Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Barton

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This won't seem particulary popular.....but I think the ban is too harsh.

I am delighted to see him banned and think he deserves it......

...... but having read his statement above, I think he makes some fair points about gambling as a whole. He ought to admit, though, how incredibly stupid he has been.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Should have been banned for the stamp on Kayal - although 18 months might had been a tad harsh granted.

Football is better off without the little scrote - and Burnley can go do one if they come back for our Dale to replace him!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
hqdefault (1).jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im not buying this "addiction" defense. he could have bet on horses, greyhounds, cricket, or any other events sporting or other, just as many other footballers with gambling problems have.

this line in his response tells all:
Throughout my career I am someone who has made mistakes and owned up to those mistakes and tried to learn from them.
utter garbage, he's been a disgrace to the sport that will blame anything and everything except himself for his behavior. he makes me angry because he has wasted talent and opportunity and now seeks to abuse the affliction of others to get himself out of another mess of his own making.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The gambling issue is agains the rules and he should be made an example of - 15,000 bets is a hell of a lot. But aside from that the guy is a total and utter kn0b and spent his entire footballing career trying to cheat and con others and for that, deserves everything he gets IMO.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I can't find myself disliking to be honest. He is so full of contradictions.

For every f### up he has made, he's made some remarkable statements for a professional footballer.

Does he deserve a ban ? Of course but he is quite unique as a footballer in his ability to create a debate about what is wrong even if he comes across as a hypocrite.

The "sophistication" of web based advertising these days means that the story today gets surrounded automatically by adverts for betting firms.

He does have a point - there has long been a problem with betting in football and the opportunity to bet has exploded.

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
im not buying this "addiction" defense. he could have bet on horses, greyhounds, cricket, or any other events sporting or other, just as many other footballers with gambling problems have.

this line in his response tells all:
utter garbage, he's been a disgrace to the sport that will blame anything and everything except himself for his behavior. he makes me angry because he has wasted talent and opportunity and now seeks to abuse the affliction of others to get himself out of another mess of his own making.

This. His statement about it being like an alcoholic spending time in a pub - if you are an alcoholic but have dealt with it and the reasons behind it, you can spend time in a pub without being tempted by alcohol.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
For those who say the punishment is too severe, he broke the football betting rules not once, not twice but over 1200 times, across a period of 10 years+. This despite knowing what he did was wrong and punishable if found out. It's as though he was sticking 2 fingers up to The FA just as though he was sticking 2 fingers up to the management team that, when they dropped him he subsequently backed his team to lose. As for saying that he provided medical evidence for his gambing addiction, perhaps he could show he is serious and volunteer to help educate those who are also seeking help to beat their addiction to gambling.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
He got the SHORTEST possible ban according to The FA as reported by the BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39738553

The Football Association says Joey Barton's 18-month suspension from all football activities was "the shortest possible" ban it could have imposed after he breached rules on gambling.

In the written reasons explaining Wednesday's decision, the FA revealed Barton placed 1,260 bets worth £205,172, at a loss of £16,708.

The 34-year-old Burnley midfielder has admitted he is addicted to gambling.

But the FA said a "dismissive attitude to the rules" was also a factor.

Click the link for more on this story.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
He got the SHORTEST possible ban according to The FA as reported by the BBC.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39738553

The Football Association says Joey Barton's 18-month suspension from all football activities was "the shortest possible" ban it could have imposed after he breached rules on gambling.

In the written reasons explaining Wednesday's decision, the FA revealed Barton placed 1,260 bets worth £205,172, at a loss of £16,708.

The 34-year-old Burnley midfielder has admitted he is addicted to gambling.

But the FA said a "dismissive attitude to the rules" was also a factor.

Click the link for more on this story.

6 months ban for betting on own team, he did it 15 times......should be 7.5 year ban, 6 months for each offence.

Given his issues with betting companies, I guess he won't be getting a job with Sky?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There's a very much defined difference between sportsman with character and Joey Barton. Sportsman have personalities... and character.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
New Land Rover BAR recruit Robbie Savage has arrived in Bermuda. First job recon on Artemis Racing done but next time take the lens cap off 🙈and don't get caught😬! BT Sport
savage.jpg Good grief.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Having read all 63 pages of the report, nowhere does it say why it took Betfair ten years to report Barton to the FA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here