Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eating Out in Brighton

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I left Brighton long before the recent surge in British gastronomy. My memories of decent food around the town are that they were few and far between - I remember a restaurant (Prinnys?) in Steine Street which I think is now Il Duomo, and the Copper Kettle in Kemp Town that tried to do French inspired food and there was a Sri Lankan curry house somewhere up Western Road way that offered a decent curry.
I was younger of course and my budget was limited and mostly used to buy beer so I probably missed a lot.
In recent years though, visiting for football, I've really struggled to find that the City's dining "offer" has improved.
Chilli Pickle is an improvement on what used to be but what else am I missing out on?

Living in the Midlands now I am well served with quality dining experiences from basic street food to Michelin starred restaurants. The contrast to Brighton is stark and frankly surprising.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If you like tapas, you won't go far wrong with Casa Don Carlos, in the Lanes, opposite the Font. You would need to book a table, for the evening.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Coal Shed, Salt Rooms, Chilli Pickle, Little Fish Market, Planet India (x2), 64 degrees, Indian Summer, Semolina, Etch, Eastern Eye, Senor Buddha, Polpo, Wahaca, Riddle & Finns, Fatto a Mano, Franco Manca, The Set, Bus Stop, The Jetty, Busby and Wilds, Isaac At, Giggling Squid, Terre a Terre, Bincho Yakitori, Moshimo, Cin Cin, Coggings & Co, Meat Liquor, La Choza, Fourth and Church, Solera D Tapas.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Coal Shed, Salt Rooms, Chilli Pickle, Little Fish Market, Planet India (x2), 64 degrees, Indian Summer, Semolina, Etch, Eastern Eye, Senor Buddha, Polpo, Wahaca, Riddle & Finns, Fatto a Mano, Franco Manca, The Set, Bus Stop, The Jetty, Busby and Wilds, Isaac At, Giggling Squid, Terre a Terre, Bincho Yakitori, Moshimo, Cin Cin, Coggings & Co, Meat Liquor, La Choza, Fourth and Church, Solera D Tapas.

Is that all? lol.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Great list but wouldn't include Wahaca on it....generic chain restaurant, food 'OK-ish'......

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Decent list particularly those in bold except Wahaca is a bog standard chain and Meat Liquor is nothing special in my opinion.

Add in

Burger Bros.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Food For Friends, Plateau, Burger Brothers, Sing Li, Mange Tout, whatever the Troll is doing at the time, Street Diner.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton doesn't step into high end Michelin star fine dining but it's well served below this. To suggest anything else is incorrect.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Along with fellow members of the NSC illuminati recently tried the New Club, in the shadow of the i360.

Very good. Can recommend the fish tacos with wasabi :thumbsup:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Decent list particularly those in bold except Wahaca is a bog standard chain and Meat Liquor is nothing special in my opinion.

Add in

Burger Bros.

Oh noooo, not Burger Brothers again. And please don't tell me that it is a 'gourmet' burger restaurant, because for me, the two words don't go together. A burger is just a burger, end of. Nothing necessarily wrong with a burger, but is it much more than a snack?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh noooo, not Burger Brothers again. And please don't tell me that it is a 'gourmet' burger restaurant, because for me, the two words don't go together. A burger is just a burger, end of. Nothing necessarily wrong with a burger, but is it much more than a snack?

I'll go along with much on that list from [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION], but Burger Bros' burgers are a sheer delight. They're more than a snack; they're exemplars. I've no need to describe it as gourmet, but when you want something quick and tasty, it's a fine place to go. As is the new Belgian Chips place on St James' St.
For another cheap but quality place to add to Chappers' list, I'd add in New Era on Queens St.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

They put CRACK in them burgers. They're incredible.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I left Brighton long before the recent surge in British gastronomy. My memories of decent food around the town are that they were few and far between - I remember a restaurant (Prinnys?) in Steine Street which I think is now Il Duomo, and the Copper Kettle in Kemp Town that tried to do French inspired food and there was a Sri Lankan curry house somewhere up Western Road way that offered a decent curry.
I was younger of course and my budget was limited and mostly used to buy beer so I probably missed a lot.
In recent years though, visiting for football, I've really struggled to find that the City's dining "offer" has improved.
Chilli Pickle is an improvement on what used to be but what else am I missing out on?

This thread is your new best friend here

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?346711-Restaurant-2017

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I actually quite like Giggling Squid, (the Horsham branch anyway), although agree it is almost a chain now.

Chilli Pickle are seeking crowdfunding to expand to a (small) chain which is what caused me to reflect on the few enjoyable food experiences I've had in Brighton as an occasional and brief (there's never enough spare time to look around properly) visitor. Armed with the lists from here should improve future visits. :thumbsup:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Must also include Curry Leaf Cafe, which gives Chilli Pickle a good run for its money in what is, for me, a much nicer atmosphere,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here