Eating Out in Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I remember when there were only two eating establishments in Brum considered good enough to get into The Good Food Guide ... The canteen at the College of Food and one Chinese Restaurant. Things have certainly improved since those days.

The college of food (now University College Birmingham) is still right up there if you're ever in town (says he as a member of the Board of Governors :lol:)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I really like il Bistro, on Market Street just round the corner from Donatellos. Never had a bad meal there and has a short but very reasonably priced wine list.

Incidentally, if you ever do find yourself in Edinburgh, I can highly recommend Bijou on Restalrig Road by Leith Links. Bit out of the way but a 25 bus will take you from the City Centre to right outside the door. Small, unprepossessing but the food is excellent.

Seems like the 25 bus is very useful wherever you are, city centre to the Bijou in Edinburgh, or city centre to the Amex in Brighton!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great list but wouldn't include Wahaca on it....generic chain restaurant, food 'OK-ish'......

My kids love Wahaca & I'd certainly prefer they ate there than McDonald's. Not where I'd take the mrs for a night out though. I will be taking her to 64 Degrees on Friday though & will report back via the correct thread [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Great list but wouldn't include Wahaca on it....generic chain restaurant, food 'OK-ish'......

Disagree. Yes, it's a chain but it's generally better than the other Mexicans I've tried and they also produce their own food on site unlike certain other Mexicans in Brighton.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Any specific Birmingham suggestions? (for those of us who'll be there on the evening of Saturday 6 May, prior to you know what...)

I avoid Broad Street as it has so many students on the piss in favour of the more adult but not too quiet area around New Street.
Worth starting at Purecraft Bar & Kitchen on the corner of Waterloo St and Victoria Square. Owned by the people who operate Simpson's ((Brum's 1st Michelin Star restaurant) it offers a good range of real ales and seriously good snack food.
Amantia, nice Mediterranean style restaurant is just round the corner on Bennetts Hill if you want something slightly more formal and if you're lucky they offer a great flamenco show. Alternatively 2 minutes away on Temple Row is the Old Joint Stock which combines good beer, decent food, and if you're interested even has a theatre (showing a play about Quentin Crisp that night I believe :lol:).
Have fun!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I avoid Broad Street as it has so many students on the piss in favour of the more adult but not too quiet area around New Street.
Worth starting at Purecraft Bar & Kitchen on the corner of Waterloo St and Victoria Square. Owned by the people who operate Simpson's ((Brum's 1st Michelin Star restaurant) it offers a good range of real ales and seriously good snack food.
Amantia, nice Mediterranean style restaurant is just round the corner on Bennetts Hill if you want something slightly more formal and if you're lucky they offer a great flamenco show. Alternatively 2 minutes away on Temple Row is the Old Joint Stock which combines good beer, decent food, and if you're interested even has a theatre.
Have fun!

Many thanks - really helpful to have some suggestions from someone who knows the area. Looking forward to it!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If a short list of good restaurants in Brighton includes a burger joint and a Mexican chain, then that should tell you all you need to know.
Brighton for fine dining, considering its wealth and population is shocking.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My kids love Wahaca & I'd certainly prefer they ate there than McDonald's. Not where I'd take the mrs for a night out though. I will be taking her to 64 Degrees on Friday though & will report back via the correct thread [emoji3]

Oh I wasn't meaning Wahaca is bad.......just didn't seem to fit with the rest of that list. It's the Asian equivalent of say Byron if you like a burger.......sure the kids love it as it's always noisy !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disagree. Yes, it's a chain but it's generally better than the other Mexicans I've tried and they also produce their own food on site unlike certain other Mexicans in Brighton.

They've found a niche.......ok food at a reasonable price.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Amantia, nice Mediterranean style restaurant is just round the corner on Bennetts Hill if you want something slightly more formal and if you're lucky they offer a great flamenco show. Alternatively 2 minutes away on Temple Row is the Old Joint Stock which combines good beer, decent food, and if you're interested even has a theatre (showing a play about Quentin Crisp that night I believe :lol:).
Have fun!

I'll also be in Birmingham on Sat 6th (I wonder why), and we're looking for the following:
-- a curry house for Sat night, after good quality, which could be cheap or expensive
-- a few of the very best places for breakfast for Sun morning, preferably with some decent bottles of champagne or English fizz on the list (again, I wonder why)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I'll also be in Birmingham on Sat 6th (I wonder why), and we're looking for the following:
-- a curry house for Sat night, after good quality, which could be cheap or expensive
-- a few of the very best places for breakfast for Sun morning, preferably with some decent bottles of champagne or English fizz on the list (again, I wonder why)

Birmingham is the home of the Balti and its Mecca is Ladypool Road just outside the centre. My personal favourite is Imran's but if you've ever been to Manchester's curry mile you'll know there is plenty of choice.
If you prefer to stay in the town centre a great upmarket curry restaurant is Lasan in St Paul's Square. Chef/proprietor is Aktar Islam, a regular on Saturday Morning Kitchen.
For Sunday morning choose either All Bar One in Brindley Place, or my favourite, Urban Coffee Company on Church St.
Both do a bottomless brunch with bellinis or prosecco for between £20-£25 and are open from about 10am. Dont expect to want to leave in a hurry!

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Keeping a close eye on the responses to this particular post. A champagne breakfast sounds a perfect start to the day.

Dinner wise I have been to this place before and it's very good quality and no-nonsense. http://www.alfrash.com

Number 6 in The Guardian top 10.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2007/sep/07/top10.restaurants?page=2

As an aside I did the number 1 last week (I dread to think how many times I've bee over the past 30 odd years) the night before St John.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Thread closed......

sing-li.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills