Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joke du jour

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Then you'd be wrong. Some Brexiteers may be particularly hardline on certain issues but there isn't a single Brexit-supporting politician that I can think of who is that universally intolerant of human rights across the board that it's comparable to Saudi culture.

I think if you start comparing Western politicians with the likes of the Saudis then you are in grave danger of downplaying just how despicable that regime is and how incompatible their mindset is with the values we hold dear.

to be honest, it's difficult, for me at least, to think of values as "ours" post brexit

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Then you'd be wrong. Some Brexiteers may be particularly hardline on certain issues but there isn't a single Brexit-supporting politician that I can think of who is that universally intolerant of human rights across the board that it's comparable to Saudi culture.

I think if you start comparing Western politicians with the likes of the Saudis then you are in grave danger of downplaying just how despicable that regime is and how incompatible their mindset is with the values we hold dear.

I take your point but given how much cosying up to the Saudis May has been doing and our general eagerness to sell them weapons I feel some comparison of their respective ethics is apt

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
.... and how much UK property and land does it owe. Imagine if Saudi Arabia & Qatar nationals were to sell off / pull out of London, there would be an unbelievable collapse of the capital's property sector

Not just property.

Saudis and Qatar have billions invested all across Europe in various business ventures. These have also allowed and given rise to large amounts of investment from European countries into Saudi and Qatar interests involving thousands and thousands of European jobs and billions into economic European coffers.

Everyone agrees these countries make you want to fart in their general direction.
But what do you do?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I take your point but given how much cosying up to the Saudis May has been doing and our general eagerness to sell them weapons I feel some comparison of their respective ethics is apt

It may be apt but is it wanted in this country?
Saudi ethics are based on the Sharia from both the Quran and the Sunnah.

I am all for criticising them, but many in this country detest talking badly about Islam. Its a hard difficult fight you are asking for

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here