Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Contract durations of Albion players: first team and development squad

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Definitely - 200+ Premier League games would be invaluable and the thing is with Sidwell (like Bruno and Rosenior) he gets better with age.

Sidders would definitely be useful experience to come off the bench to see out games when point gathering becomes vital, well worth a season contract.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I've seen you've indicated that Connolly is a first-year scholar. What does that mean, for the uninitiated? Is this the same with Jayson (sp -- I know what you're like) Molumby, who I couldn't locate on your list. In terms of DS, I'm hoping that Tilley gets a new contract.

[I apologize if this post is long but you did ask and hopefully it is informative].
In Albion's academy there are age level sides from under-9 up to under-16. A lad's date of birth determines which age category he falls into each season (so, for 2016-17, a player born between September 1st 2000 and August 31st 2001 is an U-16. If he was born on August 10th 2000 he would be a 1st-year scholar and if he was born on September 5th 2001 he would be an U-15). Players from U-9 to U-16 are all considered to be "schoolboys" because, well, they are still at school.

Whilst a player's birthdate determines his age category, he may still play "up" a year or two if he is good enough. An U-15 player might well spend the season playing for his club's U-16 side if he is highly-rated (and even make an occasional appearance for the U-18s).

During a lad's U-16 season the club has to decide whether to offer him a scholarship. Scholarships are two-year contracts which effectively cover the U-17 (1st-year scholar) and U-18 (2nd-year scholar) age groups. In English football there is really no such thing as an U-17 team; players from both scholar years form the U-18 side (typically called the youth team) which, for a Category 1 club such as Albion, plays in the U-18 Premier League.

[Older NSC readers will remember YTS trainees and, before that, apprentices; they are all variations on the same theme, the name has simply changed over the years].

A club may not register a player as a professional before his 17th birthday. Some clubs, such as Chelsea and Arsenal, tend to sign their scholars on professional contracts on the day they reach 17. Other clubs, including Albion, tend to wait until the end of the two-year scholarship before signing their lads to professional contracts.

Once a player graduates from the youth team (U-18s) he will move up into the U-23 side (which used to be called the U-21s up until last season). Again, U-15s, U-16s, 1st- and 2nd- year scholars may all make appearances at U-23 level, but it will typically be players who are above U-18 level and are now on professional contracts.

When I wrote up my contracts list I decided to only include players that (as far as I am aware) have been signed by Albion on professional contracts. That is why there are some players listed (Luis Garcia, Rian O'Sullivan) who have made very few appearances for the U-23 side, but are professionals. There are other players not listed (Aaron Connolly, Jayson Molumby) who have had a real impact for the U-23s but have not yet (I believe) been registered on professional contracts. Connolly is a 1st-year scholar this season; Molumby is a 2nd-year.

I have done my best to show accurate information but it is hampered by the fact that the club in recent years has virtually clammed up entirely when it comes to providing information on scholars and contracts provided to young professionals. I don't think the club even published any details this season of their new scholars, which I have never known before. Fortunately we have the FA's monthly player registration documents and the Football League/Premier League end-of-season retain-and-transfer publications that fill in the gaps.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
[I apologize if this post is long but you did ask and hopefully it is informative].
In Albion's academy there are age level sides from under-9 up to under-16. A lad's date of birth determines which age category he falls into each season (so, for 2016-17, a player born between September 1st 2000 and August 31st 2001 is an U-16. If he was born on August 10th 2000 he would be a 1st-year scholar and if he was born on September 5th 2001 he would be an U-15). Players from U-9 to U-16 are all considered to be "schoolboys" because, well, they are still at school.

Whilst a player's birthdate determines his age category, he may still play "up" a year or two if he is good enough. An U-15 player might well spend the season playing for his club's U-16 side if he is highly-rated (and even make an occasional appearance for the U-18s).

During a lad's U-16 season the club has to decide whether to offer him a scholarship. Scholarships are two-year contracts which effectively cover the U-17 (1st-year scholar) and U-18 (2nd-year scholar) age groups. In English football there is really no such thing as an U-17 team; players from both scholar years form the U-18 side (typically called the youth team) which, for a Category 1 club such as Albion, plays in the U-18 Premier League.

[Older NSC readers will remember YTS trainees and, before that, apprentices; they are all variations on the same theme, the name has simply changed over the years].

A club may not register a player as a professional before his 17th birthday. Some clubs, such as Chelsea and Arsenal, tend to sign their scholars on professional contracts on the day they reach 17. Other clubs, including Albion, tend to wait until the end of the two-year scholarship before signing their lads to professional contracts.

Once a player graduates from the youth team (U-18s) he will move up into the U-23 side (which used to be called the U-21s up until last season). Again, U-15s, U-16s, 1st- and 2nd- year scholars may all make appearances at U-23 level, but it will typically be players who are above U-18 level and are now on professional contracts.

When I wrote up my contracts list I decided to only include players that (as far as I am aware) have been signed by Albion on professional contracts. That is why there are some players listed (Luis Garcia, Rian O'Sullivan) who have made very few appearances for the U-23 side, but are professionals. There are other players not listed (Aaron Connolly, Jayson Molumby) who have had a real impact for the U-23s but have not yet (I believe) been registered on professional contracts. Connolly is a 1st-year scholar this season; Molumby is a 2nd-year.

I have done my best to show accurate information but it is hampered by the fact that the club in recent years has virtually clammed up entirely when it comes to providing information on scholars and contracts provided to young professionals. I don't think the club even published any details this season of their new scholars, which I have never known before. Fortunately we have the FA's monthly player registration documents and the Football League/Premier League end-of-season retain-and-transfer publications that fill in the gaps.

I did ask, and it's undoubtedly informative, for which I'm extremely grateful. But apologies from deflecting you from War and Peace, Leo :wink:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
oops!

had totally forgotten Ankergren!

I thought he was now the U18 Goalkeeping coach - you always see him at the U23 games. Most clubs need that 4th registered keeper as back up in the rare instance you lose all three to injury and long term loans. Great experience and I imagine not a high expense.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Cup games are needed for our 2nd and 3rd string keepers. Casper should stick to coaching I reckon and sure if we suddenly get all 3 real keepers out at once, we can do an emergancy loan for someone much much better

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
O'Grady ,Elvis Manu and Chuba Akpom surely should be gone.
Leaving only
Baldock,Hemed and murray!. as forwards

Need to buy at least one High profile Premiership quality striker next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here