Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tammy Abraham

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think it might be a maximum of four at the same time? I didn't even know about the rules for PL clubs. I thought it was unlimited until I looked it up and I am still not sure (not read the original rule) .

Can you not read? Or is this another case of you making stuff up as you go along.

I've already said Hull had 6 players on loan last season at the same time. (That had a 7th but that was Markus Henriksen who they signed permanently in January).

mike1901

May 12, 2017
If we can get him on a season long loan, that would mean more money freed up for wages and tranfer fee on another striker. We will need 5 in the prem.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Can you not read? Or is this another case of you making stuff up as you go along.

I've already said Hull had 6 players on loan last season at the same time. (That had a 7th but that was Markus Henriksen who they signed permanently in January).

There is a discrepancy with the Hull loan signings.

Loans – These are officially called temporary transfers. Under the Premier League rules, Premier League clubs cannot loan to another PL club a player they have acquired in the same window.

During the temporary transfer the player cannot play against the club from where he was transferred. A Premier League can acquire no more than four players through temporary transfers in the same season, with no more than one from the same PL club at the same time. (see Rule V.5, p200)

https://www.premierleague.com/news/60177

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
There is a discrepancy with the Hull loan signings.

Loans – These are officially called temporary transfers. Under the Premier League rules, Premier League clubs cannot loan to another PL club a player they have acquired in the same window.

During the temporary transfer the player cannot play against the club from where he was transferred. A Premier League can acquire no more than four players through temporary transfers in the same season, with no more than one from the same PL club at the same time. (see Rule V.5, p200)

https://www.premierleague.com/news/60177

Watford and Hull both had more than 4 players on loan over the course of last season. So I don't think that page explains the rules fully. I'm fairly certain the rules only apply to players being loaned from other Premier League or EFL sides. Loans from foreign leagues appear to have different rules but I cannot find any reference to them.

http://pulse-static-files.s3.amazon...169074163/2016-17_Premier_League_Handbook.pdf That's a link to last seasons premier league handbook. Loans are covered on page 219, but the first rule states

V.6.
Subject to the conditions set out below, a Temporary Transfer shall be permitted:
V.6.1. between Clubs; and
V.6.2. between a Club and a club in membership of The Football League, the National League, the Northern Premier League, the Isthmian League and the Southern League.

This makes no mention of non domestic leagues and I cannot see any additional rules in the document (to be fair I'm not reading all 650 odd pages). I can only conclude given what we've seen at Watford and Hull that the 4 players limit only applies to domestic loans.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would tend to hold fire on Abraham until we have filled our left back position x 2. Not that Tomori can play left back at the moment.

Currently overseas loans are regarded as full transfers, so not limited.
Overseas loan transfer do not count in the PL (in 2013): http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22800755

Comment: all players are really just on loan: the length of the contract is all that matters.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
I would tend to hold fire on Abraham until we have filled our left back position x 2. Not that Tomori can play left back at the moment.

Currently overseas loans are regarded as full transfers, so not limited.
Overseas loan transfer do not count in the PL (in 2013): http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22800755

So it appears that loophole was only closed by the EFL and not the PL.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
So it appears that loophole was only closed by the EFL and not the PL.

Yep. I had inklings of this before and did not know of the PL restrictions between clubs in the PL. That was, of course, because we were in the Championship and I was not paying attention to what was going on in the PL.

There was an ex-player discussion on Radio 5 why youngsters choose to join the most prestigious clubs when there was not much chance of getting into the first team at aged say 19. The players thought it was to do with ambition and pay and how they were looked after: the big dream. After being head hunted.

This does not entirely explain Lookman, Oliver Burke etc with Forest and Charlton having second class academies.And Burnley discovering players that could have joined the Manchester academies.

The 25 man PL squad is meant to encourage youngsters coming through to the first team. The downside is if an older player is injury prone there is a strong disincentive of keeping him in the squad of he is going to miss lots of games.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Get him in. 23 goals for City, not part of 25, what's not to like?

We might be looking for a better player? Or one more suited to our needs? Or looking for a player with view to a permanent transfer at a fair price?

Kasey Palmer? Izzy Brown? Nathan Aké (22)? There is nothing about Tammy Abraham that has made me say Wow! or very good. I saw something in Lookman, Oliver Burke and even Sam Baldock on too infrequent occasions.

Running into the right positions from Tammy Abraham will very much depend on the service he gets.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
We might be looking for a better player? Or one more suited to our needs? Or looking for a player with view to a permanent transfer at a fair price?

Indeed, but my instinct is TA would succeed with us. Also, a loan does not preclude a signing both because TA would not be part of 25 and, by definition, no transfer fee. We only have Muzza and Hemed as out and out strikers with two number 10s. There are doubts that Hemed will step up and Muzza is 34 (albeit has remarkable energy) , so two strikers, one of whom is a teenager, would be quite reasonable IMO.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Er, distance. 1 hour from Cobham, that must be a factor, especially if he got injured and Chelsea wanted to check him out.

I assumed that was what you were going to say. I don't think Chelsea will give a flying fig how far away he is as the priority will be that he gets game time and is playing in the right sort of system to develop him.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Kasey Palmer? Izzy Brown? Nathan Aké (22)? There is nothing about Tammy Abraham that has made me say Wow! or very good. I saw something in Lookman, Oliver Burke and even Sam Baldock on too infrequent occasions.

Running into the right positions from Tammy Abraham will very much depend on the service he gets.

Right then.....

So Lookman scored about 9-10 goals in a championship season for Charlton and Abraham scored 23 in one season for Bristol City but you've seen 'nothing' in him....

Nurse, the medication please.

theboybilly

Right then.....

So Lookman scored about 9-10 goals in a championship season for Charlton and Abraham scored 23 in one season for Bristol City but you've seen 'nothing' in him....

Nurse, the medication please.

Indeed, and likely an opinion formed on that one game at the Amex when he was excellent for the first 45 minutes. Lookman was anonimous in our two visits to The Valley since then as I recall.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Abraham has shown more at 19 than someone like Harry Kane did when he was out on loan. Did anyone predict his rise to the top of the Premier League scoring charts when he was on loan at Millwall or Leicester? I'm not saying Abraham will develop in the same way but he's got enough about him to take the risk. He won't count towards the 25 man squad but gives us a different option, he's bloody tall and if he can fill out his frame with a bit of muscle he could be a real handful for defenders. He also has that goal scorers instinct of seeming to be in the right place at the time for those rebounds and knock downs.

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
Abraham has shown more at 19 than someone like Harry Kane did when he was out on loan. Did anyone predict his rise to the top of the Premier League scoring charts when he was on loan at Millwall or Leicester? I'm not saying Abraham will develop in the same way but he's got enough about him to take the risk. He won't count towards the 25 man squad but gives us a different option, he's bloody tall and if he can fill out his frame with a bit of muscle he could be a real handful for defenders. He also has that goal scorers instinct of seeming to be in the right place at the time for those rebounds and knock downs.

This...

Get him in.. Simple

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here