Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle United (and West Ham) under investigation over transfers

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Be surprised if it's much more than a fine for the club. Sounds like Mondial sports agency is at the centre of it all. Chelsea have been visited by the HMRC too, which is good news for us. The more (and bigger) clubs involved, the more diluted the punishment will likely be.

This doesn't say they've been visited, but asked for info, which is different from being raided.

[tweet]857219975270080512[/tweet]

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'd hate to see a points penalty for either club because it hurts the fans more than anyone else. If found guilty it's the greedy individuals looking to cheat the system that should be punished severely and set an example of.

If the individuals are working for a club then it is only fair that the club is punished too. A points deduction is fair as it hits all clubs wherever they are in the table. A massive fine is manageable for clubs in the PL or with very wealthy owners but would bring most non PL clubs to their knees.

The individuals can then be banned from football as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd hate to see a points penalty for either club because it hurts the fans more than anyone else. If found guilty it's the greedy individuals looking to cheat the system that should be punished severely and set an example of.

Sorry, but that is nonsense - this idea that financial misdemeanors should never incur sporting sanctions, because they are 'different' things. They are not.

If a club has for example £1 million left in their wage budget to sign one more player, then they can afford a player on about £20k/week inclusive of tax, etc.

If they avoid paying tax / whatever, enabling them to sign a player who they can't properly afford, then they have improved their playing resources and earned additional points, that they ought not to have. You cannot separate the financial from the sporting.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Here's a convoluted scenario... the 6th placed team finishes on 78 points, Newcastle lose both their remaining games and finish on 88 points, and are then docked 10 points. They'd knock the other team out and finish 6th on virtue of a having a higher goal difference.

I'd be mightily pissed off if I was the team that missed out because of another team breaking the rules!
Er, no. The team in 6th would stay in 6th, Newcastle would drop from 2nd to 5th.

EDIT - I see this has been covered.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
No it's not and the only real punishment is points deduction if found guilty....Next season is next season and any punishment must be this season end of.

It would be quite a challenge to reach a "guilty" verdict between now and next Saturday, I should imagine. But you never know.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
No you can go til early June and swap Newcastle with the 3rd place side or if they win the playoffs then the playoff final losers :)

Whichever club that would be I'm sure would jump at the chance to swap places with them, but they'd be seriously handicapped by having their early pre-season preparations buggered about with. Perhaps Newcastle should be forced to compensate by loaning out 3 of their best players, of the other club's choosing, until at least the January transfer window ends, to allow them to find their feet.

This is all getting a bit fantastical, of course. Nothing will come from any of this.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Sorry, but that is nonsense - this idea that financial misdemeanors should never incur sporting sanctions, because they are 'different' things. They are not.

If a club has for example £1 million left in their wage budget to sign one more player, then they can afford a player on about £20k/week inclusive of tax, etc.

If they avoid paying tax / whatever, enabling them to sign a player who they can't properly afford, then they have improved their playing resources and earned additional points, that they ought not to have. You cannot separate the financial from the sporting.

You do love mis-representing comments don't you. Perhaps political life is for you :) I didn't said that financial misdemeanors should never incur sporting sanctions. What i was trying to say (albeit poorly apparently) was that depending on the facts of this case, they shouldn't deduct points if it is individuals who are lining their own pockets as opposed to a club purposefully seeking to gain from tax fraud. Nothing is proven yet, of course, so we'll have to see what happens.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

But if a club have a better playing squad then those fans have also benefited from the fraud of that club.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
You do love mis-representing comments don't you. Perhaps political life is for you :) I didn't said that financial misdemeanors should never incur sporting sanctions. What i was trying to say (albeit poorly apparently) was that depending on the facts of this case, they shouldn't deduct points if it is individuals who are lining their own pockets as opposed to a club purposefully seeking to gain from tax fraud. Nothing is proven yet, of course, so we'll have to see what happens.

That makes much more sense of your original post .

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Whichever club that would be I'm sure would jump at the chance to swap places with them, but they'd be seriously handicapped by having their early pre-season preparations buggered about with. Perhaps Newcastle should be forced to compensate by loaning out 3 of their best players, of the other club's choosing, until at least the January transfer window ends, to allow them to find their feet.

This is all getting a bit fantastical, of course. Nothing will come from any of this.
Yeah all far fetched and like you say will blow over :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here