Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early leavers at Manchester City

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The problem is we're all a bunch of self centred, self important, bloviating ninnies.

The bottom line is the club has over 28,000 people all wanting to do the same thing, at the same time.
The fact that the decks are cleared within 30 minutes, is frankly amazing.

Just not amazing enough for the ingrained self righteous, holier than thou, me me me attitude that sums up the people of Brighton.

Not really. Perhaps you need to calm down a little? We all understand that it takes time to get so many people away from the match. The premise of the question was how to improve things for those that leave early to avoid queueing which on weeknights can be horrendous. As highlighted, those with kids or with an early start or those that live far away are understandably more likely to leave a few minutes early.
Coaches were still stuck in the coach park at Norwich 35 minutes after the game on Friday. I am ordering my 1st pint in the pub in Hove not much longer than that after home games
It's great that the transport works so well for the majority of people. I genuinely think the club has done marvellously well on the whole. Sometimes I wish I lived more locally as well.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Somehow, don't know where, put another bridge sized car park in the vicinity.

That's not going to happen. One of the reasons planning permission was granted was the restricted amount of dedicated parking that would be provided. Also, Brighton make great play of being the club with the highest percentage of fans arriving at the ground by sustainable transport.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
If you have a round trip of 300 miles or more for every home game - you've taken a half day off work yet again for yet another evening k.o. - you've faced the nightmare of the M25 and a other chaotic motorways to arrive just in time - which can be partially closed for night maintenance on your return journey meaning you wont get home until 1 00 am, then I think those fans should be allowed to leave 2 minutes before the final whistle to save 15 minutes getting out of the car parks, with a clear conscience.

Christ, if you've done all that, why would you want to leave early?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not against those leaving early at all, it's a free country, and 5 minutes can mean getting home 30 minutes or more earlier.

But some questions, if anyone knows or want to come clean:

Why do thousands leave between say 70 and 85 minutes EVERY game? Look at the East Stand and WSL, it's so noticeable.

What tangible advantage does that give them over those leaving on 85 minutes?

Is it worth missing 20 minutes of football?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
The traffic light phasing is a joke, especially at night games. Traffic police or controllable lights would massively improve things and should not be massively costly. The pedestrian stream across the exit from bridge car park should also be addressed. Footbridge up and over or reroute pedestrians to back of car park?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
"Another alternative would be to keep concourses open after the final whistle" you mean they don't at City?
And Norwich - 40 minutes after starting our journey we were closer to the stadium than when we left the car park.

AMEX
1/ A bus lane up the A27 ramp with a copper at the top turning cars using it into the Uni and fining them. All the P&R buses could be turned around in minutes. Expect the club would then drop a few buses though.
2/ Police at the Bridge lights getting the cars out quick. There would need to be a change further down the road as this junction also gets clogged up.
3/ Polic at the lights leaving the Amex. Again priority to buses.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"Another alternative would be to keep concourses open after the final whistle" you mean they don't at City?
And Norwich - 40 minutes after starting our journey we were closer to the stadium than when we left the car park.

AMEX
1/ A bus lane up the A27 ramp with a copper at the top turning cars using it into the Uni and fining them. All the P&R buses could be turned around in minutes. Expect the club would then drop a few buses though.
2/ Police at the Bridge lights getting the cars out quick. There would need to be a change further down the road as this junction also gets clogged up.
3/ Polic at the lights leaving the Amex. Again priority to buses.

No 1 would be good. Force the cheats who undertake 100's cars on the eastbound A27 ramp, to turn into the uni paper the lane markings and make that lane buses/coaches only. Enforced by a single policeman.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not against those leaving early at all, it's a free country, and 5 minutes can mean getting home 30 minutes or more earlier.

But some questions, if anyone knows or want to come clean:

Why do thousands leave between say 70 and 85 minutes EVERY game? Look at the East Stand and WSL, it's so noticeable.

What tangible advantage does that give them over those leaving on 85 minutes?

Is it worth missing 20 minutes of football?

I don't think many leave as early as 70 minutes. It's after 80 and especially getting towards the 90 that many people leave. And topmarks for including the west, but to be honest there are those that leg it from the north and south as well each game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think many leave as early as 70 minutes. It's after 80 and especially getting towards the 90 that many people leave. And topmarks for including the west, but to be honest there are those that leg it from the north and south as well each game.

Next season, glance across at the ES on circa 80 minutes, where you'll see large patches of empty blue seats by then.

I only asked as to why it happens so early?

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
When I was a season ticket holder in the WSU I was one of the guilty ones leaving early sometimes. My reason was that due to a medical condition I am a very slow walker in need of a stick.I had to try and get to the station to get a train to Eastbourne. If I missed it I had a long wait for the next one. this was a problem as there are only 2 small benches to sit on the platform.i have tried to stay to the end but the pain of standing is unbearable. so please don't treat all early leavers with such contempt. I am sure I am not the only one in this position

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Next season, glance across at the ES on circa 80 minutes, where you'll see large patches of empty blue seats by then.

I do wonder how many of the 80 minuters are also P&Rers.
Once that number is divided down by 3, I'm left wondering:-

How long are they sat on the bus waiting for it to fill up, within earshot of the game?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Looks as if the Amexit at 80 minutes is similar to the Emptihad for Citeh.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4430442/Man-City-Pep-Guardiola-wants-improve-Etihad-atmosphere.html

One thing I noted at Carrow Road on Friday was that very few fans left before the end of the match, which is probably due to the stadium being in a central position in the city, and so there are no pinch points in terms of getting home if using public transport.

Whilst loathe to do it myself, can understand why people might choose to leave a little early given the delays that can arise leaving the Amex, but are there any ways of addressing the issue?

Lots of small things the club could do' and I've been saying since The Amex opened a meeting a couple of times a season made of people who use all the different methods of transport would help.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

The east lower is never completely full even for a 'big' match. I think the swathes of empty seats are emphasised by the fact they were less full in the first place.

But as for leaving so early, it is a mystery to me as well.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Surprised to see so many empty seats at Anfield today approaching 90mins. Only a goal behind, and 6+mins of injury time. On the subject of the Amex, 2 guys and 2 kids next to me leave on 83mins religiously, even after the Wigan game on Monday, maybe they come from a long way away, but what memories those kids would have had from being on the pitch and seeing the players celebrating, just to save a few minutes queuing for a bus/train

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
One thing I noted at Carrow Road on Friday was that very few fans left before the end of the match, which is probably due to the stadium being in a central position in the city, and so there are no pinch points in terms of getting home if using public transport.

Whilst loathe to do it myself, can understand why people might choose to leave a little early given the delays that can arise leaving the Amex, but are there any ways of addressing the issue?

No pinch points? The bridge over the Yare is a major pinch point post games.

(At least it was last time we played there, admittedly some years back.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here