Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

heard on talk sport

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Absolute rubbish. You can't double the capacity on the same footprint. As well as building upwards you would have to build out.

As most people have said, we don't need anything bigger.

I know nothing about building and regulations just repeating what RH told me among a group a couple of games after The Amex opened. A group of us said to him that it didn't look as if it would be big enough if we were successful and that was his answer. As to the actual practicality I would have no idea.

Fountainhead

Jan 31, 2011
Herts
A few hundred of these suspended between the West and East should do the trick.
And no one leaves ten minutes early....

1412668116310_wps_13_Pic_By_HotSpot_Media_DARE.jpg

theboybilly

Don't agree with those who think it's big enough. I do agree that it cannot be significantly expanded though. I think in hindsight 35k would've been better but hey ho...

Who would a 4/5k capacity increase benefit? A few hundred away fans and a small number of people just coming along for the PL ride, and only then for Man United, Arsenal or Liverpool. The rest we would probably get 32 or 33,000. All the other games,would look worse on TV because of the empty seats.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I know nothing about building and regulations just repeating what RH told me among a group a couple of games after The Amex opened. A group of us said to him that it didn't look as if it would be big enough if we were successful and that was his answer. As to the actual practicality I would have no idea.

It has been extended from 22,000 to 30,750.

that's your lot.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove

I expect he meant expansion from 22K to 30K.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Don't believe all you see and hear in the media. According to Alan Curbishley on Football on Five, we have even been in Administration during the last twenty years of our rise to the Premier League:facepalm:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agree with the comments that the current size is fine. A packed Amex is great for atmosphere.

People have had SIX years to get their arses in gear and buy Season Tickets.

Those who can't buy Season tickets (for various reasons) will just need to be quick off the mark when buying tickets on a match by match basis. I guarantee that the same people will always manage to get a ticket. The tardy ones won't.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If he did, then he was taking the piss out of you.
There must be something about BG that makes people take the piss when they see him. He's always meeting people who spin him a massive yarn.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was a group of about 6 of us talking to him and he definitely said the footings installed were adequate for 60k not that that would be the eventual capacity.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It was a group of about 6 of us talking to him and he definitely said the footings installed were adequate for 60k not that that would be the eventual capacity.

I would suggest that Richard Hebbard probably knows very little more than you about that possibility.

I don't know how many times others have to tell you (it feels like every week), but he was and remains completely wrong.

Take a look at the additional land take at White Hart Lane to see what expanding to 60k looks like. It's not happening at the AMEX any time soon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would suggest that Richard Hebbard probably knows very little more than you about that possibility.

I don't know how many times others have to tell you (it feels like every week), but he was and remains completely wrong.

Take a look at the additional land take at White Hart Lane to see what expanding to 60k looks like. It's not happening at the AMEX any time soon.

I would suggest that he knew more than anybody on here but I have never once said it is or would happen just the footings were adequate read into that what you want.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I would suggest that he knew more than anybody on here but I have never once said it is or would happen just the footings were adequate read into that what you want.

Does he. What does he do at the club? I'm a Chartered Quantity Surveyor. I can't see how you would get 60K seats in to that space. Oh, I previously worked on the piling works package, for the redeveloped Twickenham Stadium South Stand. So I know what foundations are involved in this sort of thing.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's the JCL question of the moment cause their Man Utd supporting dads can't get a ticket. Here's some advice - support your local team through thick and thin and you won't need to worry about getting a seat for 1 game every 34 years...(he says smugly
And with pride! :) )

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Also heard on Gardening Weekend "plant your Clematis Montana near to Pectranthus Burmana for a better flush of buds"

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Looks to me like we could get quite a few more seats in the East corners. Going by the season ticket waiting list, we could fill these. There is going to be a massive demand for tickets next season.

I'd say 32,000 is about right considering we get about 29,000 home fans at the moment and we will have to give 3,000 tickets to away fans in the Premier League.

Sure, if the capicity was 38,000 (not that we could build that anyway) we could probably fill it for the likes of Manchester United, but we wouldn't for Watford, Burnley and Swansea.

I doubt there will be many empty seats next season for any game, providing season ticket holders who can't go give thier card to a friend or put it on the exchange.

There is no way we could get another tier on the West or East stands. The stands behind the goals do look a bit unfinished though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I went no a stadium tour during the final few months of construction with Martin Perry and Richard Hebbard. It was quite obvious that the East stand had been designed with expansion in mind, the level was already in place for an upper concourse. Perry alluded to the fact that the entrances and exits had been designed with a greater capacity than was needed at that point, but it was still very much a "nod and a wink" over when or if it would ever happen. He might even have tapped the side of his nose when telling us.

The notion that the 'footings' (whatever they may be) would be able to accommodate a stadium which at that point would've been almost triple the size of the Amex is patently bonkers though. Perhaps you just misheard him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here