who'd written them!

I know, me too. But when I saw it I felt some weird compulsion to explain to him we'd not bought promotion. I'm so weak.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
It's quite hard to say something new after reading such an article that shows something of what CH is like.

Suffice it to say I think he is a very important part of the character and the ethos of the club which goes way, way beyond what he does for the football..... which in itself is remarkable.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It was a good read actually.

Not sure about black manager inequality in football. Half of the Prem is filled with foreign managers. I don’t remember Ruud Gullit managing Chelsea being anything other than normal but not all players can make the step into management. There have been many black managers who just aren’t good managers just like bad white managers. Or take Chris Powell who did good things at Charlton, he didn’t get sacked for his colour, it was the owners who owned another club and brought their own manager over.

Football managment is a cut throat business and no managers job is safe. What happened at Birmingham with Gary Rowett is just football. If he was black would we think it happened because of his colour. Hughton didn’t lose his job at Newcastle and Norwich because of colour.

Football management is a tough career for everyone and Nathan Jones is a great example of how hard you need to work if this is the path one chooses. I am not sure that the average good footballer, no matter their colour can make the jump into management. Certainly not the Kemy’s and Leon Best’s of the football world because money for these types just spoils them into being lazy piss takers.

Hughton has got where he is today purely because of all the hard work he has put in, and Rosenior is the type who will have a future in management because he will actually go and get his coaching qualifications and will earn his trust at a club in the future. Coaching and assistant managing is still a very good achievement in this game. Do all spoilt with money players want to work hard? No, if we look at Shearer wanting to manage England only to find out he hasn’t bothered to earn his coaching badges.

Hughton has an impeccable track record in the football game that can be traced back forty years, that’s why he got the job here, and that’s why the time is right for him and us. He is an inspiration for black managers but with the lesson to work hard and be of good integrity.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here