Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex playing surface is in good nick following pitch invasion

Victor Chandler

Sep 2, 2014
Haywards Heath
Went on a guided behind the scenes tour of the Amex today and ended up on the pitch. The playing surface was in very good nick considering how many fans invaded the pitch on Easter Monday.

For those not yet been on the tour I can recommend it for the finale alone of walking through the tunnel out on to the pitch while Sussex by the Sea is played over the tannoy. It was a very emotional moment. The emotion possibly had something to do with it being 20 years (to the day) after the final game ever played at the Goldstone.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Didn't let me on the pitch when I went on the tour, is that a new thing?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Went on a guided behind the scenes tour of the Amex today and ended up on the pitch. The playing surface was in very good nick considering how many fans invaded the pitch on Easter Monday.

For those not yet been on the tour I can recommend it for the finale alone of walking through the tunnel out on to the pitch while Sussex by the Sea is played over the tannoy. It was a very emotional moment. The emotion possibly had something to do with it being 20 years (to the day) after the final game ever played at the Goldstone.

Bloody great isn't it, that is the tour, wasn't allowed on the pitch, due to being asked not to.
No real issues with that.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free

I can give you a retro tour of my Goldstone South Stand seat, West Stand seat and a blue paint-splattered brick from the East Terrace perimeter wall. Only £10. Ask me about tour date availability when you see me on Saturday.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I can give you a retro tour of my Goldstone South Stand seat, West Stand seat and a blue paint-splattered brick from the East Terrace perimeter wall. Only £10. Ask me about tour date availability when you see me on Saturday.

Do you still have the grass though? I think not, shame as you could have extended the the tour out to the garden and charged £15 to the hoardes

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Some twit had dropped a packet of biscuits in the north stand penalty area & that were being crushed into the grass. Some people..

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Some twit had dropped a packet of biscuits in the north stand penalty area & that were being crushed into the grass. Some people..

Thought we released Agustien?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I hope this doesn't translate into if the fans hadn't gone onto the pitch, the pitch would be in much better shape.

No, I think it's just a reminder that anybody who believed significant enough damage would be done to the pitch to affect a football match, are not very clever or utterly bonkers.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Incredible what products can be used now to keep football pitches immaculate at any time of the season and yet a few days at the Wimbledon tennis and the grass is nearly all gone.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Incredible what products can be used now to keep football pitches immaculate at any time of the season and yet a few days at the Wimbledon tennis and the grass is nearly all gone.

Isn't it to do with the mix of grass and artificial material that is used nowadays? Formerly, goal areas in particular were prone to losing grass. Wimbledon would doubtless never hear of such a thIng.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Do you still have the grass though? I think not, shame as you could have extended the the tour out to the garden and charged £15 to the hoardes

Sadly not. It succumbed to weeds so I sent it back to Bill Archer.

You're right, I missed a trick as the pitch is where the money is. Maybe if I grab a bit of AFC Wimbledon's pitch I could pass it off as Goldstone and develop the full retro tour.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was astonished at the quality of the pitch after we ran into the pitch. Considering it had just undergone 90 minutes of professional football, it was still like a carpet. Quite incredible.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The grass isn't gone. It's still there but just turns brown because the same patch is being trodden on almost constantly for about 7/8 hours a day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here