Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Scally, Gillingham's BHA saviour

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Bellotti's fault for an ineptly thought-out contract, but Scally was unnecessarily insistent, long before we'd moved in, that we would pay the £300,000 even if we didn't stay for two years.

An unsympathetic landlord, even by landlord standards.

Possibly due to the fact he had earmarked the money to redevelop the ground, which he finally did, without planning permission. even after being told by the council to take it down he somehow wiggled his way out of that.

One of the reasons I look on him in the same contempt as Bellotti & Archer. Both screwed our club to fund their respective development Plans.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nope not buying it. They screwed us for as much cash as they could get at the time, had they not made their offer to take us what would have happened? My own view is we would have either found a better suited ground share or would have stayed at the Goldstone for a little longer. To suggest he saved us is complete nonsense.

That said as an aside I still cannot believe Crawley Council refused to let us use the Broadfield. Short sighted nonsense.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I understood a certain Mr Bellotti was claiming credit for the getting of the ground share forgetting to mention he was also financial director of gillingham

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Graham Kelly was furious that he gave Archer and Bellotti a get out of jail
Card.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy for Kelly to be "furious" but I don't remember any great plans from him if we didn't have a ground to share.

As I saw it - and know no different now - the Gillingham groundshare was a shitty idea, offered to us from an opportunistic businessman who realised it was Hobsons Choice. It was literally the only solution on the table, and without one we were gone. In a way, I guess he can interpret that as saving us from a worst fate, but I don't consider him a saviour because I don't believe his motives were about saving us, they were opportunistic, and enabled him to profit from the situation.

As the boat goes down in the ocean, if someone offers to sell you a battered old lifejacket for £100k are they your saviour? Passing the jacket on doesn't harm them, and may not save you, but if gives you a better chance than without it, as there appears to be no other possible route out.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gillingham, in addition to being close to relegation to League 2, are potentially about to be struck off at Companies House. I'm sure it won't come to that, but perhaps Mr Scally should be focussing more on that rather than attending Selhurst claiming to be the Albion's saviour?

Gillingham struck off companies house.JPG

Scally also has an interesting history in relation to his managers, as seen by the court case with loveable baseball cap wearer Tony Pulis.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/apr/27/newsstory.sport1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/apr/28/newsstory.sport7

I'm also aware of other allegations that Pulis is alleged to have made in relation to members of Paul Scally's family, but won't publish them in such a respectable organ as NSC.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Paul scally is rewriting history here.

After being sacked by knight, scally employed bellotti initially as a consultant at Gillingham.

Archer and bellotti both attended scally's wedding early in our groundshare period.

Scally deliberately went against fa and football league advice to not arrange a groundshare with brighton under the old board which was part of a strategy to try and force archers hand. He probably elongated the pain for us supporters

And that's before fiddling the gates at priestfield and therefore denying us ticket income when we were there.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I remember Scally calling me out the blue one day when I was at work, very bizarre. Simply to argue that he was trying to help the club. One of the oddest phone calls ever.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Also when Knight tried to arrange groundshares with Millwall and Woking, Scally was not shifting on the agreement we had with him.

Even though as was made clear the other two options would have been much easier for fans to get to.

I'm glad someone else has said this. I was sure we arranged a cheaper, more convenient groundshare with Millwall but he refused to let us back out of our agreement.

So, to sum up this saviour arranged a groundshare when the F.A told all clubs to not talk to the Albion until arbitration was over, wouldn't let us take the cheaper and much better option of Millwall, forced us to pay a third year even though we didn't use it, employed Bellotti and invited both Archer and Bellotti to his wedding.l

If the above is true, he really is a grade A ****.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, in Summary:

The **** that is Paul Scally tries to convince one fan that he was our saviour, and we end up with a thread reminding hundreds of people what a **** he is.

That's gone well then.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I imagine Bellotti, Archer, Stanley thought the club would fold once it went to Gillingham due to lack of interest and paying Scally a few 100k was a small price to pay to offload the irritating little football club getting in the way of their asset strip.

Scally suggesting he saved us is laughable.

The ONLY good thing about Gillingham as a football club was that I could park right outside the ground most games. As an aside anyone remember that multi coloured VW Golf that was always there?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
As self-deluded twaddle goes, it is up there with 'If Archer hadn't done what he did, we wouldn't be at Falmer now...'.

Yes, Scally's actions ultimately gave us a liferaft - but it was the shitty one with holes in the side and no oar. No philanthropy from Scally here, just self-interest.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Once we were back at Withdean, a Director of Albion's new Board informed me that Scally was, words to the effect, a thoroughly umpleasant :tosser: . Scally exploited a situation when the Albion was in its knees.

Karma - look at divergent paths of the two clubs.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So, in Summary:

The **** that is Paul Scally tries to convince one fan that he was our saviour, and we end up with a thread reminding hundreds of people what a **** he is.

That's gone well then.

Indeed. I didn't even know some of this stuff before reading the thread. I now hold him in even lower regard. The ****.

Last edited:

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Paul Scally is a horrible little ****. That's all, no more need to try and defend him or believe any stories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here