Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Working in London, I'm surrounded by Arsenal/Spurs\Chelsea and the odd Man U of course. They've all, seeing me disappear for games midweek, and hearing me talk about the club, been aware of what's been going on and are happy for me. I was even given a bottle of bubbly on the Tuesday after the Wigan game!

For my part, I don't mind the newbies or returners who buy season tickets. Their money is as good as anybody else's to the club. But there's one thing that they, and all the plastics, will never know. They'll never know what it means to have been there for the whole thing. What felt like an inexorable decline from about 1991, the mess of the 90s generally, seeing us lose the Goldstone and the club's soul, half time on the terrace at Hereford, putting up with Gillingham, fighting for the club's very existence. Then Withdean, then this. Everybody who was there for all of that had a feeling last Monday that the JCLs simply can't appreciate. I'm not saying we're better fans or anything, but part of me feels that those supporters have in all seriousness missed out on something that binds just a few thousand people in a feeling that can't be bought, can't be polished or sold by Sky, can't really adequately be explained. (I can't, anyway.) I almost feel a bit sorry for them, missing out on what that felt like.

I'm sure most of them won't give a damn, and will have enjoyed promotion hugely. Fair play - who wouldn't? But for a few thousand, it was just a bit more special than they'll ever realise, I think.

Spot on.

So, it begins...

At a social event last night and a fella I know relatively well (but not exactly best mates) sidles over with a smug grin and says "two easy wins for us next season then eh?"

He has never spoken about football to me before, and I eventually figure out that he is a Man United fan (of course he is, the thick sussex accent gives it away).

It further transpires that he has never seen United play live, nor knew where they were in the table, yet was "well up for popping along when United play at the Amex, to watch us thrash your lot".

Have you experienced this sort of prickery yet? You probably will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I was talking about the Wigan game and promotion in the pub when a Chelsea "fan" started laughing and asked why I referred to the Albion as "we" and "us",
"I didn't realise you played for them", he said with a smirk.
I couldn't be bothered to explain and just walked away happy in the knowledge that he would never feel the way I did when we finally made it to the promised land. Almost felt sorry for him.

People keep saying to me 'congratulations! YOU did it!' Feels like I single-footedly got BHA promoted even though I've never played football in my life :lolol:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
When I'm Prime Minister it will be the LAW that you can only support the team nearest to where you were born or grew up.

There'll be random spot checks, inspection of documents and inquisitions outside Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge etc and people found to be breaking the law will be forced to buy a season ticket for the club they should be supporting.

(Unless they're originally from Croydon in which case they'll be allowed in).
So will everyone who grew up in Brighton now have to be Whitehawk fans? Or will that only apply to people in the East of the city and those born during the Priestfield Years?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
These Brighton fans are our own plastics. When walking back through town in my stripes after a game I am often asked how "we" got on and who "we"were playing?

I always answer with imaginary opposition and the incorrect score. Then hope they have related this fictional outcome to someone who takes the p out of them for being so hopelessly wrong.

I thought I was the only one who did that. Excellent work.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
So will everyone who grew up in Brighton now have to be Whitehawk fans? Or will that only apply to people in the East of the city and those born during the Priestfield Years?

This doesn't apply to non-league teams. Did you not read the White Paper in which this legislation was set out?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I live in Essex now, my Grandchildren were born here.
However, they have been correctly indoctrinated into The Albion.

Are you telling me they have to support Colchester United now?

My little grandson will hopefully take an interest in football, and will be educated in the history of The Albion. He will be encouraged by me to support his local Melbourne sports teams first and foremost. If he takes an interest in English football then I hope his chosen team will be the same as mine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here