Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kevin Stewart of Liverpool

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes and no. Anyone could play in the Premier League, including you, me and the milkman. But we'd be about as woefully exposed as the entire Derby team which managed to get smashed every week and collect the fewest points in history so far. Theirs was a pathetic team, and even they wouldn't have been interested in the Kevin Stewart of the time.

And don't call me Shirley.
There's a massive gulf in class (but not money) in playing for a top 4 place and 4th from bottom.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
He sounds like a 2-3 million pound player. I get the feeling Klopp is a bit of a greedy kid who doesn't like sharing. I think he said this season that he didn't want any players going out on loan as they would learn more in the under 23s but I could be wrong.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
There's a massive gulf in class (but not money) in playing for a top 4 place and 4th from bottom.

Kevin Stewart wouldn't be playing in the Sunderland team. It doesn't get more bottom 4 than them, and even they wouldn't want him.

In summary, it's a no from me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Remember though, that £10m seems to be a figure that Jurgen Klopp has just drawn out of the air. It doesn't mean that he won't be sold for less.

In much the same way that people pluck a price of a car off of Auto trader which is in mint condition and expect the same for their battered offering. The price it actually sells for is in no way similar.

Klopp is probably valuing him based on Henderson and Lallana.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Why? Is he AM or DM if he is the AM that we need we would still need cover for DM which would be either Sidwell or Norwood that is assuming they offer Sidwell another contract. If the £ are right we could have both but £10m seems a lot for a 24 year old not proven at that level.

He is a defensive midfielder who can also play in defence. £10m is the going rate for a young English player these days. Not saying that is right or even that he is worth that kind of fee - but that is the reality of football in 2017. Take Pritchard for example - we were ready to pay a rumoured £9 million for him and he is not proven at Prem level.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He is a defensive midfielder who can also play in defence. £10m is the going rate for a young English player these days. Not saying that is right or even that he is worth that kind of fee - but that is the reality of football in 2017. Take Pritchard for example - we were ready to pay a rumoured £9 million for him and he is not proven at Prem level.

Fair point re Pritchard Frankie.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Rubbish analysis. If Klopp was a fan, he'd be in the team. He isn't. We won't sign Kevin Stewart, we'll sign players capable of playing in the Premier League.

Calm down kitten. I never said we WOULD sign him. I said in my opinion he would be a good signing. If you don't agree fair enough that is your opinion.

Klopp has praised him in the media a few times, so he is a fan. He isn't starting at Liverpool because he has some serious players ahead of him in the pecking order (Lallana, Henderson, Lucas, Wijnaldum).

Either way I'm treating the whole thing as speculation. Until I see a player holding the shirt shaking hands with Hughton or Bloom it is all conjecture to me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Calm down kitten. I never said we WOULD sign him. I said in my opinion he would be a good signing. If you don't agree fair enough that is your opinion.

Klopp has praised him in the media a few times, so he is a fan. He isn't starting at Liverpool because he has some serious players ahead of him in the pecking order (Lallana, Henderson, Lucas, Wijnaldum).

Either way I'm treating the whole thing as speculation. Until I see a player holding the shirt shaking hands with Hughton or Bloom it is all conjecture to me.

I think £10m would be a HUGE punt to take on such an unproven player. Sure, if he came here he *might* turn out to be a good signing, but if he actually arrived carrying that kind of price tag then we'd all be expecting something pretty special. He'd have a lot to live up to, which would bring its own kind of pressure.

Given how green he is, even half of that fee would have me shifting uncomfortably. I realise we're in the Premier League now, which will mean lots of inflated prices. But £10m would be a very wild punt indeed. Just because money is no object at Bournemouth, and they got royally mugged off with that £15m they splurged on Ibe, it doesn't mean that particular transaction (which was ridiculous) sets a proper market value for this type of player.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

The difference bejng that we needed an AM and that was the rate but we have cover as DM so need not pay such a fee. Liverpool have struggled defensively and if he was any good he would have been given his chance before being injured I would have thought.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Young? - Check
Injured? - Check
Not many appearances? - Check
English? - Check
Exorbitant price tag? - Check

#standard

Only one problem, the price tag isn't exorbitant.
Obviously it is to the rest of us, in the real world, but it's not in the world of young English footballers currently at an established Premier League side.

It's almost as if there was a reason behind building the best possible training facility.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think £10m would be a HUGE punt to take on such an unproven player. Sure, if he came here he *might* turn out to be a good signing, but if he actually arrived carrying that kind of price tag then we'd all be expecting something pretty special. He'd have a lot to live up to, which would bring its own kind of pressure.

Given how green he is, even half of that fee would have me shifting uncomfortably. I realise we're in the Premier League now, which will mean lots of inflated prices. But £10m would be a very wild punt indeed. Just because money is no object at Bournemouth, and they got royally mugged off with that £15m they splurged on Ibe, it doesn't mean that particular transaction (which was ridiculous) sets a proper market value for this type of player.

All true but the bottom line is:-

If Stewart does come on the market a club will overpay.

Liverpool know that leaving only one question - 'by how much?'

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Probably a tad less, as none of them have proved themselves in PL yet.
As you've mentioned, it's the silly season :thumbsup:

Yes to a point, but Stephens and Kayal are battle-hardened top of the Championship players, and Kayal is a full international. If we're looking at Liverpool players go back for Tex. The Albion's the only place he's really fired.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This is just NOT a Hughton type of signing.... we need premier league experience in this position not a 23yr old who has hardly kicked a ball in anger, escpecially not at the money being quoted, even at 5 million i would be suprised.

Something far more obvious and line with what Hughton goes for would be Charlie Adam who is available on a free, 200 odd Prem appearances 31 years of age...wicked delivery from a set piece and great passer of the ball.

I would much rather that.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

Agree with all of that.

If I was in charge of transfers with the budget we expect to have, I would be looking at a healthy mixture of value for money signings from abroad (proven players from The Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A), experienced Premier League players reaching the end of their career or surplus to requirements at the elite clubs, and promising youngsters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here