Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plastic supporters...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I went to the cinema the other day and the chap at the ticket desk asked me how many times I had been to the cinema this year, I replied just the once. He sneered at me and ushered me towards the plastic seats!

Merdalfthewizard

once more unto the breach
Dec 25, 2014
265 miles from home games
There's a bloke I work with who's never shown the slightest bit of interest in BHAFC. But last week, following our promotion to the PL, he proudly announced that like me "I'm also now a fellow member of Brighton and Hove Albion". He'd paid £25 for a bronze membership, and was looking forward to taking in some games next season.

He was a little taken aback when I said that tickets would be pretty scarce, but wished him luck getting hold of some. "Hang on...I've paid £25 to be a member, why won't I get a ticket ??" was his response. I explained that with 23,000 season tickets, 3,000 away fans and x number of players family / hospitality tickets, there won't be all that many left to go around. Especially as the club haven't capped the number of bronze memberships they were selling. I think he thought that paying £25 guaranteed him an option on a ticket.

Then he asked me how much I was paying for my season ticket, and when I told him, he asked if that also included all the away games.

I mean christ.

Damn, not guaranteed, and I've forked out for 2 memberships for the Missus and daughter!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can't wait for my half and half scarfs. In particular:

Brighton and Hove Albion v West Bromwich Albion

Coming in at 5m long, going to be one to look forward to.:thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can you read?
30 % extra fans when promoted?
We have room for about 3%?
Get it?

Exactly. In our case the stadium (home sections) was virtually a sell out anyway. Add the larger away contingent given to many PL clubs at the Amex, plus all the long standing Bronze Members being first in the queue for non ST tickets, which leaves barely a seat for more plastics.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I'm sorry but I just don't get this plastic fan crap. Anyone that pays to go and watch a match is a football fan. They are supporting the club financially by buying a ticket, be it the Albion or any other club. Does it mean that you are a "plastic fan" if you decide to watch a game as a neutral spectator - which I would imagine many of us have done?

A case in point, I went to watch Eastleigh play Alfreton Town a couple of seasons back (the Albion had played on the Friday night), and the only thing that was plastic that day were the chips.

So, going back to the essence of the thread, in my view the "plastic fan" is the sit-at-home armchair TV match viewer or the one down the pub spouting forth. They are the sort who have never been to a ground to watch a game, and their contribution to football is just one big, fat zero.

Agreed, your definition of a plastic fan is spot on. Also to look out for is when they refer to their chosen Premier side as "we", as in "we played well" or "we were unlucky", oh the irony !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Disagree.

We have a poor start and you will see poor crowds against the likes of stoke, Everton etc.

Disagree.

Our crowds still held up even under the utter DIRGE we were watching under Hyypia when we were at the arse end of the Championship. The Amex is going to be RAMMED week in, week out next season regardless of where we are in the table and who we are playing. This is a brand new adventure.

And personally, I'm wetting my knickers about seeing Everton. Its one of the few clubs I've never seen us play.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
How to spot a plastic fan, from very recent experience, probably replicated the length and breadth of Brighton in recent weeks:

December 2014 - disconsolate me gets home from game and trudges into local pub 90 minutes after full time. Man propping up the bar asks "how did they do? Oh, lost again, do you think they'll go down?"

March 2017 - merry me skips into local pub (a full) 90 minutes after full time. Same man asks "hey, how did we do?" I stare at him in surprise, and inform him that we won again, too polite to ask why the bloody hell he didn't know that already. "Great, we're doing really well, aren't we? We'll be up this year!!"

But that's ok, nice to see someone gradually seeing the light. Share the love.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Disagree.

Our crowds still held up even under the utter DIRGE we were watching under Hyypia when we were at the arse end of the Championship. The Amex is going to be RAMMED week in, week out next season regardless of where we are in the table and who we are playing. This is a brand new adventure.

And personally, I'm wetting my knickers about seeing Everton. Its one of the few clubs I've never seen us play.

With the ticket exchange also looking pretty effective for the back end of this season, can see there being very few empty seats from absent ST holders too next season. They'll be enough people regularly missing out to ensure the less attractive games are also sold out.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I can just imagine the bloke behind me in the chicken run, as I took in my first ever live game aged 8, snearing......plastic:glare:
I don't think there are any plastic fans, not the Goldstone, nor Priestfield or Withdean and certainly not now at The Amex. The only place they exist is on NSC

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can just imagine the bloke behind me in the chicken run, as I took in my first ever live game aged 8, snearing......plastic:glare:
I don't think there are any plastic fans, not the Goldstone, nor Priestfield or Withdean and certainly not now at The Amex. The only place they exist is on NSC

What about someone who has literally never been to a BHA game in his life, but within a week of us reaching the Premier League, has bought a membership card under the impression that for his £25 investment, he'll be able to get tickets to see us when Man Utd et-al rock up ?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
There should be a points guage introduced to measure your plasticness.

Were you at this game? Were you at that game? How many STs have you had? How many aways have you done....extra points for north of Watford?

Do you sing? Do you stand at home? How old were you for your first game? How many programmes/replica shirts do you own?

Sake.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
So the 10,000+ people who didn't go to the Withdean but went to Falmer aren't plastics?

Right, okay.
No because we had 30,000 on the database back then from people that brought tickets during the withdean years etc...Wouldn't get 20-30k in the withdean would we?
I'm sure we had many fans who did a few games a season etc back then :)
That's not a plastic fan though as they went to games while we were shite regardless of how many times they went.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
helpassist_icon.gif

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
This is my Facebook post after the Wigan game.........waited a long long time to be able to post it but after all the years and heartbreak finally got there......

" Well what can I say don't think it's sunk in yet...........honestly the second best day of my life after marrying the love of my life !
But I do have this one thought........

All the people I have met and had this conversation with............

Them " so what team do you support ? "
Me " Brighton and you ? "
Them " oh Liverpool / Chelsea / man Utd / arsenal etc etc but my second team is Brighton , always look out for their results "

ITS DECISION TIME !!!

And please never ask me if I have a spare ticket when the Albion are playing your first choice team !

Big love to all the people who have made my Albion supporting life so much better over the years.........."

" COME ON YOU SUPER SEAGULLS "

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Disagree.

Exactly. And let's not forget the lowest possible attendance is pegged by the number of season ticket holders, so the pretendance will always be close to 30K.

Anyway, this thread is completely stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here