Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kevin Stewart of Liverpool

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It would appear NSC appreciation of the transfer market is out of context.

Hardly surprising though is it. The last few years have been quite a shock to the system having not seemed too far removed from literally having whip-rounds to buy a player (remember the £50 not fund), it then came as quite a shock to be breaking our transfer record. Just as I sort of got used to us having multiple £m signings in the same side, we get to the Premier League where the money goes ballistic.

From the delights of being given money by Cola-Cola to actually BUY a player, we are now in a World there £10m is a bench player or ressie for most teams. It is hard to get your head around sometimes.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
From what i've seen of him i've always thought he was the kind of player who slows play down considerably, a little like Bridcutt- a midfield player who is efficient and neat but not particularly dynamic and thrusting. Really not the sort of player I'd think would suit our more counter-atacking, thrusting style. We should be looking at players with a bit more breadth in terms of style of player and energy on the field. Plenty of box-to-box midfielders about who will offer more, i'm sure. Why spend £10million on someone a bit meh when we could spend double that on someone who will have much more of an overall impact? I feel certain that we have to be signing players who will dramatically improve the team, and i'm not sure anyone who has seen Stewart would think he'd offer anything more than what we currently have....

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
In view of Tony Bloom's comments about taking time in strengthening the squad, I doubt if we would be rushing into paying £10m for someone with limited first team experience.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hardly surprising though is it. The last few years have been quite a shock to the system having not seemed too far removed from literally having whip-rounds to buy a player (remember the £50 not fund), it then came as quite a shock to be breaking our transfer record. Just as I sort of got used to us having multiple £m signings in the same side, we get to the Premier League where the money goes ballistic.

From the delights of being given money by Cola-Cola to actually BUY a player, we are now in a World there £10m is a bench player or ressie for most teams. It is hard to get your head around sometimes.
It's not as if football has paused waiting for us to catch up.
I love the fact the team has got this far with it's record signing being a centre half.

Just because someone :wink: has put £10m on this lad and linked him to us (double :wink: ) it all means nothing.

Although the nature of the beast means at some point a team will overpay for him.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
From what i've seen of him i've always thought he was the kind of player who slows play down considerably, a little like Bridcutt- a midfield player who is efficient and neat but not particularly dynamic and thrusting. Really not the sort of player I'd think would suit our more counter-atacking, thrusting style. We should be looking at players with a bit more breadth in terms of style of player and energy on the field. Plenty of box-to-box midfielders about who will offer more, i'm sure. Why spend £10million on someone a bit meh when we could spend double that on someone who will have much more of an overall impact? I feel certain that we have to be signing players who will dramatically improve the team, and i'm not sure anyone who has seen Stewart would think he'd offer anything more than what we currently have....

I understand some of your points. However, even if we want to try and survive the first season we will need a stopper/thinker as a DM as our free flowing football might not be enough

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It's not as if football has paused waiting for us to catch up.
I love the fact the team has got this far with it's record signing being a centre half.

Just because someone :wink: has put £10m on this lad and linked him to us (double :wink: ) it all means nothing.

Although the nature of the beast means at some point a team will overpay for him.

Seems odd we are linked with Liverpool's least experienced DM, for £10m, when thier most experienced is available for free in July.

Maybe the papers got wind of a rumour, just got the wrong player?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I understand some of your points. However, even if we want to try and survive the first season we will need a stopper/thinker as a DM as our free flowing football might not be enough ��

Not in a two man midfield, no (esp. when we have a defensive nine, and Baldock deserves a chance). We have no reason not to play our natural game. If we choose to play with three in certain games i'm not sure Stewart would offer more than Sidwell (who will be fired up and has huge experience) and I also feel that Norwood would thrive in the Prem in that formation. But, i've hardly seen the guy play. I just think we have a great squad and every signing should be an improvement.

Imbulla (Stoke £18million), Ndidi (Leicester £17million), Kouyate and Obiang (West Ham, less than the aforementioned), Clasie (Southampton £8million), Livermore (West Brom £10million) are some examples of players who would clearly offer more.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I NEED A NEW RUMOUR.

Bored with this one now.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I've a feeling you are going to be very disappointed. Please don't expect us to be making any dynamic new signings. Tony Bloom has already intimated as much. One or two players with plenty of Premier League experience maybe, plus one or two exciting prospects for the future. Not a lot more I don't think.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I NEED A NEW RUMOUR.

Bored with this one now.

I think a thread on just how much we are going to spend on one player is needed. I cannot get my head around the Albion spending 10 million on a player and who knows we could go up to 25 million ( for the right striker)?? Or not. This is the Albion FFS I would be happy with three million, although we'd probably end up getting relegated as that would only buy a lower Championship player ( i am thinking forwards here)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've a feeling you are going to be very disappointed. Please don't expect us to be making any dynamic new signings. Tony Bloom has already intimated as much. One or two players with plenty of Premier League experience maybe, plus one or two exciting prospects for the future. Not a lot more I don't think.

Hmm that should see us challenging Derby for the lowest ever Premier League points.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think a thread on just how much we are going to spend on one player is needed.
Either that or more giant rabbits!

I cannot get my head around the Albion spending 10 million on a player and who knows we could go up to 25 million ( for the right striker)?? Or not. This is the Albion FFS I would be happy with three million, although we'd probably end up getting relegated as that would only buy a lower Championship player ( i am thinking forwards here)

I predict our transfer record will be in jeopardy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here