Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I mentioned on another thread about the bloke where I work who's never once been to a game, but has just paid £25 for a Bronze membership for next season, under the assumption that this'll enable him to buy tickets to any game he fancies.

I must admit I took mild satisfaction in telling him "good luck getting a ticket then". And I liked the way his face fell as he realised that, at best, all he'd got was a small chance of perhaps getting to see Stoke.

Please don't tell me that. I try to get over for games around 4-5 times a year and took a bronze membership in the hope that it might allow me to tie in games with trips to the UK. I hope I'm not going to be too disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Please don't tell me that. I try to get over for games around 4-5 times a year and took a bronze membership in the hope that it might allow me to tie in games with trips to the UK. I hope I'm not going to be too disappointed.

As I understand it there are a reasonable number of tickets being held back for match by match sales (maybe 3000?). As a bronze member you will be first in line, along with all other bronze members, for these tickets. As long as you keep an eye on the on sale dates and times you should have a good chance of getting the tickets you want.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
As I understand it there are a reasonable number of tickets being held back for match by match sales (maybe 3000?). As a bronze member you will be first in line, along with all other bronze members, for these tickets. As long as you keep an eye on the on sale dates and times you should have a good chance of getting the tickets you want.

Thanks....

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Is this worse than those on my social media feeds who are celebrating 'our' fantastic promotion but who wouldn't support Brighton 20 years ago because they were 'rubbish' and going nowhere. Wankers!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
This exactly
I've noticed loads of folk on my fb cheering on the lads when even a month odd ago you'd never know who they "supported" rsoles

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Some people being a bit precious here. Throughout the last 20 years of under achievement, how many of us had a 2nd favourite premier league club to 'support'

I know I did.

When it looked like we were going to disappear I tried supporting Arsenal as my Granddad did. It just didn't work. If we had disappeared then who knows. I guess I would have had to support someone.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Most of my LFC family are dreading coming to the AMEX as they consider us to be a team that always gets results against them.
They seem to have a decent amount of respect for us as far as I can see.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Well there you go I didn't think that was a thing.........that said I also support two teams, Brighton (obviously) and anyone who is playing Crystal Palace.

I'm similar in that I have always supported Brighton, any team playing Palace and any team playing Man United (except when they play Palace).

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
This. It's just a matter of being organised... the club list the on-sale dates for the various categories, for each match, well in advance. Occasionally the dates will change but normally give good notice of this. I've been a bronze member since they introduced it and have yet to miss out. Yes, you might find you are in a different seat/location each time depending on availability but this can be great, seeing the matches from different vantage points. Every part of the ground has its own advantages - close up, far away, etc..

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Can someone help me settle an argument with my Palace mate, who said that our club shop was selling brighton / arsenal half scarfs when we played then in the Fa cup, is that correct as do not recall that !

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I do get a little frustrated lumping all prem fans in the one ‘Plastics’ basket. Not all prem fans are plastic. Although i do agree most are but this is the nature of the beast when you have a club in the top league. I find Man U fans are the absolute worst. I have a mate who is constantly covered head to toe in man u tracksuits and shirts and yet has never gone to watch them (he was born in Lewisham). Yet if you argue with him about footy he would gladly start a fight over this team he's never seen. I just don't get it :shrug:

My mum and dad took me to almost every spurs home game from the age of 10. My family is from London. I still go to most home games and a handful of away games. I would hardly call spurs a glory team although to most on here in relation to the hard times Brighton have endured over the last 20 years it maybe be classed so.

Yes i do like Brighton. Why can't i? I don't support them but i bet i have been to more Withdean games over the years than most. Even went to the play off finals and many away games. My uncle and some friends are season ticket holders and invite me to games. I enjoy football and i am over the moon for Brighton. I even bought a 'We want Falmer' CD :) I can like other teams just like I hate other teams more than others.

You will find with the more success Brighton has, the more you will start seeing fans that don’t have a clue about who Brighton are playing or what the result was. I’ve started to see it with Spurs over the last few years.

I don’t get the whole having to support a team. You either love footy, you goto watch the team and enjoy it or you just don’t support anyone. Too many people like to just say they support a team and it’s all about who is top, or who is winning the most. It is a very shallow miserable way to support a team. Just feel sorry for them that these people are missing out on so much.

I bet i get a load of abuse now... Why are you on a Brighton site... etc

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don’t get the whole having to support a team. You either love footy, you goto watch the team and enjoy it or you just don’t support anyone. Too many people like to just say they support a team and it’s all about who is top, or who is winning the most. It is a very shallow miserable way to support a team. Just feel sorry for them that these people are missing out on so much.

You've perfectly summed up plastics (imo) with this paragraph. People who often aren't even that into football, but love the inane shit workplace "banter".

I don't think anyone here is calling all Prem fans plastics at all. But someone born and bred in Worthing, never been to a United game in his life, nor have any other family connection to the club, lording it up in the local pub during Super Sunday cos "our lot" beat "their lot", is embarrassing.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I don't think anyone here is calling all Prem fans plastics at all. But someone born and bred in Worthing, never been to a United game in his life, nor have any other family connection to the club, lording it up in the local pub during Super Sunday cos "our lot" beat "their lot", is embarrassing.

Agree... It sums them up more as a person to be fair... a Tw@t ...

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
That raises an interesting question. What is the correct Premier League etiquette for showing one's displeasure at away supporters in the home sections.

Depending on where in the ground and who they are obviously....

1 Withering stare possibly combined with a roll of the eyes or a *tut* :rolleyes:

2 Tell them to sit down/shut the f up. :censored:

3 Old school nawty (eg Goldstone BHA v Pompey) :catfight:

4 Ignore them and let stewards deal with any serious issues ???

5 Engage them in friendly banter all part of the modern matchday Prem experience :sick:

6 Other :shrug:

2 if necessary, 5 otherwise. Also option 6 if this scenario transpires:

Some bloke in the home end at Withdean, when Norwich needed a win for promotion. Subtle Norfolk accent yet still obvious given the situation. Not causing any trouble at all, quiet as you like EXCEPT - Kaz gets on the ball. Norfolk tones emanate from said individual saying "Goe oan Kaaz, lad" and other such encouragement. Completely antagonising particularly as we'd gone a goal done. Idiot thought he was a clever as you like secret agent. In such an instance a sound outing and mocking is perhaps encouraged.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
mate who was supposedly MU always used to say I should support a real team, this the man when MU won the treble on the European night the morning after when I rung him and said MU done well then .............................did'nt even know they were playing
NOW THAT IS PLASTIC

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They miss out on what we like, but not everyone likes the same things and they probably have other things in their lives.

To be honest, if someone likes to just watch footy on the tv and likes seeing a particular top team do well, so what? Where's the harm? What if you like American Football, are you not allowed to cheer on a team each year, and share their failure and success?

I bet i get a load of abuse now... Why are you on a Brighton site... etc
Presumably you like to see a team that wins a title every now and then :shrug:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
One of my sons at college is often met with the comment...." So what division are Brighton in, then? "

Sadly, coming home from the game the other night we walked past a group of 16 year olds who, noting my son's top, asked the score.

When he replied that we'd lost, one of them muttered "looks like you'll be staying in the championship then."

I shrugged in despair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here