Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would the Championship Title Eclipse being FA Cup runners up?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sadly, I have to go for a YES. The Championship is the 6th most important league in the world, and the competition is probably tougher than some of those higher up that list. That, combined with promotion and the riches that brings, means it is FAR more important than coming second, losers, in the FA Cup, and I was there.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Whilst we shall win on Saturday and hence be Champions, I would wager 50p that TB et al are NOT too bothered. Promotion is all.

He is bothered as are the manager and players. You can put a price on promotion but not on a historic championship. They all want the trophy.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
No.
Simply being at Highbury and then twice at Wembley with the Albion are high points in my life.
I remember being promoted to the first division but have forgotten the details, although I do remember losing at Villa 2-1 in our first away game and missed our goal as I noticed the giant "AV" in the floodlights.........
Those were special moments.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's hard to believe now how massive an occasion the Cup Final was back then. We received far more publicity worldwide for getting there than we have for being promoted.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
No brainier of course it does.

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yes now days (6th most prestigious league I would say and massive in terms of changing the club's short term future) but back in the day FA Cup was so important, if we'd won it I think that would have eclipsed this.

Let's finish the job off now in the next game or two and not have others complete our achievement for us (well put the icing on it for us at least)

DavePage

Went to every game in the Cup that year, we had our chance, but (he didn’t). Felt at the time we were obsessed with Steve Foster (and I was a fan) not playing. The replay was like we had them almost, now we have SF back, it’s our for the taking. Not really. Back in the day of the helicopter arrival to the white shoes.

46 games in the toughest league to get out of, against the hottest favourite to win the league, with the best home record (everywhere) 22 clean sheets, only 8 defeats, four players on double figures for the league, 12 players have scored for us in the league, hell we even have a goalkeeper the has scored twice.
Caused the biggest party, showing the player/fan relationship.
I believe if we had won the FA cup THIS would be a bigger achievement.
What’s worse is i’m nowhere near it.
umm whats the question again?

YES

With this being a extraordinary year with my Father-in-Law dying in Feb (Bradford Fan) and all that this season has given us (that’s without even speaking about last year).
I have never cried so much for good or bad reasons in one year.
Target now is to get to the Amex before I follow my Father-in-Law

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We never really won a major trophy and never won the 2nd tier of English football.

Aside of the money of getting promotion into PL,would winning the league on Sat eclipse being runners up in 83?

The Charity Shield was MASSIVE when we won it, not like the community shield is now.

Winning the Football League eclipse not winning the FA Cup ? Yes, of course.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would never have thought to compare the two but if we must then one saw the beginning of the club's demise ( although we had no idea what was coming). The other could be the next step in an epic recovery ( although we have no idea what's coming :smile:). For that reason I am voting yes. At least we would actually be winning something!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
At the time FA cup was huge so all depends on your age what you are going to say. No is my answer as I remember it so well and everything that went with it,

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Winning a few games and then losing a replay 4-0 is not a great achievement compared to a 46 game season.

What we now need to do is aim to achieve our highest evet league finish next season or in the future.

Who can recall that night win at the Dell which stopped them going top and with that win we were a top 4 side in the top English division.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If we had not sacked Bailey our manager in Div 1 could we have survived a few more seasons.
He was a defensive manager and in his time a very good fullback and capt of Wolves.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here