Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would the Championship Title Eclipse being FA Cup runners up?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We never really won a major trophy and never won the 2nd tier of English football.

Aside of the money of getting promotion into PL,would winning the league on Sat eclipse being runners up in 83?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Desperate to win this,as you say we never won it,would it eclipse an "genuine" back in the day FA Cup Final defeat in a Replay? Well to me yes,but i can see why it might not to some.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
For me it would. So glad I'm going after missing the Wigan game.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Winning on Saturday wouild make Albion Champions of an entire English Football League that's comprised of 72 clubs.

Becoming runners-up in a sudden-death knockout competition - even against Manchester United - in no way matches an achievement that's been built on nine long months of solid graft - and sustained brilliance.

el punal

Rewind to 1983 - the FA Cup Final still mattered, and was seen as THE showpiece football event of the season, maybe to some bigger than the European Cup. Being Division 2 Champions then would not have come close to the prestige of being an FA Cup finalist.

It's all different now. The FA Cup has now been massively devalued in all departments. The emphasis today is league position be it in the Premier League, with the aim of achieving a European qualification, or, in the Albion's case promotion to the Premier League with being Champions as the icing on the cake.

Back in 1983 we lost the cup replay and had nothing to show for it, apart from some wonderful memories and the dreaded spectre of relegation. This time we are joining the top table, literally, and with the distinct possibility of a nice bit of silverware for the trophy cabinet. I think I prefer the latter.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Yes, winning a title in one of the most competitive leagues in Europe beats a runners up medal in the FA Cup in my eyes!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Rewind to 1983 - the FA Cup Final still mattered, and was seen as THE showpiece football event of the season, maybe to some bigger than the European Cup. Being Division 2 Champions then would not have come close to the prestige of being an FA Cup finalist.

It's all different now. The FA Cup has now been massively devalued in all departments. The emphasis today is league position be it in the Premier League, with the aim of achieving a European qualification, or, in the Albion's case promotion to the Premier League with being Champions as the icing on the cake.

Back in 1983 we lost the cup replay and had nothing to show for it, apart from some wonderful memories and the dreaded spectre of relegation. This time we are joining the top table, literally, and with the distinct possibility of a nice bit of silverware for the trophy cabinet. I think I prefer the latter.

You're right. I've still got a copy of the Radio Times for cup final week, with Albion on the front cover (that was a big deal in those days) On the other hand, a picture of Bruno raising the same trophy that Danny Blanchflower held in 1961, when Spurs achieved the first "double" in modern times, meaning we are the Football League Champions would be pretty big to me as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here