Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I went Bronze, like I have for the last 3 or 4 seasons or so. Only option myself and some others will have. I don't expect to be able to get tickets for the 'Category A' away games, but it'll give me a chance to attend some others.
Me too. Have been Bronze since they started it. Circumstances mean a ST isn't an option, although have been to most home games this season (and as long as I can remember). I first started going in 1972, so 45th year of seeing them play. It's been a hell of a ride to get to this point...

[FWIW I just don't get the animosity toward people saying 'Premiership', particularly as we've been so used to saying 'Championship'. Seems to trip off the tongue a little easier than Premier League...]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think this needs to go on the Bellcheese thread too with regular updates on his attempts to purchase tickets and his state of mind.

Indeed. I think the bellcheesery levels could spike significantly come June 14th when the fixtures come out.

"How early do you think I should apply for the Chelsea game ? I want to be near the front, by the dugouts"

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've had long running "banter" with my Chelsea supporting father-in-law.

"You'll come straight back down though"
"Maybe, maybe not"
"No, trust me, you will. Anyway, can't wait to see the Chelsea game at the AMEX"

He's conveniently forgetting two things:

1) He won't be able to get a ticket
2) No way in f**k would I go to a football match with him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Its really annoying isn't it.

I've had a Man City fan asking me for tickets for the game next week. He lives in Surrey.
An Arsenal fan saying that they are looking forward to the trip to the AMEX, to be fair he does actually go to their games home and away.
And a Liverpool game who says he hasn't missed a Liverpool game for 3 seasons but has never been to Anfield. Watches them all on the telly at home. Says Liverpool will spank us and if we somehow beat them it will only be because they were resting players.

Tossers all of them.

Marmaduke

SE London Seagull
Apr 28, 2010
SE London
The banter has already begun in my office.

Next season there will be fans from Tottenham, Chelsea, Southampton and unfortunately Palace (my line manager) :ffsparr:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

Seems to be a mix of smug prickery and happy to see a new face from those I've spoken to.

The divide appears to be; 'Big' club = smug, other clubs = welcome to the party (Palace likely excluded from that).

Not quite for me - got one Arsenal STH and one Spurs STH (both 'man and boy' avid supporters) in the team at work, both think we deserve it, they are looking forward to the awayday and think we'll do ok. Our tv coverage has been so extensive quite a few 'proper' football watchers have seen a lot of us - these two at least think we're not far off being on par with the lower table teams already.

Ticket nonsense has started though. Multiple requests already from Sussex 'big club' plastics for 'when we visit'......first question I ask is how many matches have they been to this season.it's usually 'none but I've always been a supporter'.

Last edited:

SAC

May 21, 2014
They are only trying to have a laugh, some people need thicker skins.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Funny thing. I'm getting it from the Boro fans and they are the ones going down. I guess they must feel that way or that makes their side look even sadder.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
From my limited sample pool it has been Liverpool and (weirdly) Southampton fans acting the bellcheesiest - "You're mixing with the big boys now", "Nice easy 6 points for us, anyway" etc.

The armchair Tottenham and Arsenal fans have been fine.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The worst are the 17 Championship sides' supporters who have been in the Premiership. Cardiff, QPR, Leeds, Wolves fans have told me what we have to do to stay up. If they knew they would still be in the PL, ****s!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Working in London, I'm surrounded by Arsenal/Spurs\Chelsea and the odd Man U of course. They've all, seeing me disappear for games midweek, and hearing me talk about the club, been aware of what's been going on and are happy for me. I was even given a bottle of bubbly on the Tuesday after the Wigan game!

For my part, I don't mind the newbies or returners who buy season tickets. Their money is as good as anybody else's to the club. But there's one thing that they, and all the plastics, will never know. They'll never know what it means to have been there for the whole thing. What felt like an inexorable decline from about 1991, the mess of the 90s generally, seeing us lose the Goldstone and the club's soul, half time on the terrace at Hereford, putting up with Gillingham, fighting for the club's very existence. Then Withdean, then this. Everybody who was there for all of that had a feeling last Monday that the JCLs simply can't appreciate. I'm not saying we're better fans or anything, but part of me feels that those supporters have in all seriousness missed out on something that binds just a few thousand people in a feeling that can't be bought, can't be polished or sold by Sky, can't really adequately be explained. (I can't, anyway.) I almost feel a bit sorry for them, missing out on what that felt like.

I'm sure most of them won't give a damn, and will have enjoyed promotion hugely. Fair play - who wouldn't? But for a few thousand, it was just a bit more special than they'll ever realise, I think.

Bloody great post :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Indeed. I think the bellcheesery levels could spike significantly come June 14th when the fixtures come out.

"How early do you think I should apply for the Chelsea game ? I want to be near the front, by the dugouts"

How about "tickets go on sale on Christmas Day. You'll need to be in the queue at the ticket office by 3am. No not the one at the stadium, the one at the training ground. Yes, that's right, the new academy in Eastbourne.."

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Can't wait for the inevitable letters in the Argus when Mums complain they cannot get their son a ticket for the Arsenal home game.

Also remember everyone those Arsenal fans that do come to the Amex will be top bracket away supporters so don't call them plastic

Very true. My brother has been a STH at Arsenal for about 30 years and he was the first person to call and congratulate me when we got promoted. He didn't need to ask for a ticket because he knows he will have no problem getting one.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

just been asked the opening times of the 'Brighton Shop' .... somebody said I would know and they want to get 'so and so' a football shirt.

First time this person has ever spoken to me, didn't even say isn't it 'great' 'exciting' 'wonderful' ... nothing

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's infuriating. I run a pub in High Wycombe and the bar is full of Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea 'supporters'. Not one of them has ever been to a game 'at home' in the last thirty years and I'm the only person in the place who ever does go to 'live' matches. (I've even been to Wycombe Wanderers on rare occasions, although that's not for the faint hearted). There's no answer that I can see, so I just smile and say 'we'll see next season, won't we' - after all, they do in the end pay my wages... I also had a pretty rough evening last week when Stockdale was going for his hat trick.
Which pub?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The real problem here is a sense of resentment, for all the lads and lasses that have done our time in leagues 1 & 2 Gillingham and to a certain extent Withers know this moment of time is very special almost a feeling of it was all worth it.

Now to get some pleb armchair Chelsea wannabe etc begging for tickets feels almost like an insult, if they want to see their team do the time like the rest of us and your have no problem getting a ticket in the away end. Until then they can **** off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can you have "banter" with armchair fans? Can't be arsed to even talk football once it becomes clear they only watch football on the box.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I had this 4 years ago when we drew Newcastle in the cup. A bloke & his son wanted our tickets, as they knew we'd let two other people go to a League game, earlier in the season, when we were away. It didn't figure, in his mind, that cup tickets are not part of season tickets. I politely said no, we have to buy our own, and the next time I saw him, had a big grin on my face, because we'd won 2-0.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here