Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

heard on talk sport

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Goldstone Ground had a capacity of c35k and it was filled to capacity many times.

Many times? I'm not too sure about that...........

I have been there in a 35K crowd (1972), but 30K crowds were the exception rather than the rule - and in subsequent years the ground capacity was progressively reduced for safety reasons. I can't quote all the figures, but by the 87-88 season, for instance, ground capacity was down to 29K. Not that it mattered much - only four games at the Goldstone that season attracted a crowd of 10K or more..................

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Yes and I'm afraid if other kids unable to appreciate a game of football (my son's words, not mine) are in front in the queue then that's life.

I hope we keep the north west shelf to invite schoolkids for free and that we expand the family area but most kids have to learn they can't have whatever they want.

My 'able to appreciate' comment refers to children reaching an age when they can understand and enjoy a game of football whom you say 'can now f*** off'.

I would rather that our fan base grows and are able to watch a live game rather than 'f*** off'.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My 'able to appreciate' comment refers to children reaching an age when they can understand and enjoy a game of football whom you say 'can now f*** off'.

I would rather that our fan base grows and are able to watch a live game rather than 'f*** off'.

If you know of any kids who joined young seagulls, are aged 5-12, and now can't get tickets then i will back you all the way. However if you are talking about the few hundred (or maybe thousand) kids between 5-21 who want tickets now we are in the premier, you may have to fight that one on your own :shrug:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
If you know of any kids who joined young seagulls, are aged 5-12, and now can't get tickets then i will back you all the way. However if you are talking about the few hundred (or maybe thousand) kids between 5-21 who want tickets now we are in the premier, you may have to fight that one on your own :shrug:

Your view of the world is very narrow.

As I said I'd rather the Albion be a club that welcomes new fans whatever their circumstances.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Your view of the world is very narrow.

As I said I'd rather the Albion be a club tgat welcomes new fans whatever their circumstances.

I think we do, but their place in the queue will be defined by how much interest they showed before we got to the premier league. I can't see how that's unfair ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Many times? I'm not too sure about that...........

I have been there in a 35K crowd (1972), but 30K crowds were the exception rather than the rule - and in subsequent years the ground capacity was progressively reduced for safety reasons. I can't quote all the figures, but by the 87-88 season, for instance, ground capacity was down to 29K. Not that it mattered much - only four games at the Goldstone that season attracted a crowd of 10K or more..................

Football league attendances in general have grown massively since then.

When the Albion had outstanding winning teams (rarely), they could generate crowds 24,000 to 34,000.

The right players, winning football and decent Amex transport times, make large attendances feasible in the future.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
If we're going to insist on ignoring everything that has come from the club re an upgrade of the stadium and chunter on regardless, can we also include an athletics track.

#TheGoodOldDays.

You're right, even if we threw a trillion at it nothing can be done.

We should never draw sensible suppositions ourselves and believe the club religiously that for example - we had no interest in Sidwell and Stephens was 'doing some extra training' at Lancing in August to get up to speed, even though he played 90mins the week before.

Also Muzza is of no interest to us and Sam's injuries have all been minor???

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
In the EPL the stadium is basically a studio set for the television anyways. Glorified soundstage.

Bums-in-seats matters to be sure, but it's a make-or-break proposition mostly in the lower leagues.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You're right, even if we threw a trillion at it nothing can be done.

We should never draw sensible suppositions ourselves and believe the club religiously that for example - we had no interest in Sidwell and Stephens was 'doing some extra training' at Lancing in August to get up to speed, even though he played 90mins the week before.

Also Muzza is of no interest to us and Sam's injuries have all been minor???

It could be done, but those who said the arches would need to be completely demolished, we're truthful.

The cost would be in the many £10m's, possibly more to take the capacity to say 40,000.

Then who's going to pay for that. Annual PL extra income of £100m will disappear as follows: £25m on covering costs/losses currently met by TB, leaving £75m for additional player wages and transfer fees.

It's feasible, but it might have to be by another owner!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It could be done, but those who said the arches would need to be completely demolished, we're truthful.

The cost would be in the many £10m's, possibly more to take the capacity to say 40,000.

Then who's going to pay for that. Annual PL extra income of £100m will disappear as follows £25m on covering costs/losses currently met by TB, leaving £75m for additional player wages and transfer fees.

It's feasible, but it might have to be by another owner!

You're reiterating what I was saying, throw enough money at it and it can be done but it is the last thing we want to be planning or spending any money on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Football league attendances in general have grown massively since then.

When the Albion had outstanding winning teams (rarely), they could generate crowds 24,000 to 34,000.

The right players, winning football and decent Amex transport times, make large attendances feasible in the future.
Don't disagree with any of that - just making the point that although the Goldstone in its prime had a capacity of 35K (or even a tiny bit more), we didn't get 'many' 30K plus crowds back then - they were the exception, not the rule.

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
As I have said previously Richard Hebbard told me the footings are suitable for a 60k capacity BUT it would be a very expensive job and as Easy10 says virtually a rebuild of the complete top half of the stadium. If and when the crowds justify it no doubt it will be considered until then it will stay as it is with very little increase.
I've always wondered why some on here treat you with such disdain - now I know. Richard Hebberd did not speak to you about footings (which apply to houses more than stadiums) suitable for 60k. In fact I suspect he never spoke to you at all. At the time you are talking about the club was looking at upgrading to 30,000. This was perfectly possible because it had been designed in as a future proofing exercise during design.

The site is not large enough to take much more expansion and it is a truth of stadium design that to go up you must also go out. Easy 10 has it right in his posts on here. None of the roofs can be raised without affecting the whole stability of the stadium. All of the roofs including the arches are 'tied' together by the steel ring and so take away one and all the others fall down.

A further expansion is not possible.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've always wondered why some on here treat you with such disdain - now I know. Richard Hebberd did not speak to you about footings (which apply to houses more than stadiums) suitable for 60k. In fact I suspect he never spoke to you at all. At the time you are talking about the club was looking at upgrading to 30,000. This was perfectly possible because it had been designed in as a future proofing exercise during design.

The site is not large enough to take much more expansion and it is a truth of stadium design that to go up you must also go out. Easy 10 has it right in his posts on here. None of the roofs can be raised without affecting the whole stability of the stadium. All of the roofs including the arches are 'tied' together by the steel ring and so take away one and all the others fall down.

A further expansion is not possible.

Hi Richard - miss our chats at Withdean :)

So what you are basically saying is build down....

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here