Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Noooooooooo!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's just too ear piercingly loud in the WSU but then so is all the music.

It isnt in Lower West but in fairness to the club I have written to PB on this and they have checked it out and found it to be ok so going to the audiologist this afternoon o get hearing aids checked. As regards the singer I like her and will take my seat early to listen to her but I think GOSBTS is better when sung by a male either single duo or trio but then I do not like choirs so a quartet is the maximum but it is ruined when sung by a female. Just my opinion and not intended to be sexist in any way.

What time does she start?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Right, let's get some context here.

We are still continuing to commemorate the centenary of World War I. Sussex by the Sea was written by William Ward-Higgs as a military marching song, to be sung by soldiers on the march. Indeed, the cover of the original 1907 printed score confirms this.

SBTS was sung by soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment – on the march, in the trenches, and as they went over the top. It was the last piece of music that thousands of Sussex men will have heard in their brutally shortened lives.

Having SBTS screeched out by a single soprano, with her exaggerated and unwelcome vibrato, there to fulfil just another professional gig, is grotesquely inappropriate.

Sussex by the Sea is our own, unique anthem, and it needs to be belted out on Saturday with pride and with passion, by a huge crowd, of men, women and children, as a shared and fitting tribute to our team, to our lost soldiers and to our Sussex heritage.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Malta have rugby internationals!?

Beat Israel 39-17 on Saturday now ranked 42 in World!

Top of their division too.
table.PNG

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Right, let's get some context here.

We are still continuing to commemorate the centenary of World War I. Sussex by the Sea was written by William Ward-Higgs as a military marching song, to be sung by soldiers on the march. Indeed, the cover of the original 1907 printed score confirms this.

SBTS was sung by soldiers of the Royal Sussex Regiment – on the march, in the trenches, and as they went over the top. It was the last piece of music that thousands of Sussex men will have heard in their brutally shortened lives.

Having SBTS screeched out by a single soprano, with her exaggerated and unwelcome vibrato, there to fulfil just another professional gig, is grotesquely inappropriate.

Sussex by the Sea is our own, unique anthem, and it needs to be belted out on Saturday with pride and with passion, by a huge crowd, of men, women and children, as a shared and fitting tribute to our team, to our lost soldiers and to our Sussex heritage.

Hmm. I can understand people's disapproval on grounds of taste; if you don't like the sound of her murdering GOSBTS then fine; but to suggest it's grossly inappropriate is a stretch IMO. What exactly is inappropriate? That she's a soprano? Or that she's being paid to sing it? If so then do you have the same issue with military marching bands for hire as well?

Personally I think she's a screecher and am not a fan of her voice at all.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
All for a bit of culture at the Amex, for all those uneducated heatherns that congregate in the north stand :wink:
But I'll think it'll bring out all those chinless wonders from the 1901'latinum' club :wink:, who think, because they listen to Classic FM, they're an expert on such things opera.
Anyway, at the end of the day, if it gets people singing and rejoicing all things Albion, I'm up for anything different :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
She's brought tears to my eyes on a couple of occasions so quite happy if it is her although maybe this being a momentous enjoyable event something a little more celebratory is needed.

Say no more, say no more. A nod's as good as a wink to blind bat.:wink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Better good used to opera at the Amex, it's three tenors for away fans in the Premier League

(or two tenors when that Virgin Media / Football Supporters' Federation deal kicks in)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here