Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else really excited about Bananarama coming to Brighton

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I saw them perform (mime) at Coasters, Kingswest on a Saturday night in about 1983 or 1984. A small 'set' in the middle of the usual crazy nightclub evening there. Then we stood besides them at the bar as we ordered our tenth round of Oranjebooms! They were tiny in height.

I always fancied Siobhan and cute New Wave image and sex appeal. But Kerren has aged the least and is a natural looker.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I was hoping for a touring oldies/reunion festival with Bananarama, OingoBoingo, and Chumbawumba.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Marvellous!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Very excited to be seeing them. Got a good crowd of six of us going. Glad to see that Keren looks as hot as ever.

I wonder if they might just get Neville Staples to support them. He's got a new album out this year after all.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Please please check the ticket price out , still laughing cheapest seats £95 !!!

I had friends say that but I had a look at the Ticketmaster site that I was directed to from the Brighton Centre website and there were still tickets available for £39 (+ fiver booking fee, robbing *******s).

So you're all going to Bananabloodyrama despite having never been or not been for a long time?

What about the long suffering fans that can't get tickets?

Hope someone starts asking you how long you like them for? How many albums have you got? How many goals did Nathan Jones score etc....

Plastics eh

Don't forget your half n half scarves with the support act

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I am failing to see the Banarama (appalling girl band who never played an instrument) link to XTC ( brilliant band who produced some of the best albums-14 in total from 1979 to quite recently.)

I am failing to see the Banarama (appalling girl band who never played an instrument) link to XTC ( brilliant band who produced some of the best albums-14 in total from 1979 to quite recently.)

Bizzare link, anyway XTC live is a proper long shot to say the least, the band don't talk to each other and apart from anything else Andy Partridge never liked playing live in any case also he's not really into money so wouldn't do it for that reason.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I quite liked XTC back in the day. A former friend of mine used to go out with Barry Andrews but I don't hold that against him

XTC got caned MERCILESSLY by the NME back in the day. The accusation, that they had a helluva time shaking off, was that they were 'clever-clever'. In fact the record company were so desperate for any kind of positive press at the time that they went to the lengths of arranging a 'tour' of South East Asia where they played in tiny random clubs in front of a couple of hundred of totally bemused locals. Naturally representatives of the UK music press were invited to attend the 'tour', in exchange for extended in-depth coverage of the band, all itemised expenses and no doubt a whole load of un-itemised extras. Only positive coverage of XTC in NME I ever did see :lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
XTC got caned MERCILESSLY by the NME back in the day. The accusation, that they had a helluva time shaking off, was that they were 'clever-clever'. In fact the record company were so desperate for any kind of positive press at the time that they went to the lengths of arranging a 'tour' of South East Asia where they played in tiny random clubs in front of a couple of hundred of totally bemused locals. Naturally representatives of the UK music press were invited to attend the 'tour', in exchange for extended in-depth coverage of the band, all itemised expenses and no doubt a whole load of un-itemised extras. Only positive coverage of XTC in NME I ever did see :lol:

I don't remember that. Nor do I remember XTC getting caned in the music press - although by the late 70s/early 80s, I wasn't such an avid reader of NME. It's sad that being seen as 'clever' is a negative though ... only in Britain :down:

But I'm still shaking my head at the idea that XTC and Banarama are comparable: what next? If you're interested in seeing Kraftwerk does that mean you'd toddle along to Kajagoogoo revival?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My ex wife liked Bananarama, and as a duty I went to see them with her at Wemnbley Arena (I think) in 1989 (I think). I was expecting it to be quite fun, and a departure from the usual gigs I was going to at the time. Their link to the Fun Boy Three when they started left me kindly disposed to them.

It was horrendous. Full of pre-teens and young teenagers doing choreographed dances, horrible publicity tat everywhere, some dire boy band as support.

It made me feel uncomfortable.

I suppose all those kids have grown up now, and I'm sure that they will enjoy themselves, taking a trip down memory lane. It's a journey I will not be taking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here