Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle v Preston

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, by referencing the money spent, the implication is that it cheapens the achievement. 'Well sure you won promotion, but you spent loads of money' Do you see? When the world and his dog is adding a caveat to your achievement it ruffles feathers. Had people said 'Well sure, you won promotion, but Hughton had the most time to work with the best squad', I'm sure you'd feel the need to defend his achievement, no?

I would say, I'm damn glad we've got Hughton as our manager, and that we have kept him. We're happy with the stability we have at the club and the way we're building. Rejoicing, not defending.

If I were a Newcastle fan, I would say I'm damn glad we had £55M to spare, and that Benitez spent it well. Rejoicing, not defending.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That's quite amusing - that in your mind, Burton and Rotherham are to us, what we are to you (despite sitting above you in the league).

I consider my head to be duly patted.

He was referring to respective budgets. Not club 'size'.

Have you had Burton and Rotherham fans congratulating you on your successes while referencing the amount you spent on players? Course not, that would be churlish.

I've actually had Hudds fans congratulate us while referencing our losses, so yes we do know what it's like.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Except that a team spent more than us, and look like they'll finish about 10th, so it's churlish to dismiss Benitez' achievement.

I think Villa were in a total mess. I fully expect them to win the league next season and so they should. I am happy Newcastle went up, what I don't like is the notion that you spent nothing.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
That's quite amusing - that in your mind, Burton and Rotherham are to us, what we are to you (despite sitting above you in the league).

Don't be precious, I was just choosing two teams off the top of my head that would definitely spent less than you.

Yes, it's a mistake to say it was parachute payments. The money was from player sales, but it makes no difference where the money came from, the total cost of your squad is huge. I think you may have subs that cost more than our entire squad. Not that I'm complaining about your team, I hardly expect you to try and do it on the cheap to make things fair, it is what it is.

Have we? I thought you had :shrug:

Thanks.

We have spent far far more than them, so we should be finishing above them. If we were celebrating finishing above them, they'd be right to say 'well so you bloody should with the amount you've spent'. But we're celebrating promotion, and that's not so easy on the amount we've spent. So your comparison doesn't quite work.
Right, but we're celebrating promotion, not anything else, so I don't get your point?

I'll take your word for it that Villa spent more on new signings, but what about the existing squad that you kept - was Villa's or your squad more expensive (transfer fees and wages)?

No idea, but it wouldn't be drastically different. Certainly not enough to make the difference between 2nd and 10th.
I wonder how much of the £55m would have been spent on players for this season without parachute payments?

All of it. We made £80m on transfers, so we could spend £55 and still afford a 2nd season in the 2nd tier, because our owner is rich and would, if needs be, footba the bill to get us back up there.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017

Yes, it's a mistake to say it was parachute payments. The money was from player sales, but it makes no difference where the money came from, the total cost of your squad is huge. I think you may have subs that cost more than our entire squad. Not that I'm complaining about your team, I hardly expect you to try and do it on the cheap to make things fair, it is what it is.

Have we? I thought you had :shrug:

Thanks.

We have spent far far more than them, so we should be finishing above them. If we were celebrating finishing above them, they'd be right to say 'well so you bloody should with the amount you've spent'. But we're celebrating promotion, and that's not so easy on the amount we've spent. So your comparison doesn't quite work.

I'll take your word for it that Villa spent more on new signings, but what about the existing squad that you kept - was Villa's or your squad more expensive (transfer fees and wages)?

I wonder how much of the £55m would have been spent on players for this season without parachute payments?

I would say, I'm damn glad we've got Hughton as our manager, and that we have kept him. We're happy with the stability we have at the club and the way we're building. Rejoicing, not defending.

If I were a Newcastle fan, I would say I'm damn glad we had £55M to spare, and that Benitez spent it well. Rejoicing, not defending.
We've had it all season long. Failed to beat Fulham? But look what you spent! Fail to beat Huddersfield "But parachute payments?!" Smash Reading "Well, of course you did, you spent a fortune".

So when we clinch automatic promotion with games to spare, and the very first thing people say after "Congratulations" is "I mean, obviously a can of tuna could have guided a team that cost that much up, but well done anyway", it rankles. If you (indefinite you) want to congratulate us, feel free. If you (indefinite you) can't do it without caveating your (indefinite your) little tuches off, I wouldn't bother. ;)

He was referring to respective budgets. Not club 'size'.

I've actually had Hudds fans congratulate us while referencing our losses, so yes we do know what it's like.

Aye exactly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We've had it all season long. Failed to beat Fulham? But look what you spent! Fail to beat Huddersfield "But parachute payments?!" Smash Reading "Well, of course you did, you spent a fortune".

Because it's true. You may not wish to hear it, which I understand. But it doesn't change the facts.

So when we clinch automatic promotion with games to spare, and the very first thing people say after "Congratulations" is "I mean, obviously a can of tuna could have guided a team that cost that much up, but well done anyway", it rankles. If you (indefinite you) want to congratulate us, feel free. If you (indefinite you) can't do it without caveating your (indefinite your) little tuches off, I wouldn't bother. ;)

You don't HAVE to be here, on a rival's message board, the day after your glorious (not in any way related to your resources) promotion, you know?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Aye exactly.

The truth hurts sometimes...But congratulations.. Rafa's meagre wages must be due a substantial increase!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Right, but we're celebrating promotion, not anything else, so I don't get your point?
The point is that people are congratulating you with the caveat of how much you've spent, and you're comparing that to Burton and Rotherham fans doing likewise to us - the comparison doesn't make sense. We have about the 9th or lower budget in the division, so why would anyone caveat our success with how much we've spent?

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I think Villa were in a total mess. I fully expect them to win the league next season and so they should. I am happy Newcastle went up, what I don't like is the notion that you spent nothing.

I think therein lies the rub, I've only ever seen "Actually we made a profit" after someone has accused us of spending more than anyone else to buy the league.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think therein lies the rub, I've only ever seen "Actually we made a profit" after someone has accused us of spending more than anyone else to buy the league.

I think I've now established why you don't get it.

You seem to believe that 'spending a fortune' and 'making a profit' were mutually exclusive. They weren't. You did both.

You had a SHITLOAD of cash (all properly earned, and fully entitled to spend it) to all but guarantee your promotion. And you did it. Congratulations.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
The point is that people are congratulating you with the caveat of how much you've spent, and you're comparing that to Burton and Rotherham fans doing likewise to us - the comparison doesn't make sense. We have about the 9th or lower budget in the division, so why would anyone caveat our success with how much we've spent?

Because it's significantly more than Burton and Rotherham, just as our budget is significantly higher than yours.To prove that were they to caveat your success, you'd find it a tough pill to swallow. You did the job using the funds you had available. As every club should.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Because it's significantly more than Burton and Rotherham, just as our budget is significantly higher than yours.To prove that were they to caveat your success, you'd find it a tough pill to swallow. You did the job using the funds you had available. As every club should.

But to achieve our promotion, we've finished above 7 (hopefully 8) clubs who had BIGGER budgets than ours, so if people were to suggest that, they'd be a little bit simple. I'd expect we'd just smile at them, and pat them on the head.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The net spend of Newcastle is a complete irrelevance though. The fact is, in one transfer window you traded and brought in a set of players on a financial plain that is on a COMPLETELY different level to what just about everyone else in this division barring Villa could possibly afford. Now that in itself doesn't guarantee success of course (as Villa will attest). Benitez still had to mould a team out of that to get you up, and as he's a decent manager, he succeeded.

But Rafa has always had that huge advantage of shopping at Harvey Nichols, while the rest of us for the most part are sifting through the clearance baskets in TK Maxx. That's just a fact, and it IS a caveat when it comes to analysing the achievement of getting by far and away the biggest club in the division back up at the first time of asking.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
So when we clinch automatic promotion with games to spare, and the very first thing people say after "Congratulations" is "I mean, obviously a can of tuna could have guided a team that cost that much up, but well done anyway", it rankles.

If think you are being rather unkind to the can of Tuna. You should have walked the league, with the budget and players at your disposale, you didnt though.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I think I've now established why you don't get it.

You seem to believe that 'spending a fortune' and 'making a profit' were mutually exclusive. They weren't. You did both.

You had a SHITLOAD of cash (all properly earned, and fully entitled to spend it) to all but guarantee your promotion. And you did it. Congratulations.

Nope. We spent a shitload of cash to build a good championship squad. Nowhere near close to being good enough to "guarantee" promotion. e.g. last time we were down our squad was good enough to nigh on guarantee promotion, and few if any of our current squad would get in that team. Our squads (yours and ours) are comparable, but we had to build ours in 1 summer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When we played Newcastle, Mitrovic was an unused sub. He cost more than our entire starting eleven put together. The fact we're likely finishing above Toon is frankly hilarious, and the muted celebrations at SJP would attest to this pretty strongly.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Nope. We spent a shitload of cash to build a good championship squad. Nowhere near close to being good enough to "guarantee" promotion. e.g. last time we were down our squad was good enough to nigh on guarantee promotion, and few if any of our current squad would get in that team. Our squads (yours and ours) are comparable, but we had to build ours in 1 summer.

Oh come on...If your squad is nowhere good enough to Guarantee promotion, the rest may swell give up! You have signed Premier league players on premier league wages...

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Nope. We spent a shitload of cash to build a good championship squad. Nowhere near close to being good enough to "guarantee" promotion.

You what? You actually believe that? Do all Newcastle fans think the same way? If so what a deluded bunch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here