Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fiscal Failings from Labour Again

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
PM May has been very astute on judging the majority mood of the UK electorate and good on the rhetoric. It will be interesting to see if the manifesto matches the spin and if it is deliverable. Despite the dark shadow of our deficit/debt this election is a huge opportunity for the Conservatives, get it right they will be in power for at least ten years. (Mrs T 2.0)

Personally when i heard she had called the GE,i though NOT AGAIN!!! another waste of space CONSERVATIVE leader,upon reflection though it has been called with perhaps a view to increasing the Commons majority,Labour could have a more likable and electable leader in a few years (although i do actually agree with a few Corbyn policies and soundbites)...best get it over with early..agree

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Personally when i heard she had called the GE,i though NOT AGAIN!!! another waste of space CONSERVATIVE leader,upon reflection though it has been called with perhaps a view to increasing the Commons majority,Labour could have a more likable and electable leader in a few years (although i do actually agree with a few Corbyn policies and soundbites)...best get it over with early..agree

If x government with a small vulnerable majority are consistently polling 20+ points ahead of the opposition and are about to embark on the most complicated, difficult set of negotiations in our lifetime with numerous vested interests trying to sway the process it is probably a good idea to go for as big a majority as possible.

Realpolitik :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure that small and medium businesses actually form the backbone of the economy, I'm pretty sure that your inference of small artisan independent businesses propping up our economy is misguided. Have a look at the generic shops on most town and suburban high streets, the same national or global brands make up much of our economy. Much of this based on low or minimum wages.

you're not sure but completly incorrect, your view is based on unfounded assumptions from looking at the highstreet and blind to anything else beyond it (or on it). the vast majority of employment is through SME companies, and something ridiculous like 99% of all businesses are SME.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If x government with a small vulnerable majority are consistently polling 20+ points ahead of the opposition and are about to embark on the most complicated, difficult set of negotiations in our lifetime with numerous vested interests trying to sway the process it is probably a good idea to go for as big a majority as possible.

Realpolitik :shrug:

So nothing to do with the fact that those Tory MPs who are currently being investigated for exceeding electoral spending, if charged would have been barred from sitting in parliament thereby sending the Tories into a minority Government.

If they are returned with a larger majority it has no bearing on what deal the EU is prepared to offer. All it does is enable whatever deal we get to be hailed as the 'best for Britain' and rubber stamped without lengthy debate and challenges on the fact that the deal is a poor one for the UK.

D

Deleted member 22389

Fk all of them, sooner we do this election and do a hard Brexit the better, I'm bored of it now. Can't be doing with this remoaning any longer.

barchetta

Mar 21, 2016
Calling an election nothing to do with the 30-40 MPs files who are currently with the cps for election irregularities at the last elections that were due to be raised formally?
She really is a cynical leader who would rather forward the conservative cause through lies, deceit and fraud....and we wonder why people on the streets think they are all a bunch of crooks.
She was about to loose her majority as there are outcomes as a result of some / all of these cases that may have affected her having any majority in parliament.
these will now be dealt with after the election as purdah means these cases cant be brought to court during an election period.
Anything to cling on to power.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Calling an election nothing to do with the 30-40 MPs files who are currently with the cps for election irregularities at the last elections that were due to be raised formally?
She really is a cynical leader who would rather forward the conservative cause through lies, deceit and fraud....and we wonder why people on the streets think they are all a bunch of crooks.
She was about to loose her majority as there are outcomes as a result of some / all of these cases that may have affected her having any majority in parliament.
these will now be dealt with after the election as purdah means these cases cant be brought to court during an election period.
Anything to cling on to power.

I agree, but then why don't the people on the streets not turn up to vote, it's the only protest open to us to say we are sick and tired of all of you.
It isn't going to happen I know but if there was a groundswell to do this then I would join in.
They succeed by drawing in all the mugs who believe them, then stick 2 fingers up and carry on, even bringing things in that are not in the manifesto.
Poorest choice in my lifetime as a floating voter, millions not voting may just shake them up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funnily enough I was saying yesterday that this was reflecting early 1930's Germany.

You, saying something? Do you mean you were quoting something you'd read?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
It seems that Steptoe is not even trying to tell us that Labour have learned from their past. And just who would pay for this ridiculous bribe? Somebody else of course. If it was a plan for one or even two extra days then perhaps it might be seen as a good thing, but FOUR? The man is a fool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39682388

Oh, and the minimum wage rising to ten pounds per hour. Why not limit the working week to 25 hours whilst you are about it Jezza, and lower retirement age to 55? :facepalm:

Oh heavens forbid a politician actually care about the British people

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Oh heavens forbid a politician actually care about the British people

Care costs money, which is the bit that Lefties don't seem to grasp. Someone has to pay the bills but JC will only say 'the rich', or those with the 'broadest shoulders', what he will not define is who he believes the rich actually are.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Care costs money, which is the bit that Lefties don't seem to grasp. Someone has to pay the bills but JC will only say 'the rich', or those with the 'broadest shoulders', what he will not define is who he believes the rich actually are.

Not being able to grasp that money needs to be found and disagreeing where to find it are utterly different things.

We have had politicians from the so called progressive alliance moaning that Theresa May has no mandate and has never been elected by the voters of this country.

She calls an election and these same people are now bemoaning the fact that she has called said election to shut them up.

If you don't like her, don't vote tory in June. If you want to vote for Cribbins or Dim Tim and trust them to run this country then you now have the chance.

I will be voting Queen Theresa and will hope she fulfills my wish to remove us from the EU and all of its rules for membership. I hope we get to end the project before our French cousins do. I would hate history to say the French were the saviours of Europe.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
We have had politicians from the so called progressive alliance moaning that Theresa May has no mandate and has never been elected by the voters of this country.

She calls an election and these same people are now bemoaning the fact that she has called said election to shut them up.

If you don't like her, don't vote tory in June. If you want to vote for Cribbins or Dim Tim and trust them to run this country then you now have the chance.

I will be voting Queen Theresa and will hope she fulfills my wish to remove us from the EU and all of its rules for membership. I hope we get to end the project before our French cousins do. I would hate history to say the French were the saviours of Europe.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Watch the Italians coming up on the rails !

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So nothing to do with the fact that those Tory MPs who are currently being investigated for exceeding electoral spending, if charged would have been barred from sitting in parliament thereby sending the Tories into a minority Government.

If they are returned with a larger majority it has no bearing on what deal the EU is prepared to offer. All it does is enable whatever deal we get to be hailed as the 'best for Britain' and rubber stamped without lengthy debate and challenges on the fact that the deal is a poor one for the UK.

See small vulnerable majority.

I disagree. If she wins big with a specific mandate for her Brexit negotiating position then this is likely to influence the type of deal we can get. Even the EU welcomed the election.

"We have some hope that this will lead to a strong leader in London that can negotiate with us with strong backing by the electorate," - EU

Yes, it will be presented as the best deal for Britain. Mirrored by the EU spinning the same line from their perspective. You have already decided whatever is agreed will be a poor deal then.

*tut*

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
See small vulnerable majority.

I disagree. If she wins big with a specific mandate for her Brexit negotiating position then this is likely to influence the type of deal we can get. Even the EU welcomed the election.

"We have some hope that this will lead to a strong leader in London that can negotiate with us with strong backing by the electorate," - EU

Yes, it will be presented as the best deal for Britain. Mirrored by the EU spinning the same line from their perspective. You have already decided whatever is agreed will be a poor deal then.

*tut*

Depends on who you believe

http://news.sky.com/story/eu-brexit-negotiator-says-pms-snap-election-will-not-strengthen-hand-in-talks-10847756

Just consider the following

May - We want a free trade deal with the EU
EU - Then you must have free movement of people
May - No, We want a free trade deal with the EU
EU - As we have already stated, you must have free movement of people

The clock ticks over to 9th June

EU - Again, you must have free movement of people
May - But I've now got a majority of 83 in the House of Commons, so you must give me a free trade deal
EU - Whether you have a majority of 1 or 301 it does not change our position, you must have free movement

So it's going well, and I don't believe that an increased majority improves our position with the EU.

Whether its a good or bad deal we will have to wait and see.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Depends on who you believe

http://news.sky.com/story/eu-brexit-negotiator-says-pms-snap-election-will-not-strengthen-hand-in-talks-10847756

Just consider the following

EU - Then you must have free movement of people
May - No, We want a free trade deal with the EU
EU - As we have already stated, you must have free movement of people

The clock ticks over to 9th June

EU - Again, you must have free movement of people
May - But I've now got a majority of 83 in the House of Commons, so you must give me a free trade deal
EU - Whether you have a majority of 1 or 301 it does not change our position, you must have free movement

So it's going well, and I don't believe that an increased majority improves our position with the EU.

Whether its a good or bad deal we will have to wait and see.

Mmmm well he would say that, wouldn't he.

Depends what you mean by a 'free trade deal'. Membership of the Single market means signing up to free movement. Trade deals with the EU are not dependent on free movement.

A big majority means she can deliver on what she negotiates a small one means any deal is in danger of being voted down as some elements within the Tory party are likely to be unhappy. This certainty is bound to effect the way the negotiations are conducted.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Bit silly to still be blaming the last labour govt for the present one's failings. Not much love for either party at the moment but have zero respect for any party that tries to fob it's failings off on another. Deplorable trait. These recent batch of coward Tories are arguably the worst in history for blaming others and running away/resigning when it blows up in their faces. Despicable.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here